Tabbed Browser Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
alanjstr

Tabbed Browser Extension

Post by alanjstr »

One of the most often asked about extensions, in terms of features, seems to be TBE ( http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_ta ... ns.html.en ). If you had to pick one or two of the features from TBE to be included into Mozilla/Phoenix, what would they be? If there is enough support for certain features, maybe we can be persuasive.

Personally, I like Single Window Mode and Tabs At the Bottom
rbrimhall

Post by rbrimhall »

single window mode for me... as well as the context menu extensions when right-clicking on tab
flii

Post by flii »

the only thing i can think of offhand is the single mode option. i didn't want to install tbe just for this feature, so i can't remember the other things i liked. i wanted to be able to confirm/report bugs, so i have no extensions, etc installed. i would love the single mode to be included. :)
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Tabs at the bottom is not a bad idea, but Ph already has an option to keep the tab bar on even if there's only a single tab. That's almost as good.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

rbrimhal wrote:single window mode for me... as well as the context menu extensions when right-clicking on tab

Err, which of those context extensions in particular?
leoz

Post by leoz »

I think that Undo Close Tab, Ctrl-Shift-Z for short is a brilliant feature that is a tremendous help to me - it has saved me many small frustrations when I close a tab and immediately realize that I want to go back to it.

I love the lock / auto-reload support and the ability to save them to the bookmarks so they open automatically.

And of course the confirmation to close window when multiple tabs are open is an obvious feature that IMHO should be in the base code.

TabGroup mode is also very nice, but perhaps arcane enough that it should be an extension.

Overall TBE is amazing and I can't imagine using Phoenix without it.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Hmm, I use so much of TBE that Phoenix seems broken (to me) without it. Just to start:
* single browser mode
* undo close tab
* middle-click to open bookmarks in tabs
* make last tab unloadable
* new tab/close tab behavior
* move tab left/right
* double-click tab to close all other tabs

and I haven't even tried the Group Tab mode yet. I'd say leave Phoenix as it is, to avoid conflicts with TBE, or incorporate all of TBE into Phoenix by default.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Neil Parks wrote:Tabs at the bottom is not a bad idea, but Ph already has an option to keep the tab bar on even if there's only a single tab. That's almost as good.

One of these days I'll have to try that. My biggest peeve is when starting to add tabs, the whole thing shifts down.

And then I put a lot of effort into userChrome to get the tabs at the bottom looking good with my skin and getting Piro to add a new class. Perhaps I like having them at the bottom because that's where my Windows taskbar is.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

leoz wrote:And of course the confirmation to close window when multiple tabs are open is an obvious feature that IMHO should be in the base code.

It's a terrific idea, but it has never worked for me. Whatever I do when I get that confirm box, the doggone thing goes ahead and closes anyway.

If it can be made to work correctly and consistently, then it would be a most valauable addition to Ph base code.
leoz

Post by leoz »

Neil Parks wrote:
leoz wrote:And of course the confirmation to close window when multiple tabs are open is an obvious feature that IMHO should be in the base code.

It's a terrific idea, but it has never worked for me. Whatever I do when I get that confirm box, the doggone thing goes ahead and closes anyway.

If it can be made to work correctly and consistently, then it would be a most valauable addition to Ph base code.

Seems to work fine for me with 120401 TBE. This is the first version of TBE in which I get the popup when I use the X to close the window - which is what I usually do - but I've never seen the behavior you describe.

To be clear - I go to close a window with multiple tabs, click Cancel on the popup and the window doesn't close. If I hit OK, it does.

BTW, I completely agree with nightfly that Phoenix feels broken to me without TBE. Some other features I use occasionally and are very nice when needed:
Duplicate tab in new window / Duplicate tab.
drag/drop reordering of tabs.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

leoz wrote:BTW, I completely agree with nightfly that Phoenix feels broken to me without TBE. Some other features I use occasionally and are very nice when needed:
Duplicate tab in new window / Duplicate tab.
drag/drop reordering of tabs.

Same here. Not having TBE would mean a major restriction of Phoenix usability to me. The features I use in particular are single window mode, last tab unloadable, drag'n'drop reordering, duplicating, reload permissions and I have removed all context menu items I don't use (the dangerous "Close All Tabs" for example).
leoz

Post by leoz »

I am just curious here - noone else other than me mentions the "Undo close tab" feature as one of the ones they use - but for me, it is absolutely essential. Is it just that I am more impulsive about closing my tabs then other people? :).
David James

Post by David James »

Has anyone else noticed that Shift+Ctrl+Left Click is not different thatn Ctrl+Left Click with TBE installed? That's a little annoying as there are times when I do want to fork the link into the foreground...
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
leoz

Post by leoz »

David James wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Shift+Ctrl+Left Click is not different thatn Ctrl+Left Click with TBE installed? That's a little annoying as there are times when I do want to fork the link into the foreground...

I haven't noticed because I have never known about Shift-ctrl-left click opening the tab in the foreground. I never seem to want this ability - but if it's important to you, if you send email about it to Piro he might (probably will) add it to TBE.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

leoz wrote:I am just curious here - noone else other than me mentions the "Undo close tab" feature as one of the ones they use - but for me, it is absolutely essential. Is it just that I am more impulsive about closing my tabs then other people? :).

I don't use TBE (too many features for me), but this does sound like a killer feature. I've definitely closed tabs by accident before.