Modded Extensions for SeaMonkey

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
tonymec

Re: Modded Extensions for SeaMonkey

Post by tonymec »

xed wrote:
therube wrote:Yes, DrW 3.2.3, FF22.
Install, right-click a link to an exe (I used http://www.7-zip.org/), 'Check with Dr. Web', its window opens & says CLEAN.
Click 'Close' button for its window & a new browser window opens.

Ah, extension conflict... NoScript.
If NoScript is installed, behavior noted ensues.

Then in that case, 3.2.3 will work just as will in SeaMonkey.
All that is needed is a SeaMonkey section in install.rdf.

Code: Select all

<!-- SeaMonkey -->
   <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>2.22</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
   </em:targetApplication>

Copy that code into install.rdf.
You can put it just below the entry for FF.

With that, it will install & run in SeaMonkey.
(Not sure what the licensing is, otherwise I'd post it.)

NoScript Conflict with Dr. Web LinkChecker

The link you provided to the NoScript forum explains why I wasn't seeing the behavior. I had added that site to exceptions a long time ago when the close button wouldn't close the small window.

If I'm not too inept. I'll put that into install.rdf and install the extension in SeaMonkey. I assume the file doesn't exist, right?

Never mind, I'll figure it out when I open up the file.

And thanks a lot for providing that info!

[added]

Hmm, got it installed, but I'm not getting the pop up window. I've evidently got a conflict with another extension.

[second edit]

Heh, not only that, it's knocked out all my status bar icons except for adblock plus too!

I gotta check this out...

install.rdf does exist; it is a file inside every .xpi add-on. An .xpi is a .zip with a different suffix; if your zip/unzip programs don't recognize .zip as un archive, then use "rename - unzip - edit - rezip - rename".
Best regards,
Tony
xed

Post by xed »

tonymec wrote:install.rdf does exist; it is a file inside every .xpi add-on. An .xpi is a .zip with a different suffix; if your zip/unzip programs don't recognize .zip as un archive, then use "rename - unzip - edit - rezip - rename".

Yes, thanks, I found that out. I was thinking of a different file, I think one an older version of SeaMonkey needed. Can't think of the name right now though.

Still haven't figured out why the new version of Dr. Web Linkchecker kills my status bar icons. I went back to the old version for now. Entering online.drweb.com into NoScript's whitelist fixed the problem with the close button not closing the little Dr. Web window (already had that done in Firefox). I kind of would like to use the new version though, what with all the new features, but I figure I have a lot of those features duplicated in other extensions anyway.

I had to quit using the WOT extension for the same reason, knocked out all my status bar icons except for Adblock Plus. But I started using DuckDuckGo as my search engine and it has WOT ratings already in the search results.
"Doin' right ain't got no end." Cap'n Red Legs
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

xed wrote:
tonymec wrote:install.rdf does exist; it is a file inside every .xpi add-on. An .xpi is a .zip with a different suffix; if your zip/unzip programs don't recognize .zip as un archive, then use "rename - unzip - edit - rezip - rename".

Yes, thanks, I found that out. I was thinking of a different file, I think one an older version of SeaMonkey needed. Can't think of the name right now though.

The old Mozilla Suite and it's successors, SeaMonkey 1.0 and SeaMonkey 1.1, used a install.js file.

From v2.0 onwards, we switched to use the same addon/extension code as Firefox and Thunderbird.

Phil
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

The flashblock versions at AMO (authored by Philip Chee) seem to be out of date.
The versions at Mozdev (from the above signature) are:
  • 1.5.17 for Firefox 4.0 to (current) and nothing else;
  • 1.3.20 for Firefox 4.0+ and SeaMonkey 2.0 to 2.18a (sic);
  • 1.3.unstable for Firefox 4.0+ and SeaMonkey 2.0 to 2.19a (sic).
Now a recent decision of the Core developers is that the about:config preference plugins.click_to_play now means that by clicking one plugin placeholder in a page, all instances of the same plugin on the same domain are immediately whitelisted (see for instance bug 738698, bug 886792 and bug 902650). This is unacceptable to me so in the face of the adamantness of those Firefox blockheads I'm looking for an alternative solution. What should I use with SeaMonkey 2.23a1?
Best regards,
Tony
xed

Post by xed »

tonymec wrote:This is unacceptable to me so in the face of the adamantness of those Firefox blockheads I'm looking for an alternative solution. What should I use with SeaMonkey 2.23a1?

All I can suggest is NoScript. If you don't whitelist a site with it, you have to click on each instance of flash to get a prompt on whether or not to allow it to run.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

This one is a must-have... didn't realize that SM have followed the idiocy of Firefox in removing the keyword.URL behavior until today. Just needs a compatibility hack in install.rdf:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rd-search/

Note: in the new version, if you go to the Addons page, click Options for Keyword Search, you can choose from an installed search engine AND it now offers options for Google and Duck Duck Go, I'm Feeling Lucky, Browse By Name, and I'm Feeling Ducky.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

patrickjdempsey wrote:This one is a must-have... didn't realize that SM have followed the idiocy of Firefox in removing the keyword.URL behavior until today. Just needs a compatibility hack in install.rdf:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rd-search/

Note: in the new version, if you go to the Addons page, click Options for Keyword Search, you can choose from an installed search engine AND it now offers options for Google and Duck Duck Go, I'm Feeling Lucky, Browse By Name, and I'm Feeling Ducky.

There are plenty of other engines you can install, either from the AMO site or from the Mycroft project pages, plus the sites which offer you one or two engines for searching their own pages. You can also drag the Search Bar onto one of your toolbars (next to your URL bar, maybe), so you can change search engines "on the fly". I have so many search engines that my search tools menu (part of the Search Bar) expands to maybe three or four times the height of my screen, I may have to scroll it in order to get at the one I want to use.
Best regards,
Tony
patrickjdempsey

This extension just restores the ability to have separate searchbar and urlbar search. If you are using SeaMonkey without the searchbar it's not very useful.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

patrickjdempsey wrote:This one is a must-have... didn't realize that SM have followed the idiocy of Firefox in removing the keyword.URL behavior until today.

The keyword.URL code is (was) somewhere deep in Core (shared code). Since the Firefox developers ripped out the backend code, keyword.URL doesn't work for anything not just Firefox and SeaMonkey.

This is a clever workaround. Very nice! It does change the affiliate links to his own company so any revenue from keyword searches (Using DDG) goes to Mike and not Mozilla.

Mike Kaply is usually quite happy to support SeaMonkey. Sending him a polite email should work.

Phil
patrickjdempsey

Unfortunately, the latest update seems to have a bug where it just randomly doesn't work. Even had it randomly reset my settings. Hopefully Kaply will get it fixed!
lazybones88

Post by lazybones88 »

Can the latest AttachmentExtractor 1.3.5 for Thunderbird be ported so it will work in Seamonkey 2.2.1 and later. I have the 1.2.2 version installed but it does not extract. I always used it to to move photo attachments to the HD.
therube

Post by therube »

Philip's, Attachment Extractor
Per AMO, AttachmentExtractor "1.3.5.1 doesn't really fully work with Thunderbird 5-8 - there are a number of errors thrown and its probable that some functions won't work".
And then there is a note that he's working on a 1.4 version, beta...

1.3.5.1 will install, it's Options open, with the simple addition of <!-- SeaMonkey --> section in install.rdf.
Whether it actually does anything, can't say?

There must have been a similar request, perhaps around Nov. 2011, maybe you can find that thread?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
xed

Post by xed »

The make link extension no longer works on my XP system:

http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#makelink

If someone could take a look and see if it works on theirs I would appreciate it; and if possible get it working again (if it's not just me).

Thanks.
therube

Post by therube »

No longer works in what way?
When did it stop?

Installs if you update the version info in install.rdf.
Context menu & options are there.

Though it does not actually accomplish anything.

Error Console says:

Error: TypeError: netscape.security.PrivilegeManager is undefined
Source File: chrome://makelink/content/link_maker.js
Line: 159

netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege('UniversalXPConnect');

Got me on that?

Have you tried, Copy URL+?
I use that all the time.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
xed

Post by xed »

therube wrote:Error Console says:

Error: TypeError: netscape.security.PrivilegeManager is undefined
Source File: chrome://makelink/content/link_maker.js
Line: 159

netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege('UniversalXPConnect');

Got me on that?

Actually I don't understand it at all, but then I'm a feeble old man who's lucky to accomplish anything on a computer.

I appreciate the link to the copy url etc. extension, but it doesn't do what I want. I'll just do it the "hard way".