Menu Editor 1.2 beta

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Heh, line 201:

Code: Select all

EM_menuPopup.appendChild(elem); // xxx I once saw this throw invalid_pointer :-/

I couldn't reproduce this reliably though. I'll keep trying, in the meanwhile, could you install a newer version from the same location and tell me what it prints in JS Console?

What extensions do you have installed? Did you have problems similar to John's or were you having problems moving some of menu items?
John Liebson

Re: 20050308

Post by John Liebson »

asqueella wrote:My attempt at fixing all these problems with dynamically modified menus: 20050308.

This may be less stable than previous versions. Do not install unless you're willing to help me with testing. (John, I hope that you will install this version though).

As the latest update was to fix a problem I reported, am I now supposed to feel spoon fed?

Anyway, I've been using 20050308 since late yesterday afternoon. So far, I've not seen a single instance of the Clusty problem, thank you.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Should fix bug reported by onemen.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

BTW, this version also fixes almost all of problems ME had with SessionSaver for me. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

[edit] unfortunately it doesn't. Will need cooperation from SS on this.
Last edited by asqueella on March 10th, 2005, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onemen

Post by onemen »

so far all look good
bhe2g1

Post by bhe2g1 »

For some time I've been seeing some strangeness with seperators, either one appears where it shouldn't or one disappears. I've tried tracking down the cause and I've found a setup where each time I've tried it with a new profile it showed an extra seperator appearing, hopefully the following steps can be recreated by someone else:

1. Create new profile
2. Start Firefox with new profile
3. Go to Tools>Extensions
4. Drag and drop the extensions "Menu_Editor_1.1.20050310.xpi", "flashgot-0.5.7.6.xpi" and "Autohide_0.9.8.xpi" onto the extension manager window
5. Click the "Install Now" button
6. Close out extension manager window by clicking 'X'
7. Close out Firefox by clicking 'X'
8. Start Firefox
9. Go to Tools>Customize menus...
10. In Menu Editor disable the following in the Main context menu: the first appearance of "Send Link..."
11. Click "OK" button in Menu Editor
12. Right-click on blank space to show main context menu
13. Click on "FlashGot Options"
14. Second seperator appears between "View Page Info" and "Full Screen"

Version of Firefox installed:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041106 Firefox/1.0
Shazam001

Post by Shazam001 »

I think the issue with seperators is that they are not anchored to a set of options. When you right-click somewhere and a block of options is not available, the seperators above and below that set of options will still be visable. This results in a double seperator situation. A solution, if possible, would be to try to group the seperator with a given set of options. If the options are not available, neither should the seperator.
thorazine

Post by thorazine »

My problem is the opposite, I dont get double separators,well sometimes I get a couple, but what I have is that some separators disappear when u move the cursor over the contex menu, exactly when u move over a menu option to opens a submenu (like "This frame" submenu for example...).

The strange thing is this keep happening after I customized the context menu even though I resetted all customizations to default many times. Is there some cache file or hidden config I can delete to get rid of this?
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Sorry for the delay everyone.

bhe2g1, I can see this problem, but it is caused by AutoHide extension which inappropriately handles popupshowing event for flashgot submenu, overwriting visibility fro separators that ME has set. I have a fixed version here. However ME 20050315 has some sort of workaround for such extensions. Thanks for figuring out precise steps to reproduce!

Shazam001, it's not that easy. UI you described would awfully hard to create or understand. So I made Menu Editor to go through items of the menu being shown and hide consecutive separators. However mostly due to conflicts with other extensions, which show/hide various menu items and separators themselves, you sometimes see the doubled-separators problem. It would be nice to sort out all these issues during testing stage (and either include some workarounds in Menu Editor or get other extensions modified to work nicely with ME), so please report all oddities you see.

thorazine, there's no hidden cache or pref, but complete reset only happens when you click Reset All or remove menuedit.rdf in your profile.

Everybody who experiences problems with separators, could you please download the latest version and report the id of the separator(s) that is misbehaving. Also, what are the nearby menu items and what needs to be done to see the problem.

Install 20050315.
Shazam001

Post by Shazam001 »

Thanks for the separator id feature! Here's what I'm seeing caused by extensions:

Copy As Plain Text & Flashgot

When I right-click a link, here's what I see:

Copy Link Location
<sep>
<sep>
Flashgot Link

When I highlight part of the link then right-click, I get this:

Copy Link Location
<sep>
Copy
Copy As Plain Text
<sep>
Flashgot Link

The <sep> id above CAPT is: context-sep-undo
The <sep> id above Flashgot is: flashgot-context-separator

Looks like Copy As Plain Text is creating a blank entry when it doesn't need to be displayed.
Shazam001

Post by Shazam001 »

Another issue I found was with a blank entry in the Main Context Menu. I'm not sure where it came from, but it triggered the translateSeparator from Translate 0.6.0.6

When I hid the blank entry, the separator went away.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Shazam001: Cool, thanks. The Copy As Plain Text conflict should be fixed too. You can download new version from the same location.

I couldn't reproduce the conflict with Translator, though.
Shazam001

Post by Shazam001 »

asqueella wrote:Shazam001: Cool, thanks. The Copy As Plain Text conflict should be fixed too. You can download new version from the same location.

I couldn't reproduce the conflict with Translator, though.

Copy As Plain Text works, thanks! As far as translate goes, for some reason I have a blank line with a bookmark icon next to it. Once I hid it, it was ok. Might be from an old uninstalled extension. It just happened to be below the translate separator.

Also, is it possible to create new menu headers (File, Edit, etc)? I always wanted one to put all my extension options under instead of having everything under Tools.

Thanks for the great work! This is a must-have extension for power users!
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Also, is it possible to create new menu headers (File, Edit, etc)? I always wanted one to put all my extension options under instead of having everything under Tools.

Possible, but I'd like to release Menu Editor 1.2 with the set of features close to current and as stable as possible.
thorazine

Re: 20050315

Post by thorazine »

asqueella wrote:thorazine, there's no hidden cache or pref, but complete reset only happens when you click Reset All or remove menuedit.rdf in your profile.

Everybody who experiences problems with separators, could you please download the latest version and report the id of the separator(s) that is misbehaving. Also, what are the nearby menu items and what needs to be done to see the problem.

Deleting menuedit.rdf fixed the separator problem for me, it seems the reset button inside of menuedit wasnt properly resetting the menu to the default config. I know have the default menu with no sepators show/hide trouble, now I have to go back to customize the menu with the new version... ;-)

asqueella wrote:Shazam001, it's not that easy. UI you described would awfully hard to create or understand. So I made Menu Editor to go through items of the menu being shown and hide consecutive separators. However mostly due to conflicts with other extensions, which show/hide various menu items and separators themselves, you sometimes see the doubled-separators problem. It would be nice to sort out all these issues during testing stage (and either include some workarounds in Menu Editor or get other extensions modified to work nicely with ME), so please report all oddities you see.

Maybe a better approach would be just remove all the separators by default, let the user group different menu entries in a hierarchical tree, and automatically add the separators needed to make each group of entries appear as separated. Dont know if that would solve the problem with dynamically created separators, but I think it would be easier to customize ur menu from the user point of view.