best way to read/write XML?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
ericjung

Post by ericjung »

I wrote half of it -- the half concerning XPath -- here. The other half will discuss the most efficient means to read/write XML to/from DOM objects.

By the way, I really hate adding my code samples to the Dev/Extensions/Example Code section. I'd rather add them to the new Category/Example Code section, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I'm sort of a n00bie when it comes to wiki editing. Any advice? Ideally, I'd like to move that article and some others I've written (as well as the one I will write re: read/write DOM objects) to the Category/Example Code section.

Do you think it makes sense to write a class encapsulating all of this? A class which easily allows you to read XML into a DOM, write XML into a DOM, query a DOM using XPath or regex, transform a DOM into another DOM by applying an XSL template, etc... (more features as I think of them, using other XML apis...)

Edit: asqueella replied before I could hit "submit" !
Last edited by ericjung on March 9th, 2005, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

nah, you beat me to it :)

Category:Example code is not necessarily specific to extensions.
ericjung

Post by ericjung »

Other half is now here, although not 100% complete yet (it's getting late).
thebluffer

Post by thebluffer »

Hello,

When I tried to cretae the XpathEvaluator as :
var xpe = new XPathEvaluator();

I get the following error on Mozilla Thunderbird :
Erreur : [Exception... "Object cannot be created in this context" code: "9" nsresult: "0x80530009 (NS_ERROR_DOM_NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR)" location: "chrome://automailsorter/content/autoMailSorterUserFolder.js Line: 82"]
Fichier source : chrome://automailsorter/content/autoMailSorterUserFolder.js
Ligne : 82

I don't understand why...
ericjung

Post by ericjung »

Sorry I can't help; I haven't done any development for Thunderbird.
jasonwanadoo

Bad resolution!!!

Post by jasonwanadoo »

Hi grimholtz,

been trying the posted code, as is, with no fundamental changes and getting an error on the NSResolver method in the evaluate function (renamed to DSW_evaluate):

THE ERROR

Code: Select all

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIDOMXPathEvaluator.createNSResolver]"  nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://domainswitchwidget/content/domainswitchwidget.js :: DSW_evaluate :: line 61"  data: no]

THE CULPRIT

function DSW_ReloadXML()
{
var fileContents = readFile("environments.xml");
var results = DSW_evaluate(fileContents, "//dept/@name");
}

function DSW_evaluate(aXmlDoc, aXpath) {
  var xpe = new XPathEvaluator();
  var found = new Array();
  var result = xpe.evaluate(aXpath, aXmlDoc, xpe.createNSResolver(aXmlDoc.documentElement), 0, null);
  while (res = result.iterateNext())
    found.push(res);
  return found;
}

THE FILE

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<environments>
            <dept name="Perfume">
                        <box name="Desk 9" ip="192.168.0.32"/>
            </dept>
</environments>

I'm trying to write a toolbar widget that will switch the domain but retain the page name and I want to use an XML file to contain the different domains, but I am a n00b to AJAX and Firefox dev.

I am using Firefox 1.5.0.4 and it reads the file in OK as far as I can tell, but fails on the resolver.
Can anyone help?