Make Link 2.0

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

Um... aarggh! MozillaZine stopped sending me notifications of replies to this thread. Sorry I haven't been here answering your queries, I thought it was a dead thread. Unfortunately I'm back in college now so I won't have as much time as I did over the summer. On the other hand I'll probably be looking for something to do during those Java practicals.

Rowne: The settings are kept under your profile folder in a file named <code>makelink.rdf</code> in <code>\extensions\{0B6B0D55-DFAC-4006-AEE6-25667F55A2A8}\defaults</code>. Is that file there for yours?

oldtimer: Can you fix your screenshot? I can't understand your bug from reading your description, so maybe the screenshot will help me understand it.

everyone else: If I overlooked a bug you mentioned please point it out again, it seems solutions have been found for one or more. As for needing to restart to change the options, that's a bug that wasn't there for most of the development so I should be able to locate it quickly. For moving options in the list, that was on the list of requests but I decided to go ahead and release without it because it looked so complicated. It's still in my plan for the future but it's not immediately on the radar.

I hope this post will kick MZ into sending notifications again. If I seem to dissapear again that's probably the problem. I'll checl back here anyway to be sure.
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

Thanks oldtimer, I see the bug now. Unfortunately I can't replicate it, nor do I have any idea what might cause it. All the menu items in Make Link have guaranteed unique ids so they shouldn't be able to clash with another extension's. I'm playing around with BBCode to see if I can reproduce the bug.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

finuvir wrote:All the menu items in Make Link have guaranteed unique ids so they shouldn't be able to clash with another extension's.

Which indeed makes this problem odd.

I'm playing around with BBCode to see if I can reproduce the bug.

You don't know how much I appreciate this! I actually used [endured may be a better word] FF for a month in this state. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAD TO REPOSITION THE PAGE AND RIGHT-CLICK IN THE EXACTLY THE CORRECT WAY JUST TO GET TO MY DESIRED FUNCTIONS!!!! *BREAKS OUT IN TEARS*

It was truly, truly that hurtful...
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

finuvir

It was my own ignorance, I've been using Make Link for a while now, I just forgot to post back here because I'm an air-brained idjit.

Anyway, what it was was that this (and the other extension I saw it in, Weather Fox) use an external profiles file which is accessed via an RDF javascript. Of course, I always change the GUIDs... and that's where the problem stemmed from.

I have a valid reason for changing GUIDs. I keep an active eye on my profile and extensions directory just to make sure it doesn't fubar, I like getting rid of any duplicates, accidental directories or barf-ups, even old directories that shouldn't be there anymore. It's hard to keep track of extensions however when they're all {this-that-and-the-other}. Thusly, I tend to give them names I can understand.

In Make Link's case, I used make.link.ext.

Now as I said, I'd never seen the external RDF-settings-profiley-thingy before so I didn't think to look in the Javascript files themselves for the GUID. It just dawned on me one day though when playing around with an extension that that's what it might be and ping, a few internal GUIDs changed later, I now have options!

So I just have to remember to check that now, too. *Sheepish.*

Anyway, I've been enjoying this extension for quite a while now, sorry I forgot to report back and all, it really is a grand extension and very helpful.
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

Rowne, glad to hear it's not a bug I have to fix, but I can't help wondering if there's some way to let you change the folder name and still have it work.
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

Well, there is. I just had to change the GUIDs to what I wanted to use in both JS aswell as the usual install.rdf, it's just that I'd never seen that before so I assumed that I'd broken Firefox and encountered a rare and unusual bug because of it. Which is odd considering I run such a tight ship. Heck, I'm using the same profile now that I've been using since late 0.8.

It hadn't occured to me that the culprit was in my own tampering, I'm not sure what made me think to look for it to be honest. I know what to look for now though so this'll never be an issue again. If I e'er see that again (an extension without options), I'll know exactly what to look for.

If I hadn't discovered this with Make Link and Weather Fox, it would've been some other extension, eventually. It had to be an eventuality considering I change GUIDs. Though I'm probably the only person that does do that so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.
deskareas

Post by deskareas »

How can i use a linebreak ?

So that i get:

%TEXT%
%URL%

Thanks.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

This extension is automatically disabled on RC build. I'm sure it won't work in the actual 1.0 either.

Thanks.
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

xpi: I'm afraid there's no way to include line-breaks. I'll keep this in mind for future updates, but I can't give you any idea when that'll be since I'm not actively developing it at the moment. Sorry.
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

sasquatch: I'll look into that as soon as I upgrade. I'm not planning on using the RCs so you might have to wait until 1.0 final. If you can't wait you should be able to use it by changing the app.extensions.version preference in about:config, or you can extract the xpi and change the install manifest to say that it works up to version 1.0.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Nah, I'm not going to monkey around in extension versions. That only spells trouble to me. I'd rather just do without. In this case, I'll just leave them disabled until the program tells me there is an update available.
deskareas

Post by deskareas »

finuvir wrote:xpi: I'm afraid there's no way to include line-breaks. I'll keep this in mind for future updates, but I can't give you any idea when that'll be since I'm not actively developing it at the moment. Sorry.

can you give me a hint where to add "\n" in your files ?
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

You could put

Code: Select all

case "BR":
    copyText += "\n";
    inVar = false;
    break;

in the switch statement in makelinkOverlay.js. Then you can use <code>%BR%</code> wherever you want a linebreak. You'll have to package the files back the way they were in jars and the xpi and then reinstall (preferably after uninstalling).
deskareas

Post by deskareas »

thanks.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

finuvir wrote:sasquatch: I'll look into that as soon as I upgrade. I'm not planning on using the RCs so you might have to wait until 1.0 final. If you can't wait you should be able to use it by changing the app.extensions.version preference in about:config, or you can extract the xpi and change the install manifest to say that it works up to version 1.0.

1.0 Final is out. Make Link still no worky worky.

Thanks.