Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Turonah

Re: Rebuilding TBE - My Config:

Post by Turonah »

sasquatch wrote:I think someone (was it here?) started combining a few of the smaller extensions which were similar. This might make sense.

Yeah, that might not be as bad ... I've got some time off from work in a few weeks, I might look into doing that then ^_^ I'm assuming, of course that this idea would be fairly well-received from what I've seen in this topic.
"Perhaps we fear the unknown because we know ourselves too well." - Outer Limits
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

sboulema wrote:

Code: Select all

/* Show tabs at bottom */
#content > tabbox { -moz-box-direction: reverse; }

Code: Select all

/* Max width for Tabs  */
tab { max-width: 90px !important; }

I tried it also on another computer but the userChrome.css doesn't load in win98.

Is that correct?
Christian-79

Post by Christian-79 »

Is there a way to get a functionality like in "Focus Previously Selected Tab Module"?
This focuses to the tab previously selected with the shortcut Shift-Alt-Left.
http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabextens ... evselected

Or is there a non-TBE-duplicate for "Highlight Unread Tab Module"? It highlights unread tabs.
http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabextens ... .en#unread

Unfortunately there's no way to get TabGroup Mode without TBE: :(
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=177928
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

tolremeno wrote:What I miss from TBE (other than having only one extension instead of a half dozen or so) is:
1) a progress meter in tabs

So do I. Unfortunately, the posts related to this feature seem to be ignored...
jiro

Post by jiro »

Turonah wrote:Agreed, it would be a lot more convenient to download and install one plugin, instead of five or six just to have the same functionality. However, I think that's exactly what the problem with TBE is - it's just trying to do too much all at once... it's like the electronic version of congress

Maybe I just don't "get it" but I have used TBE for about two years now with no problems whatsoever. I actually tried uninstalling it and replacing it with about five or six extensions to achieve the same results BUT (1) the extensions just didn't have the same functionality (2) the tabs didn't look "right" and (3) it was confusing to try to coordinate the configuration of all the extensions. Even though TBE offers way too much functionality, is that a bad thing? And configuring it is less confusing than juggling between six mini-extensions. Finally, I have never noticed any sluggishness supposedly caused by TBE.
So, sorry for having a contrary opinion to everyone else here, but that's democracy...
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

No, using TBE is not a bad thing, I've been using it for months. Yesterday I found an update to TBE, and I went to Piro's site to check out what he fixed/broke etc.

There are several posting and 'Quotations there, and from reading those it would appear there is some move afoot to possible disallow TBE from even being installed by the FF Dev's.

The links Piro listed could not be 'clicked' , coopy/paste so I did not read the links from where the Quotes came from.

With that in mind, I decided to start weaning myself from TBE. Sad really as I liked the way it worked for the most part, and still have not managed to create the same functions.

My favorite was the 'progress meter in tab', but after spending a couple hours searching forums it appears that for everyone of us that WANT the 'Loading in tabs meter', there are 10 that hate it. Oh well...

Food for thought.
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

jiro wrote:
Turonah wrote:Agreed, it would be a lot more convenient to download and install one plugin, instead of five or six just to have the same functionality. However, I think that's exactly what the problem with TBE is - it's just trying to do too much all at once... it's like the electronic version of congress

Maybe I just don't "get it" but I have used TBE for about two years now with no problems whatsoever. I actually tried uninstalling it and replacing it with about five or six extensions to achieve the same results BUT (1) the extensions just didn't have the same functionality (2) the tabs didn't look "right" and (3) it was confusing to try to coordinate the configuration of all the extensions. Even though TBE offers way too much functionality, is that a bad thing? And configuring it is less confusing than juggling between six mini-extensions. Finally, I have never noticed any sluggishness supposedly caused by TBE.
So, sorry for having a contrary opinion to everyone else here, but that's democracy...

Yes, that's also my experience.
I've installed a userChrome.css file to creates tab at the bottom and changed colors but firefox slowed down more then with TBE
Ryan.Crichton

Post by Ryan.Crichton »

I really, really hope they don't decide to disallow installation of TBE. If they do that, the least they could do is integrate TBE into Firefox's core program. Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think a lot of what TBE does should be core functionality anyways. There's just too many good features there to simply ignore them.
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

Nothkirk wrote:I really, really hope they don't decide to disallow installation of TBE. If they do that, the least they could do is integrate TBE into Firefox's core program. Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think a lot of what TBE does should be core functionality anyways. There's just too many good features there to simply ignore them.

Yes, that's what I think.
Its a great software.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

Nothkirk wrote:I honestly think a lot of what TBE does should be core functionality anyways. There's just too many good features there to simply ignore them.

A lot of it is now, such as single window, etc. TBP now uses more built-in functionality than new functionality (ie it's just changing about:config prefs).

I'm down to 4 extensions to replace tbe. (Although I still miss progress meter in tabs *grr*) The four are much smaller separately than tbe was as one. It takes much less time to find and change a setting with four than with tbe (esp when Piro kept changing the options box). And with the four extensions I am better able to play with nightly builds - whereas tbe tends to break nightlies.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Ryan.Crichton

Post by Ryan.Crichton »

I'd be curious to know what 4 extensions you're using. I'm half-tempted to try testing out the separate extensions instead of using TBE (especially since I'm seeing more and more new tab extensions that weren't available previously), just to see what the differences are. I don't play with the nightly builds, so that's not an issue for me, but I am curious to see if I get better performance out of Firefox (and still get all the features that I want) using separate extensions.

I agree the tab progress meter is nice, but when it comes right down to it, I list that as a luxury item in TBE, whereas features like saving sessions and being able to force things into new tabs instead of new windows are basic must-have functionality.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

Alright:

MiniT+ 20041125.3
Reload Every (which I almost never use)
Session Saver 0.2.1
undoclosetab 20041125.2

That version of MiniT (on TEM) has drag & drop with place indicator, tab open on right (sort of a basic version of tbe's grouping), and double click functionality (& more that I don't use, such as always opening bookmarks in new tabs). Session Saver and undoclosetab are life savers.

Lots of functionality is now built into firefox: the tabbed browsing part of the advanced options in firefox can force links to open in the present tab or a new tab, it can open links in the background, and it can do basic functioning for opening tabs from external programs. Also open about:config and type in "tabs" and you will have a few more functions, such making sure loading folders doesn't load over your current tabs.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Ryan.Crichton

Post by Ryan.Crichton »

Thanks! I'll have to check those out and see how I like them. I know Session Saver would be must-have (that feature is probably the biggest reason I love TBE).
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Nothkirk wrote:[...] I agree the tab progress meter is nice, but when it comes right down to it, I list that as a luxury item in TBE, whereas features like saving sessions and being able to force things into new tabs instead of new windows are basic must-have functionality.

Saving sessions and opening in new tabs are available as "Session Saver" and as part of "Tabbrowser Preferences" respectively.
Best regards,
Tony
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

tonymec wrote:
Nothkirk wrote:[...] I agree the tab progress meter is nice, but when it comes right down to it, I list that as a luxury item in TBE, whereas features like saving sessions and being able to force things into new tabs instead of new windows are basic must-have functionality.

Saving sessions and opening in new tabs are available as "Session Saver" and as part of "Tabbrowser Preferences" respectively.

But even with these extensions you do not have the same functions as with TBE.

I've tried all different options to replace TBE.
I've tried to write my own userChrome.css to have the same functions and tried it in combination
with Tab Clicking Options and Session Saver and other combinations
but all combinations I've tried where slower together then TBE is so I decided to reinstall TBE.