The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
nabucco

Re: The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Post by nabucco »

zaril wrote: "Firegestures", "Mouse Gestures Suite", "All-in-One Gestures" - all of them are not replacing "Mouse Gestures (Redox)".
Of course, but no other thing
TheGlow

Post by TheGlow »

zaril wrote:
nabucco wrote:Well, I found Firegestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... egestures/) and works well.
"Firegestures", "Mouse Gestures Suite", "All-in-One Gestures" - all of them are not replacing "Mouse Gestures (Redox)".
Because all of them do NOT support diagonal gestures, just up/left/right/down. And they have no rocker gestures with customizable buttons so one could use the middle mouse button for rocker gestures.
So in conclusion: there is currently no Gesture addon available replacing all of the features that "Mouse Gestrues (redox)" had.
if you can adopt to other mouse gesture addons with less features you are very lucky.
It's a bit amazing that years later the others seem to overlook these options. I'll admit I don't use any with diagonals but defitely the middle rocker is something I haven't seen replicated smoothly.
I'll admit it is a bit weird for me that I use middle mouse, left click to scroll to previous tab with just 1 finger.
It's getting harder and harder to keep with this version. I may bite the bullet and just adapt.
Same problem I had with my ebook reader on android. Update removed majority of the features. I had to adapt and now use Google play Books.

Jeez, not even an hour in and already this is stressful. trying to use this hold right/left click rocker gesture and now when going to new pages it keeps the left click down so it highlights all the text following my mouse cursor around.
I'm still baffled how and old outdated extension still has better support and accuracy than the stuff out now.
Cibus

Post by Cibus »

Hey guys, I randomly found this thread when in despair of Mouse Gestures no longer working and then also found a solution to let you use "unverified" add-ons again, which made me make a quick account here and post it, in case anyone else feel like they lost a limb when using firefox.

This https://support.mozilla.org/sv/questions/1078339 question-thread in the mozilla support had a solution.

And basically what you do is change a config, so (just copy/pasting):

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste xpi and pause while the list is filtered

(3) If the xpinstall.signatures.required preference is bolded and user set to true, double-click it to switch it to false

Hopefully this'll work for a while to resurrect this addon from the dead.
zaril

Post by zaril »

Cibus wrote:Hey guys, I randomly found this thread when in despair of Mouse Gestures no longer working and then also found a solution to let you use "unverified" add-ons again, which made me make a quick account here and post it, in case anyone else feel like they lost a limb when using firefox.
This https://support.mozilla.org/sv/questions/1078339 question-thread in the mozilla support had a solution.
Hopefully this'll work for a while to resurrect this addon from the dead.
"Good Morning" Cibus ;)
We all are already very aware of this "solution" and we have it already applied since Firefox 43.
But we are looking here for a solution past Firefox 44, when signatures are enforced and xpinstall.signatures.required is removed from the options.
There are only a few more or less realistic options when Firefox 44 hit the ground:
1.) The Author of "Mouse Gestures (Redox)" ressurrects and updates the addon + signature (very unlikely)
2.) Somebody else signs the addon, so it is at least available as long as the WebExtension change hit the browser.
3.) Using the unbranded version of Firefox 44 and still having the xpinstall.signatures.required option. (unfortunately: unbranded version of FF is en-US language only. therefor it is a no-go as lasting solution
4.) Another Mouse Gesture Addon implements all the MG Redox features so we can all switch to another maintained addon.

None of these options is sufficient at the moment. I hope this will change until Firefox 44.

--

@TheGlow: totally agree.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

jeeze - 4711 dropped the towel long ago. he was also present in the german camp-firefox but some considered him as pretty weird in mind, really strange postings.
not sure but he dropped also support for his extension and this might 2 or 3 years ago, some of them died with firefox 4 and the rest after australis was introduced.

so there were enough time to get alternatives and AMO offers enough alternatives.
i use Firegestures, that can do rocker gestures and define some own gestures

and trust the people here "xpinstall.signatures.required" is NO solution, with v45 it will definitely die. extension for xul will die after firefox 48 with e10s is released.
zaril

Post by zaril »

Brummelchen wrote: so there were enough time to get alternatives and AMO offers enough alternatives.
i use Firegestures, that can do rocker gestures and define some own gestures
There is currently NO alternative available to "Mouse Gestures Redox".
"Firegestures", "All-in-One Gestures", "Mouse Gestures Suite" - ALL of them miss these core features from Mouse gestures Redox:
  • Support for diagonal gestures. not only: up, down, left, right.
  • Support for customizable rocker gestures with support of a middle mouse button. not just left+right mouse button.
I've been using these features since years, it's hard to get all my gestures under the hood of just up,down,left,right gestures.. same with the limited rocker gestures.
It's really a shame that this, since years outdated, mouse gesture addon has much more features than all those currently available. It's like the doomed course of Firefox: more superficial, more (chrome-like) clone, more useless. sad story so far.
Noitidart

Post by Noitidart »

zaril wrote:
nabucco wrote:Well, I found Firegestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... egestures/) and works well.
"Firegestures", "Mouse Gestures Suite", "All-in-One Gestures" - all of them are not replacing "Mouse Gestures (Redox)".
Because all of them do NOT support diagonal gestures, just up/left/right/down. And they have no rocker gestures with customizable buttons so one could use the middle mouse button for rocker gestures.
So in conclusion: there is currently no Gesture addon available replacing all of the features that "Mouse Gestrues (redox)" had.
if you can adopt to other mouse gesture addons with less features you are very lucky.
Agreed, there has never been anything as good as Mouse Gestures Redox. I'm trying to make one for just rocker gestures - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... secontrol/

Post by 4711 »

Signing/Reviewing is too complicated with binary components involved.
Sorry, but MGR is dead.

And another sorry: FX is dead as well. For years coded against the wall...
(too many examples)

Have a nice day... :(
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

The reason why the current gestures extensions aren't adopting the 'missing' features is that an extension like this is a lot of work. I was also a MG Redox user and liked it a lot but when it turned out not to be developed any longer and thus having more and more problems with compatibility I decided to revive All-in-One Gestures and get it to work in the current browser - that's how Mouse Gestures Suite appeared. I have added a few more features I felt were missing and that's it. Currently, I don't have much time for development so this extension is mainly in a bugfix/maintenance mode.

I also relied on diagonal gestures but had to do without them - now I changed my habits and I like straight gestures more because they don't need so much precision as diagonals and I make fewer gesture mistakes.

When Firefox removes XUL then none of the current (major) gesture extensions will work any longer unless a serious rewrite is made. And I highly doubt that WebExtensions will allow for even 50% of the features the current gesture extensions have. So I predict in about a year's time we will end up with a few very bare-bones and minimalistic mouse gestures extensions for Firefox since writing anything of the complexity of MG Redox, MG Suite or FireGestures will require a very enthusiastic developer who has time and willingness. From my perspective Mozilla with its changes and plans is taking away any fun from developing for their platform - so I wouldn't count on anyone to want to write a full-featured mouse gestures extension for Firefox next year. But maybe someone will be able to port one from Chrome? #-o

We will need to adapt and cope with what we have.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Noitidart

Post by Noitidart »

Lemon Juice wrote:But maybe someone will be able to port one from Chrome? #-o
I dread that thought :(

I (staunchly) only use made-for-Firefox only addons

But they promised SDK addons will still work, SDK addons are bootstrapped based. So I'm sure bootstrapped addons will work. That's why I continue developement, but I do practically all my work in ChromeWorkers, with as little XPCOM as possible.
zaril

Post by zaril »

4711 wrote:Signing/Reviewing is too complicated with binary components involved.
Sorry, but MGR is dead.

(too many examples)

@4711:
Glad you found back to this thread. This are sad news, though. But I was already expecting this kind of answer. I don't know all of the background for your reasons to stop it, but I want to thank you for making this awesome addon possible in the past. it was the best of it's kind and a peak in firefox addon development. The value of this addon just becomes clearer as the end of Firefox/XUL is on the horizon.
zaril

Post by zaril »

Lemon Juice wrote:The reason why the current gestures extensions aren't adopting the 'missing' features is that an extension like this is a lot of work. I was also a MG Redox user and liked it a lot but when it turned out not to be developed any longer and thus having more and more problems with compatibility I decided to revive All-in-One Gestures and get it to work in the current browser - that's how Mouse Gestures Suite appeared. I have added a few more features I felt were missing and that's it. Currently, I don't have much time for development so this extension is mainly in a bugfix/maintenance mode.

I also relied on diagonal gestures but had to do without them - now I changed my habits and I like straight gestures more because they don't need so much precision as diagonals and I make fewer gesture mistakes.

When Firefox removes XUL then none of the current (major) gesture extensions will work any longer unless a serious rewrite is made. And I highly doubt that WebExtensions will allow for even 50% of the features the current gesture extensions have. So I predict in about a year's time we will end up with a few very bare-bones and minimalistic mouse gestures extensions for Firefox since writing anything of the complexity of MG Redox, MG Suite or FireGestures will require a very enthusiastic developer who has time and willingness. From my perspective Mozilla with its changes and plans is taking away any fun from developing for their platform - so I wouldn't count on anyone to want to write a full-featured mouse gestures extension for Firefox next year. But maybe someone will be able to port one from Chrome? #-o

We will need to adapt and cope with what we have.
@Lemon Juice:
I know.. you've done great work with "Mouse Gestures Suite".
If i were in your position I also wouldn't invest much more time in this addon as necessary. At least as long as the future of firefox/addons is pretty much unclear.

I also try to adopt to non diagonal gestures at the moment. but nevertheless it is a big step backwards. the possibilities shrink with every feature that's been taken away from the old addon.

You say it. When Firefox removes XUL and it hits the public in ~August 2016, it will be the death of Firefox (or even Mozilla as a whole). I fully understand the misery of every addon-dev who invested time in coding very distinctive firefox addons in the past.

I don't think that this many people, who lose their beloved firefox soon, will adapt and cope with what they have - a chrome-like clone firefox, shallow and useless.
Slightly offtopic I would rather ask, which alternative will we have in August 2016? Which new browser will arise from the ashes of Firefox/Mozilla? Which new browser will be the one addon-devs would love to code for? It'll be for sure not another shallow WebExtension chrome like clone...
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

webextension have same base, but are compiled different, omg is it too much expected? servo is not blink
marty60

Post by marty60 »

4711 wrote:Signing/Reviewing is too complicated with binary components involved.
Sorry, but MGR is dead.

(too many examples)

Thanks for your work on Autohide too, it was one of the best addons I ever used. Sorry to see it go but understandable given the state of Firefox.

Post by 4711 »

It wasn't that bad.