New ext: Open Link/img in Background Tab, in context menu

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
neverlandfw

Re: New ext: Open Link/img in Background Tab, in context men

Post by neverlandfw »

Please, an update for Firefox 5. Thank you for all the good work, very helpful add-on.
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Now updated for Firefox 5!
neverlandfw

Post by neverlandfw »

Thank you so much for the update, firefox is so much better with this extention!
mmainello

Post by mmainello »

Great extension. Is it possible to add an option that makes opening automatic when you click on the link? I also use Permatabs Mod on FF5 and when you click on the link it opens in the background, but does not direct you to the new page. Yours works great if I right click it and it would be nice to have the option to set it automatically
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Hi mmainello, are you asking to have all links open in a new focused tab/window when clicking on them? To be honest I very much doubt that I will introduce that functionality (mainly because I've never actually figured out how normal clicking of links is handled in Firefox!) but also because it doesn't seem all that useful for the majority of users. Thanks for the suggestion though!
abuli

Post by abuli »

You updating for 6?
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Now updated for Firefox 6!
OldManRivuh

Post by OldManRivuh »

A really nice feature that is needed now is Copy URL.

Some sites are able to make background images not open in tabs/windows, and
send you to the "What do you want to do with this item" dialog box, so you
have to either save it or open it with another program.

An example is the main, top background images on Twitter, like the art image here:

https://twitter.com/PopeyeBarrnumb

There are a lot of sites that do this now.

I have a bookmarklet where I can enter the URL and it creates a page with
that image on it not as a background image.

Then I can enlarge it, look at it without other stuff on top of it, etc.

It would also be nice to have a Save image... feature so you don't
have to do multiple steps for saving.
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Hi OldManRivuh, thanks for your interest in this add-on!

Copy URL is a standard part of the Firefox context menu (Copy Link Location), so I guess you might be talking about doing a copy of the foreground/background image URL. To be honest, I'm unlikely to implement that (nor the Save Image suggestion) since you can do both of those things after having opened the image in the new tab/window, and so I don't think they really justify cluttering the UI.

I didn't understand what you were saying about some sites "blocking" background images. I am able to open both the main profile picture and the patterned webpage background using the add-on in the normal way. I note that I couldn't open the Twitter blue bird icon at the top left, but then I found that Firebug couldn't correctly identify the background image properly either! (Firefox's Page Info screen shows that it's actually https://abs.twimg.com/a/1378257772/t1/i ... _icons.png .) I'm not sure what's going on there; I guess I'll look into it at some point.
OldManRivuh

Post by OldManRivuh »

Mozcerize wrote:{snip}

Thanks for the reply.

Twitter must have JUST made a change in their website, because you can now (again) access the background
image I was talking about: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/3 ... 398540/web
So that's odd. It used to work, then stopped, now works again. And may stop working again in the future.
(I'm not sure exactly how that's accomplished, but I think it is .htaccess rewrite rules and/or doing something
to the image headers to force them to save rather than be viewable)

As of the time I wrote my post, when you tried to access that image or others like it, it would not display them
in a new tab, it would pop up the "what do you want to do with this" dialog box, which would allow you to save it.
Again MANY steps needed to look at the image. (zoom, rotate, etc.)

The reason you can't access the blue bird is because it is a CSS/style specified image and those are almost always
unavailable to the Firefox and other interfaces. MOST/ALL background images specified that way are not accessible
via your extension functionality.
Sometimes they are not even available via Page Info or the
Web Developer Extension "View Image Information" function. (because "someone" (some 'idiot') decided that
ALL images did not need to be in the images collection in the DOM, so they are scattered all over the place)

MANY sites use background images and various schemes to block access to the images.
(this is partly, sometimes, why and when your extension comes in handy)
It's a fairly common image protection scheme, and sometimes a side-effect of certain HTML implementation methods,
and there are many variations. Instagram and Flickr are two well-known sites.

That's why I and others have created Greasemonkey UserScript helpers for those instances, like:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/177363
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/61779

Some of these will not even allow the two functions I want to work, because the image is "invisible" / inaccessible.

As I said, what Firefox does not have is Copy Background Image Location and Save Background Image As...,
two much-needed features.

Computers are supposed to make things easier, partly by automating work.
This includes reducing "work", like having to do something in two (or more) steps when it could be done in one.

So I will probably add the functionality to the extension myself, like I have done with other extensions.
OldManRivuh

Post by OldManRivuh »

We're still using this for PaleMoon, and v28 broke it.

Here is the correction: (thanks to "JustOff")

Code: Select all

--- chrome\content\openlinkOverlay.js.orig   Mon Apr 25 20:24:54 2011
+++ chrome\content\openlinkOverlay.js   Mon Aug 20 22:53:34 2018
@@ -130,3 +130,3 @@
       var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].
-               getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch).getBranch('openlink.');
+               getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService).getBranch('openlink.');
       var wantSubmenu = false;
(change 'nsIPrefBranch' to 'nsIPrefService')

[Contact me if you want a copy of the corrected XPI -- or maybe the Creator will fix it]
trolly

Post by trolly »

I think after five years no one is still reading this thread. Locking.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.