The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Macu

Re: The death of Mouse Gestures (Redox)

Post by Macu »

Ahaggar wrote:Only registered to this forum to keep the "Zombie" alive ;-)

I found a solution to skip the signature problems with Firefox versions greater than 48. It worked for me, hope it works for you too:

Open the installation folder of Firefox. Go to "defaults\pref" and create a file named "config-prefs.js" with the following content.

Code: Select all

pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");
Save and go back to the main Firefox installation folder (where "Firefox.exe" is placed):
Create a file named "config.js" with the following content:

Code: Select all

//
    try {
      Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm", {})
        .eval("SIGNED_TYPES.clear()");
    }
    catch(ex) {} 
Just copy the text exactly like above. Then you need to reinstall the xpi file (deinstall mouse gestures redox and then install the xpi file again).

I didn't see in the rules that link posting is not allowed, so I added here the german source:
http://fehler40.blogspot.de/2016/08/fir ... nicht.html
Yeah, the fix is working. You're a legend, thanks a lot! :)
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

I was unable to use wheel gestures (like right click + scroll up/down to switch to previous/next tab) over tabbar. Fixed it replacing the two "DOMMouseScroll" by "wheel" in mozgestOverlay.js. It is also required to replace "e.detail" by "e.deltaY" in the same file.
Herchi

Post by Herchi »

Mouse Gestures (Redox) for FF 55? :(
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

whats wrong with "Mouse Gesture Redox is now officially dead."?
its not available - anywhere. and if - it is buggy and not functional.
jeez - please dont consider firefox as a static product and extension working for ever.
Herchi

Post by Herchi »

Brummelchen wrote:whats wrong with "Mouse Gesture Redox is now officially dead."?
its not available - anywhere. and if - it is buggy and not functional.
jeez - please dont consider firefox as a static product and extension working for ever.
I've been looking for an alternative to "Mouse Gestures Redox". This was the best mouse gestures addon for a very long time. Unfortunately the author declared the addon dead in 2012.

The addon still works perfectly in Firefox 43, but it doesn't have a signature, so it will break in Firefox 44 and enforced signatures.

Currently there are NO alternatives available which supports the same features as this addon. Most important are:

Support for diagonal gestures. not only: up, down, left, right.
Support for customizable rocker gestures with support of a middle mouse button. not just left+right mouse button.

Current alternatives like "Mouse Gestures Suite" or "Firegestures" or "All-in-One Gestures" do not support any of those required features.

Is there any solution to this problem I'm not aware of yet?

I find a solution: http://www.largrizzly.net/firefox.html#55+
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

As of Firefox 57 all the mouse gestures extensions that we've known, including Redox, will stop working with no workarounds to enable them. You can search for mouse gestures tagged as "Compatible with Firefox 57+" to see what kind of mouse gestures we can expect soon in Firefox - only very basic features due to limits of WebExtensions. For basic mouse gestures Vivaldi browser is very good with built-in gestures, no need for Firefox any longer.

For now, a solution might be to switch to Waterfox, which is supposed to retain XUL extensions support - I don't know for how long but the author's goals are noble. I don't know if Redox works there but Mouse Gestures Suite and FireGestures certainly do.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I find a solution:
the common **** for using unsigned extensions. this makes firefox vulnerable again to inserted adware from 3rd-party. one reason for mozilla for signing. and trust me, there is a lot of crap adware on its run to find profiles like yours.

i think there is one WE coming with rocker - (i dont use rocker, i never got the idea behind but thats not the point here)
i know 4711 a bit longer, german speaking fellow, was upset about mozilla and some more. he ever hosted extension on his own server.
signing at least was no problem and i am sure there exist a signed version somewhere in camp-firefox.de