[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

* Make sure that when installing it, you have write-access to SeaMonkey's installation directory (at least the file crashrecovery.js must exist in the components subdirectory after installation).
* Then make also sure that the file ".autoreg" exists in SeaMonkey's installation directory.
* Finally make sure that you've got no messages related to Crash Recovery in the JS console.

Note: the about:crashrecovery hack doesn't work any longer as of version 0.6.
Wai_Wai

Post by Wai_Wai »

Errors in JS:
Error: [JavaScript Error: "tabbrowser.mTabs has no properties" {file: "file:///C:/Program%20Files/mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/components/crashrecovery.js" line: 351}]
Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files/mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/components/crashrecovery.js
Line: 351
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

This is an incompatibility with MultiZilla. Try if this <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/crashrecovery.xpi">minor update</a> already fixes the issue.
Wai_Wai

Post by Wai_Wai »

zeniko wrote:This is an incompatibility with MultiZilla. Try if this <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/crashrecovery.xpi">minor update</a> already fixes the issue.

Error: [JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "jar:resource:///chrome/crashrecovery.jar!/locale/pt-BR,contents.rdf" line: 1 column: 1 source: "
^"}]
Source File: jar:resource:///chrome/crashrecovery.jar!/locale/pt-BR,contents.rdf
Line: 1, Column: 1
Source Code:
^
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've tested <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/crashrecovery.xpi">Crash Recovery 0.6.1</a> with SeaMonkey 1.0 and MultiZilla 1.8.1.1b and it works as expected. Are you using a Portuguese locale or the default English one? Does this problem also arise on a clean profile (no other extensions installed)? Does it actually hinder Crash Recovery from working (i.e. do you get the restore prompt after a crash)?
Peng

Post by Peng »

I have a question: Why is the scroll position of frames stored both in the [WindowX.TabY] item and the [WindowX.TabY.ChildZ] items?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
Wai_Wai

Post by Wai_Wai »

zeniko wrote:I've tested <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/crashrecovery.xpi">Crash Recovery 0.6.1</a> with SeaMonkey 1.0 and MultiZilla 1.8.1.1b and it works as expected. Are you using a Portuguese locale or the default English one? Does this problem also arise on a clean profile (no other extensions installed)? Does it actually hinder Crash Recovery from working (i.e. do you get the restore prompt after a crash)?

Are you using a Portuguese locale or the default English one? <-- English one!
Does this problem also arise on a clean profile (no other extensions installed)? <-- I'll try to confirm later, but probably not. So do you think which one conflicts with yours?
Does it actually hinder Crash Recovery from working (i.e. do you get the restore prompt after a crash)? <-- quite strange! It sometimes works, sometimes not.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@Wai_Wai: I've installed all of the extensions you listed except Filterset.G and Crash Recovery still works as expected. I doubt that Filterset.G is to blame, so probably there's some other problem with your profile or your SeaMonkey installation.

@Peng: The scroll positions stored in [WindowX.TabY] are the scroll positions of the active frameset (only one level deep) for easier restoring. The other scroll positions are those taken from are those taken from Mozilla's history (which is not updated when you scroll on the active page). I'll see whether I can unify these two data sets, but that's no priority.
Wai_Wai

Post by Wai_Wai »

zeniko wrote:@Wai_Wai: I've installed all of the extensions you listed except Filterset.G and Crash Recovery still works as expected. I doubt that Filterset.G is to blame, so probably there's some other problem with your profile or your SeaMonkey installation.

Why not install Filterset.G as well?
It's here: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... hp?id=1136

Then we will know if it's my own problem or the extension problem!

PS: I'll try to have a clean install later on.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Yeah, I figured it was for convenience, I just don't know why it's more convenient. :P

Ahh. I can't understand technical things when also trying to listen to the TV.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@Wai_Wai: No luck, also with Adblock and Filterset.G installed everything remains green.

@Peng: The reason lies in the code... have a look at restoreDocument_proxy (and the way it's called) and think about how you'd restore frame scroll states down to an arbitrary depth. ;-)
Peng

Post by Peng »

Crash Recovery just saved me from a crash due to Gigabyte flooding the Error Console. Didn't lose the form data or data I was typing in the text box (though I did lose the disk cache). Tab Mix Plus is really awful at crash recovery. I like it's UI better than Session Manager, but it isn't reliable.

Okay, I'll look at the code. :) I couldn't code a thing in JavaScript myself, but I think I'm pretty good at understanding it (comments help ;) ).

Edit: Okay, this looks mostly over my head and I'm still being distracted by the TV. So I'll look through it later.

Edit: Bleh. I can't think or type or something.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Peng

Post by Peng »

I have another question about how it works: Why is the domain for cookies stored both in domainX and in the middle of valueX?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Does this lead somewhere specific? ;-)

The answer is that cookies are stored either for a domain including subdomains or for a specific host only - only in the first case, the domain name also appears in the cookie's value (and note that in this case there's a leading dot in the domainX= value). The second part of the answer is again convenience: for restoring I need these two pieces of information (domain and value) and they're easier to get to when saving.
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:Does this lead somewhere specific? ;-)

No. I just like poking around my profile. :)

zeniko wrote:The answer is that cookies are stored either for a domain including subdomains or for a specific host only - only in the first case, the domain name also appears in the cookie's value (and note that in this case there's a leading dot in the domainX= value). The second part of the answer is again convenience: for restoring I need these two pieces of information (domain and value) and they're easier to get to when saving.

Oh. I hadn't noticed that only some of the cookies have the domain in the value.

Okay.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)