MozillaZine

how to associate icon with window created from window.open()

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
ericjung

Post Posted May 3rd, 2006, 11:52 am

Thanks.

My chrome directory is named "content" and my window id is foxyproxyPreferences. If I navigate to chrome://foxyproxy/content/icons/default/foxyproxyPreferences.ico, the icon displays in the browser, so I know it's installed. Is there anything else I should try? It's not clear to me why this isn't working (even with a new profile).

Pike

Post Posted May 3rd, 2006, 12:12 pm

You don't put them in a chrome package, instead you put them in the exact path:

yourext.xpi/chrome/icons/default

ericjung

Post Posted May 3rd, 2006, 12:47 pm

hi pike.

You don't put them in a chrome package, instead you put them in the exact path:

yourext.xpi/chrome/icons/default

Can you confirm that I'm doing this correctly?

1. Installed XPI into new profile. Restarted firefox.
2. Opened newly-createdirectory: C:\Documents and Settings\Eric Jung\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ffsg953d.eraseme\extensions\foxyproxy@eric.h.jung
3. Created icons\default subdirectory
4. Copied foxyproxyPreferences.ico to C:\Documents and Settings\Eric Jung\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ffsg953d.eraseme\extensions\foxyproxy@eric.h.jung\icons\default
5. Restart firefox

Still no icon. I am feeling very thick-skulled today.

By the way, what if I want to use the same icon for multiple window IDs? I must have the file icon file with different names? That seems wasteful...

ericjung

Post Posted May 3rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

Nevermind, I understand now. It should go at the same level as the jar in the XPI. But what about my other question: what if I want to use the same icon for multiple window IDs? I must have the file icon file with different names?

Pike

Post Posted May 3rd, 2006, 2:02 pm

grimholtz wrote:But what about my other question: what if I want to use the same icon for multiple window IDs? I must have the file icon file with different names?

No idea, though I assume that the overhead would be optimised away when you compressed the XPI (so hopefully it wouldn't affect download size).

Return to Extension Development