MozillaZine

[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
yegor
 
Posts: 12
Joined: October 26th, 2003, 5:29 am

Post Posted November 20th, 2004, 4:17 pm

I have 0.3 and disabling all other extensions does not help.

yegor
 
Posts: 12
Joined: October 26th, 2003, 5:29 am

Post Posted November 20th, 2004, 7:14 pm

I switched to a fresh profile and now SS/CR do the right thing on startup.

old zeniko
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted November 21st, 2004, 1:29 pm

AnonEmoose wrote:testing feedback:
v0.3.1 totally borks my profile in Mozilla as an upgrade to 0.3, so i restored my profile and did a clean install (not an update) for Crash Recovery, it installs fine but crashing recovery function doesn't work (sessionsave works though). (no worries though, i went back to version 0.3)....

I changed some filenames which apparently breaks the extension during the update. Please uninstall version 0.3 completely before installing any newer version. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

One possible cause of session saving apparently not working might be that you crash Mozilla too fast. Set crashrecovery.save_interval to 500 and try again. However: if you manually set crashrecovery.save_interval, make sure that you set it as an integer value. Otherwise Crash Recovery won't work, either. I've tested it on Mozilla 1.8a4 and both crash recovering and session saving should work alright now.

rizwank wrote:I can't get session saver to do crash recovery or CR to get regular quit restore either...

Have you tried a clean profile? Have you manually set crashrecovery.sessionsaver (open about:config, search for that pref and set it to true; if it doesn't exist, add a new boolean pref of that name)? Otherwise: what system are you working on?

AnonEmoose
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 11:59 am

Post Posted November 21st, 2004, 7:40 pm

zeniko wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:testing feedback:
v0.3.1 totally borks my profile in Mozilla as an upgrade to 0.3, so i restored my profile and did a clean install (not an update) for Crash Recovery, it installs fine but crashing recovery function doesn't work (sessionsave works though). (no worries though, i went back to version 0.3)....

I changed some filenames which apparently breaks the extension during the update. Please uninstall version 0.3 completely before installing any newer version. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

One possible cause of session saving apparently not working might be that you crash Mozilla too fast. Set crashrecovery.save_interval to 500 and try again. However: if you manually set crashrecovery.save_interval, make sure that you set it as an integer value. Otherwise Crash Recovery won't work, either. I've tested it on Mozilla 1.8a4 and both crash recovering and session saving should work alright now.


the interval was not the problem neither with .0.3.1 or .0.3.2.... i am also simulating the crashes by making sure user_pref("crashrecovery.running", true); is set prior to restarting Mozilla...


Still testing using Moz 1.7
v0.3.2 also has a different issue... the pref "crashrecovery.running" never gets changed to "false" on certain shutdown methods..... This causes the Crash Recovery prompt on EVERY start up.... I've verified that it has to do with the method of shutting down

File--->Exit or Ctrl+Q then Crash Recovery works as intended.

Alt+F4 or 'X'ing out or Ctrl+W (with only one tab) Crash Recovery fails to write the pref "crashrecovery.running" to "false" ....

old zeniko
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted November 22nd, 2004, 2:22 pm

AnonEmoose wrote:Still testing using Moz 1.7
v0.3.2 also has a different issue... the pref "crashrecovery.running" never gets changed to "false" on certain shutdown methods..... This causes the Crash Recovery prompt on EVERY start up.... I've verified that it has to do with the method of shutting down

I was able to reproduce this behavior with Mozilla 1.7.3 and 1.8a4 as well, in the meantime. I've played around some more with the code and it's getting better. Crash Recovery 0.3.3 now correctly shuts down in most cases. It apparently still doesn't, when several windows are closed in succession too quickly. Anyway, I hope that it get's at least bearable now, as I fear that part of the blame is Mozilla's.

AnonEmoose
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 11:59 am

Post Posted November 22nd, 2004, 5:45 pm

zeniko wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:Still testing using Moz 1.7
v0.3.2 also has a different issue... the pref "crashrecovery.running" never gets changed to "false" on certain shutdown methods..... This causes the Crash Recovery prompt on EVERY start up.... I've verified that it has to do with the method of shutting down

I was able to reproduce this behavior with Mozilla 1.7.3 and 1.8a4 as well, in the meantime. I've played around some more with the code and it's getting better. Crash Recovery 0.3.3 now correctly shuts down in most cases. It apparently still doesn't, when several windows are closed in succession too quickly. Anyway, I hope that it get's at least bearable now, as I fear that part of the blame is Mozilla's.
The shutdown method bug is still present in v0.3.3

As an aside, the shutdown code of v0.3 works excellent . perhaps u can see what changed... Ultimately I believe it is a "bug/feature" of Windows OS (the 'X'ing out method). rue had the same issue at one time with SessionSaver (which he developed on a Mac not Windows).

old zeniko
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted November 22nd, 2004, 6:16 pm

AnonEmoose wrote:As an aside, the shutdown code of v0.3 works excellent . perhaps u can see what changed...

Unfortunately I was too keen to keep a backup. Would you mind mailing me the .xpi or the .jar file?
Last edited by old zeniko on November 23rd, 2004, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnonEmoose
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 11:59 am

Post Posted November 22nd, 2004, 9:40 pm

zeniko wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:As an aside, the shutdown code of v0.3 works excellent . perhaps u can see what changed...

Unfortunately I was too keen to keep a backup. Would you mind mailing me the .xpi or the .jar file to <XXXX AT XXX DOT XXX>?


check your Private Messages at the right.
Last edited by AnonEmoose on November 23rd, 2004, 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

old zeniko
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 2:35 am

AnonEmoose wrote:check your Private Messages at the right.

Thanks. I didn't find any real difference between versions 0.3 and 0.3.4, but I still stumbled over some more Mozilla quirks (it apparently forgets all about standard JavaScript objects at shutdown). Anyway, closing Mozilla with Alt+F4 or the [X] button now shuts Crash Recovery down as expected.

BTW, could you please remove my email address from your above post. I just wasn't sure whether you had write access to any server...

AnonEmoose
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 11:59 am

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 4:00 am

just tested v0.3.4

All looks good.... :-) ;-) nice work

email address deleted from post

RockOfVictory

User avatar
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 23rd, 2004, 7:48 am
Location: Tennessee

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 9:47 am

AnonEmoose wrote:rizwank:
there is no reason to install BOTH SessionSaver & Crash Recovery, use either one but not BOTH.

I just want to clarify this. So that means that if I have SessionSaver, it will perform all of the Crash Recovery functions, as well (such as coming up with a dialogue box asking if I want to restore after a crash)?
~ Zepfanman.com - When you can't find it on Google. (Running FF 2/WinXP)

AnonEmoose
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 11:59 am

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 10:36 am

After a crash SessionSaver does not have a dialogue box, it will restore it automatically, while Crash Recovery will have a dialogue box.

Crash Recovery duplicates the most popular functions of SessionSaver but does not have the ability to store multiple Sessions, recall on demand, save on demand and has fine grained control of how sessions are restored (new/existing window/Tabs, restoring all windows as one)

RockOfVictory

User avatar
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 23rd, 2004, 7:48 am
Location: Tennessee

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 11:20 am

AnonEmoose wrote:After a crash SessionSaver does not have a dialogue box, it will restore it automatically, while Crash Recovery will have a dialogue box.

Thanks for the clarification. So I think I will keep both SS and CR installed!

AnonEmoose
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 11:59 am

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 12:00 pm

RockOfVictory wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:After a crash SessionSaver does not have a dialogue box, it will restore it automatically, while Crash Recovery will have a dialogue box.

Thanks for the clarification. So I think I will keep both SS and CR installed!
Not a good idea to install 2 extnsions performing the same task....plus u will have 2 sets of all your tabs opened if u click ok on the dialogue....

old zeniko
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted November 23rd, 2004, 4:35 pm

RockOfVictory wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:After a crash SessionSaver does not have a dialogue box, it will restore it automatically, while Crash Recovery will have a dialogue box.

Thanks for the clarification. So I think I will keep both SS and CR installed!

If you do this, just make sure that you deactivate SessionSaver's crash recovery functionality (otherwise you'll get the problems AnonEmoose has mentioned). Besides both extensions should work together.

However, if apart of crash recovering you just need the automatic session restore feature (cf. this post), you can get Crash Recovery doing that as well - just set the pref crashrecovery.sessionsaver to true (in about:config).

Return to Extension Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests