Is there any extension to get the find dialog back?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
gssq

Post by gssq »

It brings back the old Find box (ala most other Windows programs).
ASilver76

Post by ASilver76 »

So there's no way you know of to bring back the mozilla-style find bar in firefox?

I was under the impression that it was still in the code somewhere, just turned off.

Can anyone confirm or disprove this?
gssq

Post by gssq »

To bring back the Mozilla-style find box, use this extension!!! Isn't it crystal clear?!

Retro Find 1.3
http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/retrofind.html
ASilver76

Post by ASilver76 »

If it was "crystal clear" then I wouldn't be asking.

So far I've heard numerous contradictory things - such as that retrofind brings back the "Windows -style find dialog"(?) and the "Netscape version find dialog". However, according to you, both of these assertions are actually false.

What can I say? Nomenclature can be a funny thing.

Which is why I just wanted someone to spell it out for me - which you did.

Thanks.
gssq

Post by gssq »

Well, we mean the Windows-style find dialog and the Netscape version find dialog as opposed to the silly search bar in Firefox.
technomage

Post by technomage »

Let's make this easier on all:

http://technomage.250free.com/retrofind/FindDialog.jpg

http://technomage.250free.com/retrofind ... withFF.jpg

And ASilver76, if you're that worried about it you can always create a clean profile to try any new extension. It's quite safe.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4
Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.4 (20060516)
Desktop: WinXP Pro | AthlonXP 1700+ | 512MB DDR | ATI Radeon 9000
Laptop: WinXP Home | Intel Centrino Solo 1.66 GHz | 1024 MB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 Graphphi
ASilver76

Post by ASilver76 »

Thanks for the pics. The second one really nails it. Frankly, I'm not concerned with the "find in this page" dialog box - just the drop down search box in the address bar. And no worries - I always install new extensions with a fresh profle. Saves me trouble down the line.

It's great to know that this solves on on the three "nits" I've always had to pick with Firefox.

Just in case, anyone's wondering...

1) The lack of the aforementioned drop-down search bar for Mozilla.

2) The lack of a full port of the Gray Modern skin from Mozilla (which is being worked on still, so I hear...)

3) The inability or unwillingness for anyone in the community to supply a framework that would turn The Proxomitron into a full-blown Firefox extension. (Much as I love Greasemonkey, this tool is even closer to my heart).

Incidently, if anyone happens to know of any current solutions for nits 2) or 3), don't keep them yourself,...sharing is good!
EricN1023

Bookmarklet Find

Post by EricN1023 »

The same window of search can open Bookmarklet javascript:find() , but it does not work for me both with extansion and without. How to force Bookmarklet to work?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050907 Firefox/1.4
gssq

Post by gssq »

Version 1.4 is out

Bumped maxVersion to be compatible with Firefox 1.5
Changed most units to ems in chrome to avoid problems with other resolutions

http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/retrofind.html

Thank you Unarmed!
Old Nitro 322

Post by Old Nitro 322 »

gssq wrote:Version 1.4 is out

Thanks, Unarmed. I'm pretty sure I posted in this thread previously, but this is probably tops my list of must-have extensions. I appreciate your continued work on it.

However, this last version doesn't seem to size itself properly. When initally calling the Find dialog, the Find what field is full-sized, but the status message field is only about 1/2 hieght. After hitting enter, the status field expands to full height to display the message, but then the find field shrinks to only half-height, making it nearly impossible to read what's typed in the field.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, yadda yadda, here's two screenshots that illustrate the problem:
<a href="http://www.legroom.net/~jbreland/find1.png">find1.png</a>
<a href="http://www.legroom.net/~jbreland/find2.png">find2.png</a>

This error is consistant across all instances of Firefox that I've used with version 1.4, which includes two Windows computers and 1 Linux computer.

I also have one additional feature request. When I perform a search-as-you-type (eg, entering /test to search for the string 'test'), this value does not update the last searched value (or whatever you want to call that). By that, I mean after entering /test, if I hit Ctrl-G to search for the next instance, it searches for the last thing I entered into the Find box rather than 'test'. The correct behavior, in my opinion, would be to search for the next instance of whatever I used search-as-you-type to find.

I'm not sure how easy that would be to integrate into RetroFind, but after several months of heavy use, that's my one and only request. As I said before, great extension. Thanks!
gssq

Post by gssq »

WFM. Maybe it's a clash with other extensions?

And re your RFE, find-as-you-type isn't in Retro Find's scope. Who needs the search bar? *g*
Old Nitro 322

Post by Old Nitro 322 »

gssq wrote:WFM. Maybe it's a clash with other extensions?

Thanks for the feedback. I uninstalled all of my other extensions, and reset my theme back to the default Firefox theme, but it still exhibits the behavior I described above. Any other suggestions? If I uninstalled Retro Find 1.4 and install 1.3 instead, it behaves properly.

gssq wrote:And re your RFE, find-as-you-type isn't in Retro Find's scope. Who needs the search bar? *g*

Respectfully, I disagree. I feel that find-as-you-type should absolutely be in Retro Find's scope. Once Retro Find is installed, it essentially manages all search functions (instead of the Find Bar). It does a great job at this, including Find Again searches after entering text into the Find box. However, find-as-you-type is another search convenience provided by Mozilla/Firefox that has always integrated nicely with the "frontends" - namely, the find box in Mozilla and the find bar in default Firefox. Retro Find should recognize searches through find-as-you-type just as it does searches entered directly into the find box. Find Again should work the same no matter how the initial search is performed.

Of course, "should implement" and "easy to implement" are to very different things, hence the request. :-) And I fully agree with you about the search bar. It sucks, which is the whole reason I'm using Retro Find.
gssq

Post by gssq »

You know, you can always press backslash "/" when the cursor is not in a dialogue box to activate the good ole' search bar!

Sorry to hear about your problem with 1.4.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

gssq wrote:You know, you can always press backslash "/" when the cursor is not in a dialogue box to activate the good ole' search bar!

Sorry to hear about your problem with 1.4.

I downloaded the afore-mentioned extension but haven't uninstalled yet. For 2 reasons, one I find FAYT functionality really great. The other is AFAI could tell it puts itself on top of FAYT, at the end gssq had said that doing the / puts the old search bar does he ctrl+f for FAYT or what?

Secondly, what is this option called wrap, what does it do ? It seems it was in 0.09 FF if I read the above discussion right, hence if somebody has more info on the wrap check-box either with good description or example or snapshots of the wrap option in action so have an idea. Thanx in advance
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
gssq

Post by gssq »

With Retro Find, Ctrl + F brings up the search box. Pressing backslash when you're not in a text box/field brings up the search bar. So you can have the best of both words :)

Wrap:

Suppose you search for "the above" and the page has text in the form:

"the
above"

(sans quotes), ticking wrap will cause the example above to be "found".