[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Bittornado

Post by Bittornado »

Thank you for the fast reply!

Oh well I am quite happy with the way CR works and will keep it running, as long as I do understand how it works. It serves my purposes just fine as it is, so again thank you for the contribution.
:)
Luhmann

Update

Post by Luhmann »

OK. Good news and bad news.

First, I figured out how to properly delete the profile, and I installed a clean version of Firefox 1.01 and then added the Crash Recovery extension (v. 0.45).

The good news is that I can now get it to work if I "Force Quit" Firefox. I had previously installed a custom "theme" and I think this may have been the problem.

The bad news is that if I do a regular "Quit" command - how one is *supposed* to quit an application (File --> Quit, or Command-Q), then all my tabs are lost. I believe this is because Firefox on the Mac first closes the window before quitting, since I also get a warning message asking me if I want to close a window with multiple tabs.

I would rather not have to "force-quit" the application everytime just to save my tabs, so I hope there is some possible work-around.

Cheers.
old zeniko

Re: Update

Post by old zeniko »

Luhmann wrote:I would rather not have to "force-quit" the application everytime just to save my tabs, so I hope there is some possible work-around.

As I haven't got access to any Mac, it's quite difficult for me to work this out. I'll see what I can do. As a work-around, I suggest giving SessionSaver another chance.
old zeniko

Re: Update

Post by old zeniko »

EDIT: removed duplicated entry caused by CR restoring the forum's confirmation page.
Last edited by old zeniko on February 25th, 2005, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Thanks. That version of SessionSaver works fine!
Jomel

Causes a crash in a particular circumstance

Post by Jomel »

With CR 0.4.5 (or 0.4.3) installed a strange combination of html/js causes Firefox to crash (it doesn't crash with CR disabled) - I reported this at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276370, but you may be able to shed some light...
old zeniko

Re: Causes a crash in a particular circumstance

Post by old zeniko »

Jomel wrote:With CR 0.4.5 (or 0.4.3) installed a strange combination of html/js causes Firefox to crash (it doesn't crash with CR disabled) - I reported this at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276370, but you may be able to shed some light...

I can't help you on this one, I'm afraid. I suppose you've discovered a bug in Firefox, as a simple extension (XUL/JavaScript only) shouldn't be able to crash anything. Maybe rue (the author of SessionSaver [on which CR is based]) can help you further, as the bug happens with his extension as well.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Both links in the first post to CR 0.4.5 open a blank "Untitled" tab for me. I did the right click trick though. Just thought you may want to know.
Stormmind

Post by Stormmind »

The extension stopped working in 1.0.3 with crashes and alien behavior as result (can't open js-popups, for instance; firefox crashes, doesn't restart after that). It worked fine with 1.0.2, though.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Stormmind wrote:The extension stopped working in 1.0.3 with crashes and alien behavior as result (can't open js-popups, for instance; firefox crashes, doesn't restart after that). It worked fine with 1.0.2, though.

I'm not able to reproduce your problems (using a clean profile). Are you sure that Crash Recovery causes them? If it does work under a clean profile, it's most probably either a defect profile, another extension or the combination of CR and another extension (and a defect profile) which can lead to the observed behavior (extensions not working under 1.0.3 have been collected at adot's notblog).

Should the problems persist, please describe more precisely how to reproduce them (including what other extensions/themes you're using). As an alternative, you might consider trying SessionSaver.
Stormmind

Post by Stormmind »

Hmm.. you were right. I disabled all extensions and then started updating/enabling
them one by one again. And now it seems to be working again.
I'll just blame it all on Windows =)
gssq

Post by gssq »

zeniko: Any plans for a new version? Or to merge any of the new features/code from the newest version of SessionSaver into Crash Recovery?

It's still working fine on the Apr 18th build. And I like the restoring of text in form boxes, which SessionSaver does not do...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

There most probably won't be any new version of Crash Recovery. SessionSaver should finally get text restoring in the next version, making Crash Recovery obsolete. In the meantime, you might want to consider using MozEX for editing text in an external editor - that's what I'm doing for the 05/02 nightly build.
gssq

Post by gssq »

I save my stuff most times. Thanks.
old zeniko

Crash Recovery [discontinued as of Mai 30]

Post by old zeniko »

Crash Recovery's functionality was successfully merged into SessionSaver as of SessionSaver version 0.2d nightly 28. As that extension is more robust and better maintained than Crash Recovery, it is recommended to migrate to SessionSaver.

Thanks to you all for using and supporting Crash Recovery!