Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

mossop wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:"Open these JavaScript popups in tabs: All Popups, Unresized Popups, No Popups"

"All Popups": 0
"Unresized Popups": 2
"No Popups": 1

If anybody wants better language now, say so before I trigger my own kind of i10n freeze ;)

Surely there is more to setting 2 than just size settings. Doesnt menubar/statusbar settings and other stuff affect it?

Mossop

Yup. But how do I convey all that in four words or less?
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

Tab groups. The ability to open a tab groups and replace it with another immediately.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Having switched from TBE to TBP a few days ago, with the release of Firefox having the Tab Browsing features added, I've encountered one minor annoyance: If the left-most tab is open but blank, almost nothing will use it.

Example: Start FF, left-most tab is blank. Click on my link to log on to MozillaZine, which opens in a new tab, ignoring the existing unused tab. Sage, however, will use that tab.

Before I start changing all the FF/TBP/Minit/X settings to try to get the left-most tab to be used, is there an easy way to accomplish that? (If I start changing all my settings, I'm bound to become even more lost than I already am...).

TBP and FF are set to load in new tabs/background; TBE was set much the same way, but would use the left-most tab when it was blank.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

yud wrote:
thenightfly42 wrote:Does this hidden setting (javascript only) help? Checked in for 2004/10/04:

I set that option to 0, which should force all javascript to open in new tabs instead of new windows, right? I may have misunderstood the options

Yeah, I suspect that the checkin is overzealous, but I don't have anything I can directly point to. I set the option to 1, since I want my javascripts in new windows; both 0 and 2 break Bloglines.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

TheOneKEA wrote:"Open these JavaScript popups in tabs: All Popups, Unresized Popups, No Popups"

"All Popups": 0
"Unresized Popups": 2
"No Popups": 1

If anybody wants better language now, say so before I trigger my own kind of i10n freeze ;)

How about "Open requested JavaScript popups in tabs:", so that it doesn't cause a mental issue with the "Block unrequested popups" option?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

I can do that.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

thenightfly42 wrote:
yud wrote:
thenightfly42 wrote:Does this hidden setting (javascript only) help? Checked in for 2004/10/04:

I set that option to 0, which should force all javascript to open in new tabs instead of new windows, right? I may have misunderstood the options

Yeah, I suspect that the checkin is overzealous, but I don't have anything I can directly point to. I set the option to 1, since I want my javascripts in new windows; both 0 and 2 break Bloglines.

Responding to myself, there was this additional note on the bug, which probably covers the problem we were having but couldn't express technically:
In particular:

1) The nsGlobalWindow.cpp changes only check for the name "_blank"; they should
also check for "_new" (see the actual targeting code in docshell, eg).
2) These same changes break window.open() into a previously opened window or
frame, as far as I can tell, for the case when
|containerPref == nsIBrowserWindow::OPEN_NEWTAB| (it'll now load in a new
tab, even if a frame/tab/window with that name already exists).

The second issue is likely to bite on a lot of sites if users set that pref...
yud

Post by yud »

I looked into the problem with my webmail compose page opening in a new window instead of a new tab, and here's the actual javascript function that is called to open the compose page:

Code: Select all

function open_compose_win(args)
{
    var url = "/horde/imp/compose.php";
    if (url.indexOf('?') == -1) glue = '?';
    else glue = '&';
    var now = new Date();
    var name = "compose_windows_" + now.getTime();
    if (args != "") {
        url = url + glue + args + '&' + 'uniq=' + now.getTime();
    } else {
        url = url + glue + 'uniq=' + now.getTime();
    }
    var Width = screen.width;
    if (Width > 775) {
        Width = 700;
    } else {
        Width -= 75;
    }
    var Height = screen.height;
    if (Height > 725) {
        Height = 650;
    } else {
        Height -= 75;
    }
    param = "toolbar=no,location=no,status=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=" + Width + ",height=" + Height + ",left=0,top=0";
    eval("name = window.open(url, name, param)");
    if (!eval("name.opener")) {
        eval("name.opener = self");
    }
}

It looks like the name it uses for opening the window isn't "_blank" or even "_new", but "compose_windows_[time]". So if Firefox only checks for targets of "_blank" and "_new" when forcing javascript to open in tabs instead of new windows, I think that it still won't catch the new window opened by my webmail thing.
joeyschmoey

TBE replacement

Post by joeyschmoey »

Thank you for this forum on extensions to replace TBE in Firefox. TBE's feature set is definitely worth the performance hit it incurred, which was never really noticeable for me.

I have a couple of TBE features that I think weren't covered on your list and haven't been replaced yet. They are very minor features, I think, but I really liked them.

1. The ability to prevent the last open tab from closing. TBE had a feature where if there is only one tab open, it cannot be closed (even with "Close All Tabs"). This allows me to configure the browser in such a way that it forces the tab bar to always be present and to always have at least one tab. It keeps the GUI consistent, which I like.

Browser tweak: Set browser.tabs.extensions.last_tab_closing to 2 in about.config.

2. The ability to remove the "Close Tab" button that appears at the right end of the tab bar. I prefer each tab to have its own "Close Tab" X which makes the X at the end of the tab bar redundant. It's been suggested that the X in the tab bar is better suited to mean "Close All Tabs" rather than "Close Tab".

BTW, I installed Tabbrowser Extensions in Firefox 1.0PR and it seems to work fine. I got the extension from http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_ta ... ns.html.en

Thanks.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

1. This will be included in 1.0. It's already present in the current nightlies. The tab is blanked if you try to close it, but the history is kept in case you want to go back to the page.
2. Put this in your profile's userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

/* Remove the close button on the tab bar */ 

.tabs-closebutton-box {
   display: none !important;
}
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
thenightfly42

Re: TBE replacement

Post by thenightfly42 »

joeyschmoey wrote:1. The ability to prevent the last open tab from closing. TBE had a feature where if there is only one tab open, it cannot be closed (even with "Close All Tabs"). This allows me to configure the browser in such a way that it forces the tab bar to always be present and to always have at least one tab. It keeps the GUI consistent, which I like.

Moonwolf wrote:1. This will be included in 1.0. It's already present in the current nightlies. The tab is blanked if you try to close it, but the history is kept in case you want to go back to the page.

Am I the only one who is having problems with this? I filed Bug 263003 - Inconsistent behavior for "Hide Tab bar when only one website is open"=FALSE, because it doesn't work when you close your tabs using Ctrl-W. So, I still use the extension Blanklast, which continues to work even with the patch for Bug 248987 - When closing last tab the tab bar disappears indefinitely until new tab is opened.
bperry614

Post by bperry614 »

With the new nightly (20041008) and without TBE or any other extensions, is there a way to have new tabs open in the leftmost postion?
Mugros

Post by Mugros »

I also try to switch from TBE to other extensions.
I disabled TBE, because if the other extensions don't work as i want, i can switch back. I hope that is not a problem.

Extensions i have installed so far as a replacement:
Tabbrowser Preferences:
Seems to work ok. Whats the difference in bookmark behaviour between 0.6.14 and 0.6.13?

SessionSaver:
Doesn't work at all. Only one tab is restored.

Tab Clicking Options
Close on Dbl-Click. Works.

undoclosetab:
Doesn't work at all. I modified the max entry to 1.0, but nothing. Where can i find the list of closed tabs?

Well, doesn't sound too good. I really need a working session saver and there seems to be no other extension except TBE with this functionality. undoclosetab isn't very important, but would be nice in case of an emergency
Lazybones

Post by Lazybones »

Only TBE feature I haven't found is forcing links to other sites to open in a new Tab. Its the ONLY thing I Keep TBE for now.. But the conflicts with TBE and the popup blocker really have me wanting to get rid of it.

TBE features is Love / use
1. Open new windows in new tab .... Check can use TBP
2. Open windows from external apps in new tab .. Check can use TBP
3. Little X on tabs ... Can use Tab X but they aren't as nice and don't have the option to only appear on the focused tab
4. Open links to external sites in new window ... No replacement for this function. That I know of.
5. Progress bars on tabs ... Very handy when loading a slow page and viewing another.. No replacment that I know of.
ByTor201

Post by ByTor201 »

Honestly, I'm hoping that Piro irons out the bugs in TBE. I haven't found a combination yet that completely replaces TBE. Unfortunately, I've found with the latest version (1.11.2004101201) gives me more access violations and trouble than it's worth. So, for now, it sits in my EM disabled until the next version.