[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
tommytao

bug or default behaviour ?!?????

Post by tommytao »

After i close Firefox, i open firefox (with CR) again, all tabs are recovered. Fine !!! :)

But when i close firefox, and click html link in Outlook Express, the html link is opened in FF, and all recovery tabs are opened in right side of html link tab (rather than left side)

It's a bug or just normal CR behaviour ? Because i think FF should execute CR first, and then open the clicked html link, so that all recovery tabs should be in left side of html link tab.

It seems more logical in users view (just my personal feeling), is it possible to change it ?

Anyway, thanks for your CR, it rescued many many tabs, and virtually made FF more stable and reliable!!! (coz crash = very very little side effects in FF + CR)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@tommytao: You indeed observe a bug (introduced around version 0.6.0.2). It should now be fixed as of version 0.6.2.
akaidiot

Post by akaidiot »

I use Crash Recovery together with the Session manager in Tab Mix Plus. The reason for the 2 session saving extensions is that when the computer crashes all together sometimes the tab mix plus session gets corrupted.

So For me it would be useful if it would be possible to have crash recovery to be completly invisible othere than when I come looking for a crashed session. So when I discover that a tab mix plus session has gotten corrupted I can set crash recovery to restore it's save of the session.

Is this possible?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@akaidiot: Crash Recovery will always prompt you for restoring a crashed session (wouldn't make much sense to have this extension when it doesn't even do that ;-)). If you don't like that, you'll have to write some code for yourself (it is possible to disable the prompt by setting the pref extensions.crashrecovery.restore_prompt_uri to a chrome window which just sets the first integer argument in the dialog arguments to 1 and closes before being displayed - or by simply hacking crashrecovery.js to always return false from doRecoverSession). But then you'd also have to take care of creating backups of the crashed sessions and of restoring them manually. All in all, it'd be much easier if you just used Session Manager instead of TMP for managing your sessions (since I've never heard of any corrupted sessions with that one yet).
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

zeniko, you havr the patience of a saint...
I'm just waiting for some one to pose the following questions....

I've installed CrashRecovery in my FireFox browser, but why doesn't it automagically fixed my car which got hit by a truck yesterday (crash recovery?!?!) ... ??

Is there a difference between a morning/night session, summer/winter session??

can crash recovery or it's companion Session manager pick out winning lottery numbers.....

I like using the keyboard with my feet. Can I tell CrashRecovery to warn SessionManager that my feet smell.. Can you make this a hidden pref...

Adblock doesn't block http://whydoyoufollowthislink.com . can you fix it.....??

:-) :-) :-) ;-)
BudsieBuds

Post by BudsieBuds »

I discovered a bug in the English translation; (Automagically)

And, if you want me to, I can translate Crash Recovery to Dutch...

~Take care, Budsie
Some people are just allive because it's illegal to kill them!
Peng

Post by Peng »

BudsieBuds wrote:I discovered a bug in the English translation; (Automagically)

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/A/automagically.html :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
BudsieBuds

Post by BudsieBuds »

Dude...

LOL

~Budsie

BTW I still want to translate it to Dutch though! ;)
Some people are just allive because it's illegal to kill them!
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@BudsieBuds: Feel free to do so. You can add your translation to the Web Translation System at http://www.babelzilla.org/ where all translations for this (and many other) extensions are hosted.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

zeniko wrote:@Peng: The scroll positions stored in [WindowX.TabY] are the scroll positions of the active frameset (only one level deep) for easier restoring. The other scroll positions are those taken from are those taken from Mozilla's history (which is not updated when you scroll on the active page). I'll see whether I can unify these two data sets, but that's no priority.

As it happens, this has been done for <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/crashrecovery.xpi">version 0.6.3</a>. Scrolling positions (and text data) are now restored to an arbitrary frame depth.

Additionally, this version offers you a novum: WYSIWYG text data should now also be restored (you might use a WYSIWYG editor for your blogging or webmail account or a CMS). You can try out this functionality with this demo editor.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Eep. Adblock Plus and now Crash Recovery are getting updates right after I open a number of new tabs. I don't like closing Firefox with more than say 12 tabs open. But active development is a good thing, though it's sometimes a little inconvenient to me. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Peng

Post by Peng »

I don't use an WYSIWYG editors, but it does seem to be working. Neat. :)

Edit: Hmm. How do a bunch of pages in one tab get IDs from 3824120781 to 3824120826? I certainly haven't opened 3.8 billion pages in the last five days.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Peng

Post by Peng »

I've noticed that Crash Recovery submits POST data again when reloading after a crash. Well, it shouldn't. I ended up submitting a comment on one website twice and tried to vote on a bunch of quotes twice on qdb.us. It's better to get an annoying error page by the website saying you're lacking POST data than to do different things twice. Firefox informs you when POST data will be submitted again while going back and forward or refreshing a page, but Crash Recovery isn't doing that.

(I'm triple-posting because the forums won't send you a new email when a post is edited.)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Peng wrote:How do a bunch of pages in one tab get IDs from 3824120781 to 3824120826? I certainly haven't opened 3.8 billion pages in the last five days.

Who said I was counting from 0? ;-) They're just IDs, supposed to be pretty much unique.

Peng wrote:I've noticed that Crash Recovery submits POST data again when reloading after a crash. Well, it shouldn't.

I'll look into this. The best solution would probably be to display an internal error page instead, from which you could resubmit the data if you wanted to. OTOH, if you don't want POSTDATA restoration at all, you can simply disable it through setting extensions.crashrecovery.postdata to 0.
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:Who said I was counting from 0? ;-) They're just IDs, supposed to be pretty much unique.

Because it usually counts up from zero. Except now it's also counting up from 4158661582. The first entry in the first tab is 0, then the next one is 4158661582, and it goes up to 4158661619.

zeniko wrote:I'll look into this. The best solution would probably be to display an internal error page instead, from which you could resubmit the data if you wanted to. OTOH, if you don't want POSTDATA restoration at all, you can simply disable it through setting extensions.crashrecovery.postdata to 0.

If I set extensions.crashrecovery.postdata to 0, does it still save stuff in text boxes like this?

Edit: Firefox uses that dialog, but since Crash Recovery is for restoring from crashes and loads lots of tabs at the same time, it should use an error page instead of the same dialog...

Edit: If Cache Fixer is still built in, well, it doesn't work for me on Linux. The cache still gets completely wiped out.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)