Config of Alternate Stylesheet Switcher

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Netsabes wrote:
alanjstr wrote:It's readable, it just doesn't look right.

Do you use semantic markup? (ie. <ul>'s & <li>'s for list of links, <h[1-6]>'s for titles, and so on...)
If yes, your site should look right in non-graphical browsers, or in browsers that do not support CSS.
If no, then use semantic markup :)

For example, the page for my Phoenix Installer is totally unreadable when you use Lynx, while this one is correctly displayed under Lynx. (I'll update the Phoenix Installer page soon :)

I use items such as a floating navigation bar on the left. I believe that with xhtml, they are even moving away from Hx tags.

I can't check my site out with a non-gui at the moment, but I'll be sure to look

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hotabay1/
seb

Post by seb »

alanjstr wrote:I use items such as a floating navigation bar on the left. I believe that with xhtml, they are even moving away from Hx tags.

And you're wrong. They will even remain in XHTML2 under the form of the <h> tag (incremented automatically at each <section>, and decremented at each </section>, if I'm not wrong).
The point of using semantic markup is that the markup has a sense. If you put everything in a div or in a span, you don't need html, you only need a language with two tags. Moreover, putting everything in div's is meaningless, because you don't really separate content and layout: you make your HTML only to have the possibility to skin it with CSS.
You should produce HTML that has a sense even without CSS. Remember that the design is not why people go to your site. They go to your site because they want to read it. And if you use div's everywhere, people without a good CSS browser won't be able to read it.
priior

Post by priior »

alanjstr:
I use items such as a floating navigation bar on the left

u can use "semantic markup" and still have ur toolbar on the left... just because it looks funny with the css's turned off doesn't mean it's unusable... I think it's good to give the user the choice to view your page any way they want :) (besides, i checked ur source.. it's much better than most of the websites out there!:)

seb:
If you put everything in a div or in a span, you don't need html,

moreover, not to mention the fact that div and span have specific purposes... Using them for something else.. is like using tables for placement.

And if you think no one uses lynx...

I have a lot of web projects sitting on a server that i ssh into.... there was this huge file i had to transfer to that server from another server.. the file was sitting on a http:// . so instead of downloading it at home.. then uploading it to the server... i lynx'ed to the site from the webhost.. and downloaded it directly.. i was SO HAPPY the site didnt break in lynx.

so there.. hehe moral of the day :)
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

priior wrote:<snip>

And if you think no one uses lynx...

I have a lot of web projects sitting on a server that i ssh into.... there was this huge file i had to transfer to that server from another server.. the file was sitting on a http:// . so instead of downloading it at home.. then uploading it to the server... i lynx'ed to the site from the webhost.. and downloaded it directly.. i was SO HAPPY the site didnt break in lynx.

so there.. hehe moral of the day :)

I appreciate sites that don't break lynx when I'm trying to get Xfree86 working on a new system. It's nice to be able to go download drivers and find info on your video card without having to go to a different computer.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

My site looks just fine in lynx. The layout created by the CSS isn't critical. There is no rule that says a web page has to look the same in every browser, so forcing the navigation bar to be on the left via tables is not my design choice.

There are many sites which not only require a graphical browser, but require Flash for navigation. Yuck.

And that's all I have to say on this topic.