[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
RockOfVictory

Post by RockOfVictory »

zeniko wrote:just set the pref crashrecovery.sessionsaver to true (in about:config).

Oh yeah, I think I remember running across that - I think that's what I'll do since I've never needed to save a session of tabs manually (which is the main advantage SS has over CR). Thanks!
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Great extension. Is there any chance of slightly extended functionality? One of my major bug-bears with Firefox at the mo is the way it stalls downloads after a crash, and as I use the browser extensively sometimes with upwards of 50 tabs open I get crashes almost daily. Is there any chance of this extension offering to restart all downloads in progress on recovery after a crash? If so, or if someone could tell me of an extension that will do so, I'll be most happy. Please note I don't want to have to use an external download manager like GetRight. I've tried and none seem to integrate seamlessly.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Zathras wrote:Is there any chance of this extension offering to restart all downloads in progress on recovery after a crash?

This functionality is planned for the next release (v0.4). Unfortunately, it only works in Firefox, so far. Should you in fact surf with Firefox, you can try out the preview release.

One other major new feature is text-field-saving: all multiline text fields are preserved and their text can be easily retrieved after a crash (they are saved once per minute, you can adjust this interval through the hidden pref crashrecovery.textsaver_interval).

If there aren't any major complaints, this version will become v0.4 next week.
koinu

Post by koinu »

crash recovery 0.3.4 is great and i'm finding it MUCH more reliable than session saver. no complaints with core functionality.

however on OSX 10.3.6 with firefox 1.0 i am having an annoyance. when i start up after a crash, and the question box comes up asking me if i want to restore, this box does not accept clicks. i have to hide firefox with command-h and then unhide before the box will accept clicks. no big deal but it was confusing at first.

in case it matters, my other installed extensions are user agent switcher 0.6 and delicious delicacies 0.3. i had the latest sessionsaver by rue and pike, but i uninstalled it before installing crash recovery.

also, small thing, for some reason the link to the .xpi did not attempt to install directly into firefox but made me download to desktop first

thank you for crashrecovery.sessionsaver setting too! this is great. i was using option-command-esc to force quit firefox just to get this functionality before i saw this hidden pref :P this functionality of old sessionsaver is useful to me and i'm glad to see it included. your description of crash recovery seeemed to imply that it would only save the tabs of one window, but if i use command-q to close firefox, it saves all tabs in all windows. this is great! please leave that part as is
koinu

Post by koinu »

just for completeness, i tried 0.4-dev too. the same problem in osx is there, needing to hide and unhide. also the dialog box did not show up at all until i clicked on the firefox icon in the Dock again (i think i remember this happening once before with 0.3.4 but not sure).

so in all, i had to click on firefox in dock to start, click on firefox in dock to show dialog box, hide firefox, and click on firefox in dock again to unhide. then it works!

i think i'll disable the dialog box for now. but if you get this fixed i will turn it back on, because i want the protection from infinite loops, etc., on bad pages

thanks!

and now i'm nitpicking, but crashrecovery.restore_prompt would make more sense as a boolean, for when someone decides to turn it back on.
(i love it too when somebody else tells me how to program :\ sorry!)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

koinu wrote:however on OSX 10.3.6 with firefox 1.0 i am having an annoyance. when i start up after a crash, and the question box comes up asking me if i want to restore, this box does not accept clicks. i have to hide firefox with command-h and then unhide before the box will accept clicks. no big deal but it was confusing at first.

I just posted an updated version (v0.4 dev.1), which might solve this problem (on Windows the dialog now also appears centered on screen instead of in the upper left corner).

koinu wrote:crashrecovery.restore_prompt would make more sense as a boolean, for when someone decides to turn it back on.

I originally intended to allow the option to never restore after a crash - but this obviously doesn't make much sense. ;-) Due to this change, make sure to reset crashrecovery.restore_prompt (or delete it in prefs.js) before updating, otherwise Crash Recovery might not start at all.

koinu wrote:also, small thing, for some reason the link to the .xpi did not attempt to install directly into firefox but made me download to desktop first

The server isn't configured for .xpi files. I'll see what I can do about it.

On a different note: For Mozilla, v0.4 won't install if you haven't uninstalled v0.3 before.
koinu

Post by koinu »

zeniko wrote:I just posted an updated version (v0.4 dev.1), which might solve this problem (on Windows the dialog now also appears centered on screen instead of in the upper left corner).

Problem fixed on OSX now! :)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've just officially released Crash Recovery 0.4. It additionally saves the content of all text fields (multiline text areas only) and restores them after a crash in a separate tab. Further on, the startup prompt after a crash has become optional and is now correctly displayed on all systems. Finally, for Firefox all interrupted downloads are automatically restarted - if the download source is still available.

There are also a few more hidden prefs: crashrecovery.restore_prompt enables/disables the startup prompt; crashrecovery.textsaver enables/disables text field saving; text fields are usually saved once a minute - this can be customized trough crashrecovery.textsaver_interval (in milliseconds); after a crash, there might exist several entries beginning with crashrecovery.backup, containing the URLs of the lost pages and all the text field data stored before the crash.

For Mozilla, upgrading seems to be broken, you'll have to uninstall v0.3.x first. For Firefox, upgrading works since v0.3.1.
kenk

Post by kenk »

This is probably a pretty basic problem but could someone please give me some direction?
As noted previously, 'Crash Recovery' doesn't self-install.
I've downloaded it but can't figure out how to install it.

Have a Great day!!!
Ken
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

kenk wrote:I've downloaded it but can't figure out how to install it.

As mentioned above, you can install downloaded extensions either through the menu (File -> Open File...) or simply by dropping them over a browser window.
kenk

Post by kenk »

Thanks Zeniko. I missed the instructions above.

Have a Great day!!!
Ken
Stormmind

Post by Stormmind »

Hi!
I'm using Firefox 1.0 and session-saver feature doesn't work.
That is if I close the firefox manually the tabs are not restored.
Or did I get something wrong and this is not what it supposed to do?
I have version 0.4 of the extension.
Stormmind

Post by Stormmind »

Btw, my settings are:

restore_prompt: true
running: true
save_interval: 10000
sessionsaver: true
textsaver: true
textsaver_interval: 60000
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Stormmind wrote:I'm using Firefox 1.0 and session-saver feature doesn't work.
That is if I close the firefox manually the tabs are not restored.
Or did I get something wrong and this is not what it supposed to do?
I have version 0.4 of the extension.

What other extensions do you have installed? One of them might cause session saving to stop working. For example, there is a known incompatibility with older versions of Download Statusbar (as mentioned above).

In order to determine where the problem might be located, try deactivating all other extensions one by one or create a new, clean profile and install only Crash Recovery there. If CR starts working then, please mention the incompatible extension. If not, you'll have to list your OS and all the installed extensions here.
koinu

Post by koinu »

koinu wrote:your description of crash recovery seeemed to imply that it would only save the tabs of one window, but if i use command-q to close firefox, it saves all tabs in all windows. this is great! please leave that part as is

this part now seems to be working as originally described. this was quite a disappointment; i lost a lot of tabs today because i thought that they would be there when i opened firefox again but only the tabs of one window remained.

could you please allow crashrecovery.sessionsaver to restore all tabs in all windows, either by default or through an extra config option? i would like to be able to just close firefox normally and have all tabs in all windows restored, without having to "force quit" instead