MozillaZine

Menu Editor 1.2 beta

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
onemen

Post Posted March 26th, 2005, 1:33 am

now it's work for me 2... i can't reproduce the bug that caused the help menu to appear empty in the menu editor

bhe2g1

Post Posted March 28th, 2005, 1:24 pm

Hey asqueela, nice work on the disappearing and appearing seperator issue I talked about earlier, the 20050315 version did fix what I was seeing happen, I also had at least one other setup where I saw the strangeness with seperators and the Autohide extension wasn't involved and the 20050315 version fixed what I was seeing. I do have something else to report so here goes:

1. Create new profile
2. Start Firefox with new profile
3. Go to Tools>Extensions
4. Drag and drop the extensions:
"menuedit-20050315+.xpi"
"DictionarySearch_0.8.xpi"
5. Click the "Install Now" button
6. Close out extension manager window by clicking 'X'
7. Close out Firefox by clicking 'X'
8. Start Firefox
9. Go to Tools>Customize menus...
10. Scroll to the bottom of Main context menu listing and a blank entry is listed as the last item
11. Also, click the "Reset All" button then click the "OK" button to reset to default configuration, notice the "Apply" button is not greyed out

A note about the "Apply" button not being greyed out. I have seen and been able to reproduce a situation where after pressing the "Reset All" button entries listed at the bottom of the main context menu disappear (2-3 entries) until the "Apply" button is clicked. So there maybe a little more to it than just a simple button not being greyed out. This does appear to be related in someway to the DictionarySearch extension (As it is included in the situation I've seen entries disappear) so if what I see can be fixed without going into the more detailed step-by-step details it would be easier.

Version of Firefox installed:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041106 Firefox/1.0

Also is it preferred to post to bugzilla with the above kind of information?

asqueella

Post Posted March 29th, 2005, 12:43 am

Thanks a lot. I fixed this problem in 20050329.

For the record, it was due to Dictionary search putting its <stringbundle> in the context menu. Wierd code.

[edit] as for bugzilla, whatever you like. It's a bit more convenient when bugs are reported in bugzilla, but I don't mind you reporting them here.

Gobd

Post Posted March 29th, 2005, 9:06 am

Great extension! No problems yet. A feature that would be nice is options saving. Like being able to export to a .js file (or whatever) which things are checked or x'ed out. It'd make it easier for when new versions are released or for people that like to use nightly builds.

asqueella

Post Posted March 29th, 2005, 9:18 am

I use nightly builds myself, yet I don't need this (just backup your whole profile before installing a new nightly).

However, you don't need to save ME's settings -- just move menuedit.rdf from your profile wherever you need.

GrailKnight

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 1:17 am

You really have done a great job on this extension asqueella.

The latest version is working very well and my first update since January.
Well worth the wait.

Thanks
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes

asqueella

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 3:37 am

Glad you like it. :)

Currently known conflicts are that Menu Editor is unable to reliably work with "snapback tab/window" items of SessionSaver, and it makes FlashGot not populate its menus fully (Giorgio said he'll apply the fix I suggested in the next version of FlashGot).
For a few other extensions (Greasemonkey, Autohide) versions that work with ME are available for at http://mozilla.doslash.org/stuff/ , their authors are aware of the problem.

So if you notice something weird caused by Menu Editor, please let me know.

bhe2g1

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 3:54 am

Hey asqueella, related to what I posted the last time, the blank entry that showed up in Menu Editor appeared to control a seperator which was added to the bottom of the context menu. While the blank entry no longer appears in the customize window of Menu Editor 20050329 the seperator related to it does appear in the context menu. With the 20050329 version of ME the extra seperator appears after clicking the OK button in the customize window. With version 20050315+ of ME following the steps in my last post it can be seen that toggling the state of the blank entry controls a seperator showing at the bottom of the context menu.

Just so you know the Apply button thing from step 11 of my last post does as intended, meaning it stays greyed out.

I've got 3 more things to report about, I'll post those to bugzilla.

asqueella

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 4:48 am

bhe2g1, first of all, it would be nice if you tried to reset the customizations, as that "item" really messed things up. Menu Editor is supposed to deal with such things, but I'm not sure if the new version recovered the datasource from the problems introduced by that item.

I didn't notice the separator, my bad. I've fixed it now in 20050330, but you'll need to Reset All for it to work. If you feel brave, you can just find and delete all tags containing "http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#dictionarysearch_string_bundle" from menuedit.rdf.

The apply button wasn't disabled because there was an exception thrown when repopulating the datasource after a reset. Please set the prefs as said in the first post of this thread and check if the JS console has any menueditor-related messages. That usually makes it easier to see the problem even before trying to reproduce it.

Looking forward to reading your bug reports :)
Thanks for your help.

bhe2g1

Post Posted March 30th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Hi asqueella, no concern of what I mentioned affecting the profile I regularly use as the things I've reported (including what I last posted about) was done with a new and different profile and for that reason I don't think resetting the customizations would have made a difference. I tested before posting to make sure and resetting still left the seperator showing (With version 20050329 of ME). I also just tested version 20050330 and no seperator shows at the bottom of the context menu so nice quick work you made of that.

I didn't mean to be unclear in my last post about the thing with the Apply button, it behaves as it was meant to is what I meant so there is no problem there.

thorazine

Post Posted March 31st, 2005, 2:29 pm

Excellent work! No trace of separator troubles here, many extensions installed and I didnt see any problems so far, would you do without any bug reports for a while? ;-)

Old Makondo

Post Posted March 31st, 2005, 5:31 pm

Uhmm, i'm having a problem with Ook extension. I know it has not been updated and seems to be abandoned, still - i like it. However, the Bookmarks entry keeps disappearing in context menu. Usually, if i open ME and hide/show/apply Bookmarks once, it will reappear ... for a while. The javascript console has errors stating that Bookmarks doesn't return value sometimes. I guess, it's the BM extension problem not ME but do you think you may be able to offer any help? Thank you.

simulate030

Post Posted March 31st, 2005, 5:34 pm

Great extension... thanks for your work.

Btw, I get a lot of tab-related items in the menu-editor that never actually show in the context menu... what is that about?

asqueella

Post Posted April 1st, 2005, 1:04 am

makondo: I don't see any problems with Ook. Neither do I see that it's abandoned - clav's site says it's compatible with Firefox 1.0. So if it doesn't work with ME for you, I'd like to know the exact error messages you get and the simplest configuration required to reproduce the bug.

simulate030: it's probably some extension. You didn't even tell me what items there are, so I can't even make a guess.

Old Makondo

Post Posted April 1st, 2005, 2:23 am

I'm glad i was wrong (it's just that Ook hasn't been updated in a while and the word Firefox is crossed out).
Unfortunately (hm, did i say that?!) i don't get this errors any more. The problem however still persist: I placed Bookmarks entry in the bottom of the Main Context Menu (under Context-sep-bidi - have no idea what it means though :-)) - it's there w/in the ME Options but it doesn't show in the right click context menu. If i move it or simply hide and then show again, it will show in the context for a while and then disappear again - can't tell when and why though. Now i have moved it under sep.properties and it seems to be staying - don't know for how long.
I have the latest ME (330) and Ook 0.3.3 with FF 1.0.2 (use Brushed theme if it means anything but it does the same with Revolution in another profile).
It's not a big deal but kinda annoying at times as it makes the extension (Ook) almost unusable. I will report here if it will disappear again. Thanks for your time and great extension!

PS. I think that's the solution - it looks like i had it in the wrong place! Could it be?!

Return to Extension Development