Menu Editor 1.2 beta

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
asqueella

Menu Editor 1.2 beta

Post by asqueella »

Menu Editor 1.2 is released. See http://menueditor.mozdev.org/
Thanks for your help with testing. Please post further messages in this thread.

1.1 dev. changelog is available at http://mozilla.doslash.org/stuff/me-changelog.txt

Currently known extension conflicts:
- unable to reliably work with "snapback tab/window" items of SessionSaver (probably will fix after a new version of SS is released)
- Greasemonkey 0.2.3 version that works with ME is available at http://mozilla.doslash.org/stuff/
Last edited by asqueella on May 11th, 2005, 2:54 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Will uninstalling this get it back to the way it was before trying it? For me it's double and tripling items listed in the menus.

edit: Nevermind, I shut FF down and restarted twice and it seems to be working right, now. Looks like this version works for me. I tried the last two versions and they loaded fine but when I tried to use it, nothing worked. Everything appeared in the window but there was not functionality with the buttons or drag and drop.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Were you using a localized build? This is the first version that should work correctly with localized builds.

Uninstalling the extension will get everything to the way it was before installing it, unless you hit a bug in Extension Manager.

Tripling items? That's interesting. Any ideas what might have caused it? Can it be because of older menuedit.rdf left from previous installations?
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

I wish I would have made a screenshot at the time but didn't. I used it to group a few text menus, meaning the one's I don't have an image beside them, together at the bottom of each menu. I only moved one to start with to see if it would work. I applied it, then checked to see if it moved it and it did, so I moved on to another menu and grouped two more together and did the same thing. I selected OK and closed ME then opened back up and was going to move one more and did, hit apply and went to look at the menu and that's when I noticed in the menus it had doubled and tripled some listings. They weren't located in the menu next to each other but spaced apart. If I didn't have the image icons for the labels I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Is the menuedit.rdf specific to ME? If it is then it might have been the reason. After uninstalling the older versions of ME, I made sure the corresponding empty folders were deleted but didn't know about a menuedit.rdf located in the Profile folder. If it was left behind from previous installations I'm not sure on the other hand if it would have made a difference because I was never able to move or edit anything with the older versions because it wouldn't let me do anything. The old versions would just pop the ME window up and allow me to close it out. I'm using one of the third-party versions 1/16.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Greg: menuedit.rdf is specific to ME. Since todays build I will purge it if format is incompatible. Hopefully I won't need to do that often.

Thanks for testing, but frankly I don't understand what was your problem with duplicate menu items. Let's just hope it was caused by broken datasource.

new version 20050202
- Fixed a stupid bug that messed up with menuseparators (Note to self: Never code at night.)
- Added a version check to menuedit.rdf. This will rename your menuedit.rdf when upgrading from incompatible version. Installing this version over any previous should issue an alert and remove all customizations. They will still be available in menuedit.bak in case you decide to switch to previous version.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

asqueella wrote:Greg:

Thanks for testing, but frankly I don't understand what was your problem with duplicate menu items. Let's just hope it was caused by broken datasource.

I don't understand either. But it's working fine now. I've tried to reproduce it for a screenshot, but can't. I really do like this extension! Thanks
onemen

Post by onemen »

Code: Select all

Error: EM_menuPopup has no properties
Source File: chrome://menuedit/content/menueditoverlay.js
Line: 226

Code: Select all

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIRDFContainer.GetCount]"  nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://menuedit/content/menueditprefs.js :: doReset :: line 190"  data: no]
Last edited by onemen on February 2nd, 2005, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

I installed the updated version and here ya go
some are tripled under file menu

edit: when I moved something under ME Main context menu, it went back to normal.
edit2: no I was wrong, it seems to be staying like that. Now everytime I open ME it gives me the incompate menuedit.rdf thingy
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

onemen: is that the latest version? Does deleting menuedit.rdf help?
Greg: Does deleting menuedit.rdf fix the "incompatible" message? Are you on Windows? Trunk Firefox? Any messages in JS Console? What extensions do you have installed?

edit- doh! figured out onemen's #1, thanks.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

asqueella wrote:onemen: is that the latest version? Does deleting menuedit.rdf help?
Greg: Does deleting menuedit.rdf fix the "incompatible" message? Are you on Windows? Trunk Firefox? Any messages in JS Console? What extensions do you have installed?

edit- doh! figured out onemen's #1, thanks.

I just downloaded latest bangbang version created a new profile, saved ME for last and it works worst now than it did before. It's not doubling up on listings now but when I arrange the way I want it then close it out, they re- arrange to a different order in the menus. I'm gonna delete the .rdf and backup and try again.
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Well it ain't gonna work right for me. I get it the way I want and close it out and close FF and when I launch FF it re-arranges the list completely.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

onemen: I fixed the bug reported by you, you weren't supposed to click on Find New before the menus were edited at least once ;)
The second problem was caused by first, so it's fixed too. I will make a real fix for both later.

Greg: It's not clear to me what's happening there. First, try this new version, it must improve things a bit.
Also, could you send your menuedit.rdf to me (my nickname @gmail.com or via my profile page)?

Do you know how to use the DOM Inspector? If so, can you try to find out what's happening?

Do you have any official builds? Do they work?
Do you have Firefox 1.0? Does it work? (I usually test with 1.0)

Again, what's your exact version string?
Am I correct that the Apply/OK work correctly (ie. all menus are rearranged as you want it until a restart)?

I would really like to make Menu Editor work for you.

version 20050202, try 2
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

I completly un-installed the old version of Menu Editor including any Profile-Extension traces
and installed v1.1.20050101 and have not had any issues with it.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

Greg: It's not clear to me what's happening there. First, try this new version, it must improve things a bit.

I'll give it a try
Do you know how to use the DOM Inspector?

Limited, but yes I know how
Do you have any official builds?

No
Again, what's your exact version string?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050202 Firefox/1.0+
Am I correct that the Apply/OK work correctly (ie. all menus are rearranged as you want it until a restart)?

Yes.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

GrailKnight, cool, thanks for letting me know :)
Can you try installing the newer version *without uninstalling previous versions or deleting menuedit.rdf* to see if it handles version changes correctly (it should rename menuedit.rdf and force you to do all customizations again ;P)?