Is there any extension to get the find dialog back?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
gssq

Post by gssq »

idbehold wrote:HOLY SH!T I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, You put all mozilla devs to shame with your extension alone. This has to be the best thing since sliced bread, I LOVE YOU!

OH GOD!!! I second idbehold.

I love you man! :P

But perhaps the version number should be bumped down until the bugs have been worked out (or no bugs have been found for a time). Not that I've found any yet :)
effgee

Post by effgee »

Unarmed wrote:Bumping this ancient thread with an extension.
Retro Find 1.0 implements the diffs that red_avni found. My first attempt at writing an extension, but tested and working under Firefox 1.0.

Thank you!! - I hate that retarded "bar thing" with a passion.
gssq

Post by gssq »

Perhaps in the next version the search could be made recursive - ie after searching to the bottom of the page it will start from the top again?
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

Well, the search does wrap back to the top if you have the <code>[v] Wrap</code> box checked. You mean you don't want the alert to pop up when it hits the bottom? You could try Cusser's "Find Statusbar" extension.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Awesome! I think you should find the bug where this was originally taken away and post the link there for all those who wanted it back.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Unarmed wrote:Well, the search does wrap back to the top if you have the <code>[v] Wrap</code> box checked. You mean you don't want the alert to pop up when it hits the bottom? You could try Cusser's "Find Statusbar" extension.

I have no plans to maintain that extension, since I'm perfectly happy with the Find toolbar. However, the code could easily be merged into this one, and should still work just fine, despite being out of date since Firefox 0.9's release.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Mighty generous of you. I hope they take you up on that.

;-)
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

Unarmed wrote:Bumping this ancient thread with an extension.

Retro Find 1.0 implements the diffs that red_avni found. My first attempt at writing an extension, but tested and working under Firefox 1.0.

Thank you, Thank you!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050209 Firefox/1.0+
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

Cusser wrote:I have no plans to maintain that extension, since I'm perfectly happy with the Find toolbar. However, the code could easily be merged into this one, and should still work just fine, despite being out of date since Firefox 0.9's release.

Since you don't mind, I've gone ahead and rolled the functionality into version 1.1.

For those that don't need the status bar, 1.0 is still available.
gssq

Post by gssq »

Yay

Btw, http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/ still displays the old page

Maybe it should redirect people to http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/retrofind.html
d13f00l

Post by d13f00l »

Thanks a lot. I was searching again on google for an extension and this came up. Switching back to firefox from mozilla now. :)
gssq

Post by gssq »

You hated the find bar that much huh *g*
gssq

Post by gssq »

Is there a way to get retro find to work in the View Source window, incidentally? Though there the find bar is tolerable...
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

Yes, I've added that to the latest version (1.2).
technomage

Post by technomage »

Would there be any way to use this new extension to figure out a way to add a "wrap" check box to the new findbar? Preferably in a way so that it remembers the user's wrap preference.

Also, Unarmed, you may want to consider making your extension remember the person's wrap preference (i.e. if I uncheck it once, it remains unchecked until I check it myself). There's an old extension that may be of some help with this task here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4
Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.4 (20060516)
Desktop: WinXP Pro | AthlonXP 1700+ | 512MB DDR | ATI Radeon 9000
Laptop: WinXP Home | Intel Centrino Solo 1.66 GHz | 1024 MB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 Graphphi