ContextMenu Extensions don't work

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Goldzilla

ContextMenu Extensions don't work

Post by Goldzilla »

This is another of Piro's fine work and it allows you to add some surprisingly convenient
customizations to the browser. It works very well under Mozilla 1.2 beta but doesn't
work at all under Phoenix. I can install it and tools/preferences/themes and extensions
shows that it is there but it doesn't do anything. In Mozilla, there is an additional menu
keyword called Extensions and there are many additional options when you right-click
in the page.

Software is located at http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_extensions.html.en
pviton

Post by pviton »

my understanding is that the way Ph installs extensions differs slightly from the way MZ does. If this is so, then the install routine will have to be modified for ph use. David Tenser's Help page has, as I recall, information on what's involved.
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

I have a look for David's pages but couldn't find anything relevant. I found a page on installing
extensions but these are more user instructions than debugging problems with extensions running
or not running.

Do you have a URL to the page that discusses installation changes?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Many extensions for Mozilla have to be adapted to work with Phoenix, because the organization of the XUL files (where Moz/Phoenix' UI is defined) is different. His Sidebar Window for example would probably need a lot of changes, because sidebars are rather different in both browsers.

Piro states explicitly on the pages for some of his extensions when he believes that they are Phoenix compatible; this hint is missing on the ContextMenu Extensions page, so I wouldn't expect it to work. I think he didn't have time yet to adapt/test them.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I guess this should also be mentioned and linked from here... :wink: