New ext: Open Link/img in Background Tab, in context menu

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Mozcerize, if you think gmbwizard's problem is somehow caused by Menu Editor, please let me know.
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Hi gmbwizard,

I don't think there should be any conflicts with Menu Editor (many versions of which I have used myself without problems). Open Link in... 1.3 will place the individual items onto your CM and also a submenu containing duplicates of the link items. All these items should appear in Menu Editor (including Open in Foreground Tab *and* Open in Background Tab). Note however that you should never see both these items simultaneously in the CM itself, even if they are both enabled in Menu Editor. This is deliberate: Open in New Tab will open a tab in the foreground or background depending on your setting in the Firefox Options dialog ("Tools -> Options -> Advanced") for "Select new tabs opened from links" (which is a badly-worded way of saying "Focus---that is, bring to the foreground---new tabs opened in links") and then just one of Open in Foreground Tab and Open in Background Tab will appear according to the opposite of your setting.

Under the hood, my extension (like most which modify the menus) places every single item (including submenus) which it provides onto the menu and then uses code to determine which of these should be made invisible at any given time. Don't forget you can toggle between having a submenu and just having individual items by using the Options dialog for the extension via the Extension Manager; I can't remember offhand but I believe that using the submenu is *not* the default option.

Mozilla Update does not contain the instruction to uninstall v1.1 before v1.3 simply because they have not given developers access to make such changes yet, and they have ignored my requests to add this information. As soon as developer access has been facilitated (which should be within a month or so apparently) I will add this information. I am not sure what would be the consequences of having versions 1.1 and 1.3 installed at the same time. Nothing fatal, I would imagine; presumably you would just get duplicate items appearing on the CM (which Menu Editor would be able to disable if required). As Asqueella has suggested over at the Menu Editor thread, you may have a corrupt profile. In this case I would suggest uninstalling all existing versions of Open Link in... and then reinstalling version 1.3. However, if I understood your comments at that thread correctly, I think you may simply have been expecting to see Open in Foreground Tab and Open in Background Tab simultaneously in the CM (which you definitely won't---Open in New Tab takes the place of one of these). Hope this helps!

ps. Could you edit your previous post and turn the hyperlink into a single word such as "here" rather than actually displaying the full address, since it causes all the posts on that page to be very wide and difficult to read. Thanks!
gjbloom

Opening selected links in multiple tabs

Post by gjbloom »

It would be really cool if this extension could also let you open all or selected links in multiple tabs. That way, for example, if you're doing a job search on Dice or something, you could simply hilight all the results and suck them all down in one whack.
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

An interesting idea! It's not within the remit of this extension though. Also, I can see functionality problems with this idea: you're asking for the ability to open all links contained within selected text in tabs. But do you mean just textual links, or ones from images? What if some of the links were to anchors on the same page; should they be opened too? If you think you have the answers, try posting a request to the Extensions forum, or to the developers forum. Also, there's an extension called Plain Text Links which enables you to highlight text and open it as a link. Maybe its author would be interested in your ideas. Good luck!
OldManRivuh

feature request

Post by OldManRivuh »

since it's irritating to have to open the background image and then save it, it would be nice to have a "Save background image as..." item added to the menu.

(i believe that used to be on the context menu, either in Ffx or NS)

if you don't want to do this, I'll put it in myself for me. (and others if they want it)

btw -- for the person who wanted this extension to support an "open all or selected links in multiple tabs" feature, this can be accomplished via a Bookmarklet and/or a Greasemonkey script
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

A good point.

I'll have a think about whether to include this feature or not. (It's not really within the remit of this extension.)
OldManRivuh

Post by OldManRivuh »

I know it's extending the purview (?) a little, but,
there's no use writing an extension to just do that
one feature. It would just be a nice addition.
novex

Post by novex »

any chance that in the options for this extension you could add a "left click is...." dropdown menu that allows you to choose whether you want "page authors choice | open link here | open link.... etc"

as it is the extension is great but i think that would realy add that special something, for me at least.
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

novex wrote:any chance that in the options for this extension you could add a "left click is...." dropdown menu that allows you to choose whether you want "page authors choice | open link here | open link.... etc"

Ah, you ask for something I cannot do! :) You wish to alter the default key assignments. There are many reasons why this is difficult and inadvisable for extension developers. Moreover, the point of my extension is not to modify the key setup, but to provide the missing context menu for the existing setup.

However, there is a key modifier extension out there (perhaps called keyconfig?). Have a search for it.

Oh, and I believe that changing the key assignments is slated for inclusion into a future version of Fx. I doubt it'll make it into 1.5 though.

Best wishes
Mozcerize
wt71094

Would love it on Thunderbird

Post by wt71094 »

I switched from Mozilla browser and email client to Firefox and Thunderbird. LOVE IT. However, I have to second the request to have an extension like this for Thunderbird. I had an "Open link in new tab" right-click menu item with Mozilla's email client which worked seamlessly with the Mozilla browser, and am sorely missing it with Thunderbird/Firefox.
Regards,

Will
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Ok, I'll think about it.

Best wishes,
Mozcerize
c12

FF 1.5

Post by c12 »

You are probably working on this already but just wanted to say I can't wait to have this extension in FF 1.5. 1.5 is an amazing improvement and this is the one extension I really miss.

Thanks!
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Glad you like it!

There will be a version for 1.5, but I won't be making it until the last beta is released.

Best wishes,
Mozcerize
Mozcerize

New version released: 1.4

Post by Mozcerize »

Version 1.4 for Firefox 1.5 is now available.

No functionality changes, just an update for Fx 1.5. (This version of the extension will not work in versions of Firefox lower than 1.5.)

VERSION:

TARGET:
Firefox 1.5 and 2.0

DOWNLOAD:
See later post below.

FUNCTIONALITY:
See later post below.
Last edited by Mozcerize on July 10th, 2009, 8:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
nolan_vode

Post by nolan_vode »

Hello & thanks for Open link in... 1.3

I ran a thread looking for help adding "Open in Background Window" to my context menu, & thankfully someone referred me to your extension.

I hope you can help with a modification.

The only selections I'm interested in, regardless of link or image are

Background Window &

Here [ie in the current tab/window]

I used

Code: Select all

menuitem[label="Open Link in Foreground Tab"],

to sucessfully remove that item, but when I tried

Code: Select all

menuitem[label="View Image in..."],

to get rid of the subfolder, it didn't work.

Can you help with this & "View Link in..."??

thx