[Ext] Crash Recovery 0.6.10 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

koinu wrote:could you please allow crashrecovery.sessionsaver to restore all tabs in all windows, either by default or through an extra config option? i would like to be able to just close firefox normally and have all tabs in all windows restored, without having to "force quit" instead

This is actually still supposed to work. I've fixed some more (maybe related) bugs and uploaded Crash Recovery 0.4.1. What you want does work for me for Firefox and Mozilla (under WinXP).

If it still doesn't work, could you please check that there aren't any errors thrown by CR in the JavaScript Console (located in the Tools menu). However, if crash recovering works for multiple windows, session saving should do so, as well (I use the same code for both).
beeboo

Post by beeboo »

What is the scale of crashrecovery.save_interval? The default value is 10000... is that in milliseconds? so the default is to save every 10 seconds?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

beeboo wrote:What is the scale of crashrecovery.save_interval? The default value is 10000... is that in milliseconds? so the default is to save every 10 seconds?

All _interval values are indeed in milliseconds. Contrary to what its name might suggest, save_interval does not indicate how often the browser's state is saved, but at most how often this is done. So per default CR saves whenever you surf to a new page or open or close a window or a tab - but not more than once per 10 seconds. textsaver_interval on the other hand does what you'd expect: it saves your text areas once per minute, no matter what - but still not more often than once per save_interval.
koinu

Post by koinu »

zeniko wrote:If it still doesn't work, could you please check that there aren't any errors thrown by CR in the JavaScript Console (located in the Tools menu). However, if crash recovering works for multiple windows, session saving should do so, as well (I use the same code for both).

I can't recreate the problem now. All I can do is try to describe it, and it only happened once. I had between thirty-five and fifty tabs open in a total of three or four windows. The Firefox option to warn when closing multiple tabs was on; I initially thought that this caused the loss of the tabs in the other windows, as the last window that I "approved" the closing of was the only one that came back, if I remember correctly. I thought perhaps that there was a capture of tabs between the time of the first approval and the last. But this option does not now appear to make a difference. Anyway, when I opened up the about:config after restarting Firefox, there was only data on "window14". Beyond that, I cannot think of anything pertinent to the problem.

Just now, for the sake of completeness, I checked the JavaScript Console, and there is one error that I cannot see an obvious source for. It's probably totally unrelated (especially since I'm not seeing this problem now), but here it is just in case:

Error: [Exception... "'Component does not have requested interface' when calling method: [nsIInterfaceRequestor::getInterface]" nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]
y0zza

Post by y0zza »

Many thanks for the extension. However, at least in my case, it doesn't seem to restore all Windows -- just one of them. I'm also running Linux, if that makes any difference. Let me know if/how I can provide more debug info.

Here is the InfoLister output with all my installed extensions.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041116 Firefox/1.0
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

y0zza wrote:However, at least in my case, it doesn't seem to restore all Windows -- just one of them. I'm also running Linux, if that makes any difference. Let me know if/how I can provide more debug info.

As CR works both under Windows and Mac OS X, this might be a bug in the Linux builds of Firefox (I briefly searched Bugzilla, but didn't find anything, though). Does SessionSaver (especially the most recent version) work all right for you?
y0zza

Post by y0zza »

I tried the latest SessionSaver with a new profile and it also only restores one window. I tried CR on Windows just to check what the expected behaviour should be, and in Linux neither CR nor SessionSaver works like it does in Windows :(

I'm using the official 1.0 source release, compiled with gcc 3.3.4 using -O2 -march=pentium4 flags.
y0zza

Post by y0zza »

It appears that the latest version of sessionsaver has fixed this problem in Linux. Refer to the SessionSaver thread and Sigh_More_ID's posts in particular.

Could this be transferred into CR?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

y0zza wrote:It appears that the latest version of sessionsaver has fixed this problem in Linux. Could this be transferred into CR?

Try out this preview release of CrashRecovery 0.5. It features this one and some more bug fixes and improvements from the latest SessionSaver version (most notably session cookie saving).

On the other hand, I've removed the text field saving feature, since I'm not at all satisfied with its UI (most of you probably have never even noticed that it existed, anyway).
y0zza

Post by y0zza »

Yes, this release works :D Multiple windows are restored properly now!

Please bring back the text field saving though! It saved me a couple of times already even when CR was restoring just a single window.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've just uploaded Crash Recovery 0.4.3 which includes all bug fixes from the most recent SessionSaver nightly (n25 pass5), session cookie saving and a French locale. Text saving remains a feature for now (because of this, I decided to increase the revision number only).

EDIT:
I just added a Polish locale, as well. BTW, the French translation was done by NaWer and the Polish translation by Leszek Życzkowski.
rizwank

Post by rizwank »

BUG : Cr does not restore FF windows correctly if the main window is closed and "downloads" is still up

Here's the deal.
I use CR for saving across sessions too, whether it is a crash or not. IF I close my FF window (but the Download Manager / Extension Manager is up), it continues to save the current windows information (except there is no browser window, so it wipes out the stores tabs )

Can you take a look at this?
Cheers!
Rizwan
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

rizwank wrote:BUG : Cr does not restore FF windows correctly if the main window is closed and "downloads" is still up

This bug has been fixed in Crash Recovery 0.4.4 (although, cookie saving might not work if the last closed window is no browser window).
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've just uploaded Crash Recovery 0.4.5 which adds POSTDATA saving and some minor bug fixes from the most recent SessionSaver (0.2d nightly 26 pass5 ii).
southside97

Post by southside97 »

ok, i've tried this extension and saver session .2 and both sometimes crash firefox, sometimes doesn't. I don't know what the problem is. It's not any other extension that's causing it.

i will keep seeing if this is a recurring issue or not...

whenever i have several tabs open and close it via x button, then restart firefox, sometimes it would crash. then when trying to recover the tabs, when i press okay, it would still crash. the only way around it is to press cancel on CR popup....

this is what error message i get...

firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs toclose. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: firefox.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: firefox.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.0 Offset: 001573d9

i am using latest firefox and have winxp sp2, amd 1800+, 512mb ram...