Extensions broke 0.5/nightly

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Ari Rahikkala

Extensions broke 0.5/nightly

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Running Gentoo 1.4_rc1, built Phoenix with the ebuild at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=118005#118005 , compile was started somewhere around Monday morning. After installing a few extensions (mouse gestures, mouse rocker navigation, nuke image, preferential and text links), to Phoenix as root, trying to start it as a normal user gives this message:

*** Failed to load overlay chrome://preferential/content/preferential-phn-overlay.xul
*** Failed to load overlay chrome://mozgest/content/mozgestOverlay.xul

And ends up with a blank grey window - no toolbars or anything, only the title of my homepage. The files above don't exist on my system - "locate preferential-phn-overlay.xul" and "locate mozgestOverlay.xul" return no matches. I've tried reinstalling the extensions but not reinstalling Phoenix since building it takes several hours on my system. When run as root, Phoenix works fine.

Is there a simple documentation file somewhere deep down the dank halls of the Mozilla project that I have neglected to read that gives a simple answer for this, will I need to wait for updates to the extensions or the browser, or do I have to do hex-mode hand-hacking of an obscure file that most people didn't know even existed?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

They are probably in jar files, perhaps preferential.jar and mozgest.jar. They may not have the proper permissions since you did everything as root. Did you chmod?
Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Nope... so those files aren't even supposed to exist? Anyway, a chmod a+r at /usr/lib/phoenix/lib/mozilla-1.3a/chrome and /usr/lib/phoenix/lib/mozilla-1.3a/chrome/mozgest/content made things work again, so thanks for pointing me to the right direction...
CatamountJack

Post by CatamountJack »

I've had this problem before, off and on, when I was trying to install over old versions - basically I just uninstalled phoenix and then deleted my entire phoenix directory. Then I reinstalled it and then reinstalled all of my extensions and usually this works. Don't know if it made a diffference, but I was always using the installers found at http://seb.delahaye.net/phoenix/ (hence I "uninstalled").