Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
EdZep

Tab Clicking Ext

Post by EdZep »

Thanks, guys! It works as advertised. I had been limiting my extension quest to update.mozilla.org, but, there's little to choose from for current Firefox. Well TCE (and other gems I may see on this forum) eventually be listed there?
sasquatch

Re: the ONE TBE feature I need most

Post by sasquatch »

EdZep wrote:...to find out if there a way to get the most important TBE behavior I've come to rely on with early versions of FireSomething, which I use on Win2K.

I had TBE set up so I could double-click on a tab to reload it. I typically have a number of tabs with forums and other pages that are frequently updated. So, it's natural to switch to a tab for a page that needs to be updated. It's faster and more natural to combine the initial tab selection click with a second click to cause refresh, than to either move the mouse to the refresh button, or to hit f5....

Tab Clicking Options 0.2.1 [20041102] forum posts.

Duplicate Tab 0.3.2 [20041105] forum posts.
Turonah

Post by Turonah »

Mugros wrote:SessionSaver:
Doesn't work at all. Only one tab is restored.

Didn't work for me either until I started without TBE at all - the two conflict - even when TBE is disabled, even uninstalled - simply because of the "leftover" (or residual) functionality of TBE and its session-handling.

Mugros wrote:undoclosetab:
Doesn't work at all. I modified the max entry to 1.0, but nothing. Where can i find the list of closed tabs?

Just installed this one myself, and I have to admit I miss the list also - apparently the only way to re-open a closed tab is via the context menu on the tab(bar). So if the tab you want was closed two or three tabs ago, you have to re-open them all.

As for a summary list, here's mine:
- alt+enter in search and address bar to open in a new tab seems built into firefox now, as with ctrl+clicking on links
Tab Clicking Options
- options for ctrl+, alt+, shift+, and double-clicking tabs or the tabbar
miniT
- drag & drop functionality (I honestly have no idea what else it does :P)
undoclosetab
- self-explanitory
QuickTabPrefToggle
- dealing with links, popups, and link from external apps
SessionSaver
- saves session on exit
Tab X+ 0.4
- closetab button on each tab

What I'm still looking for:
- In undoclosetab, it would be nice if it could give you a list of tabs to re-open

Other than that, I think that was all the TBE functionality that I used frequently, so I'm happy ^_^
"Perhaps we fear the unknown because we know ourselves too well." - Outer Limits
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Here's my latest:

<b><u>Enabled Extensions:</u></b>

<a href="http://www.cusser.net" title="Prevents download links opening a blank window.">Disable Targets For Downloads</a> 0.8<br />
<a href="http://twanno.mozdev.org/" title="Allows you to duplicate a tab, or to merge the windows.">Duplicate Tab</a> 0.3.2<br />
<a href="http://twanno.mozdev.org/" title="Select actions for clicking events on a tab or the tabbar">Tab Clicking Options</a> 0.2.1<br />
<a href="http://clav.mozdev.org/" title="Adds a close button to each of the browser tabs">Tab X</a> 0.5<br />
<a href="http://mozilla.dorando.at/" title="Adds Undo Close Tab.">undoclosetab</a> 20040910<br />
roth377

Post by roth377 »

Turonah wrote:
Mugros wrote:SessionSaver:
Doesn't work at all. Only one tab is restored.

Didn't work for me either until I started without TBE at all - the two conflict - even when TBE is disabled, even uninstalled - simply because of the "leftover" (or residual) functionality of TBE and its session-handling.

I'd have to say that statement is not quite true. I think if you have the tab session management module disabled (or the equivilent choices made in preferences), you should have no problems using both. I have NEVER had a problem with both Session Saver and TBE both running.

Perhaps you have a corrupt Tabextensions.rdf file that was preventing session management to fully be disabled. Then a possible confict between TBE and session saver would still exist.
Turonah

Post by Turonah »

roth377 wrote:Perhaps you have a corrupt Tabextensions.rdf file that was preventing session management to fully be disabled. Then a possible confict between TBE and session saver would still exist.

Now that you mention it, I might not have turned off the session saving in TBE before I disabled it, but I do know my TBE prefs (enabled or disabled) were over-riding my SessionSaver prefs.
"Perhaps we fear the unknown because we know ourselves too well." - Outer Limits
Turonah

Post by Turonah »

Update on the undoclosetab list:
I found that Tabbin has this functionality, HOWEVER, it can't be used with SessionSaver because Tabbin really doesn't close the tab, it just hides it. If someone had the skill and time to look at both undoclosetab and Tabbin and integrate their functionality ... ^_^
I know where Tabbin generates the pop-up list, and where undoclosetab stores the list of closed tabs, but I have no idea how to bring the two together ...
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

cycletourist wrote:Has anyone made a summary list of all the various substitutions and their functionality? Right now I'm looking for the ability to open all bookmark links into new tabs (and also all links that are to a different domain - links that go off site).

(I already got mini-T so I can drag and drop tabs, and Session Saver - for obvious reasons.)

For the bookmarks (menu/toolbar and sidebar) I use Cilck2Tab 0.73 : http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1518

For links to external pages the new version of TBP offers that : http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/site/TheOneKEA/tabprefs/
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

What I've done, reading this topic :

TBP 1.0.0 :
[*] opens links to external sites in another backgrounded tab (by default and not configurabled for the background)
[*] opens my javascript popups in a popup (TBE has some problem with this since 2 or 3 versions)
[*] opens Urlbar et Searchbar results in a backgrounded tab
[*] open external links in backgrounded tab (but Firefox comes in foreground like TBE does since 2 or 3 months :( )

two differents versions of MiniT :
[*] MiniT_20040920_pass3 to close tab by double-click and switch tabs with mouse wheel
[*] MiniT_drag_0.4.1 to drag and drop tabs

Click2Tab 0.73 to open history (sidebar) and bookmarks (menu, toolbar et sidebar) in backgrounded Tab

everything works great :)

but I'm not satisfied with the reopen of closed tabs. Because, here is what we have :
[*] Tab Bin 0.1 gives a button with a pull down menu with the last 5 closed tabs. and you can retrieve the one you want.
[*] Undo Close Tab has a configurable number of recently closed tabs that we can re-open. You can do it either with right-click context menu or middle-click, BUT if you want to retrieve the fifth closed tab you must re-open 4 tabs before that one (Am I clear ???)

what I would like is to have a nutton with pull down menu for the n last closed tab AND the ability to re-open the last one quickly with middle-click or ctrl+click (like in TBE). I didn't find any extension for that.
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

I saw that the new version of Undo Close Tab has both dropdown menu button and right-click to re-open the last closed tab. I just miss the mouse middle-click or ctrl+click to be completly happy :)
c0mmm0n

Post by c0mmm0n »

Mini, you have a modified version of UCT on EM that enables middle click (i've pointed it to you on hfr forum)

My last gripe : i'd like to be able to change tab size, i've done it successfully with flowing tabs and userchrome code but i'm not really a multi row fan ; someone eralier on this topic mentionned it would also work with Scrollable Tabs, but it doesn't work for me.

Any suggestion ?

Thx
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

welcome here my friend :)

I know that, but this version doesn't have the drop-down menu button which is very usefull to retrieve any closed tab without having to restore all the tabs that were closed after the one you want (clear ??? :D)
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

ok, I looked at the undoclosetab.xul in each of the versions of this extensions : 20040910 enhanced by Liang Ch'ng which have the middle-click to restore the last close tab and the 20041122 enhanced by Turonah[/url] which have the drop-down menu button and the "undo close tab" in context menu

the difference is simply two lines of code, but I wonder if I can merge the two versions and distribute it (of course I'll let all the credits to the original author like Turonah did in the "About section" of the extension). that's probably a silly question, but I don't want to make any mistakes :)
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

Forget it, to fulfill my wish I associated Tab Clicking Option with Undo Close Tab from Turonah and it works like I want :)
Turonah

Post by Turonah »

Yeah, by the way I fixed my own problem by merging the code from Tabbin with undoclosetab - the enhanced version is being kindly hosted by extensionsmirror.nl :D (clickity).