Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
clav

Post by clav »

talou wrote:Ok you can use a little bash shell under cygwin, if you want to build a well-formatted package...

good idea. i have cygwin already, but it never occurred to me to use it.
clav

Post by clav »

0.6 is done. available from http://downloads.mozdev.org/clav/toolba ... ext0.6.xpi in 45mins

it includes two new buttons:

- Clear Cache
- Page Cookies.

the Page Cookies button lists all the cookies use by the current page (and pages in frames on the current page) sorted by domain, and allowing you to easily remove them. also gives you access to the cookie prefs. there's some screenshots here

I might spin this off into a seperate extension, since it requires rather a lot of code. Depends how many people like it...
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

clav I think the cookie button is a WONDERFUL idea. I pitched an idea almost exactly like that to Pike when he released popup counter. I personally would like to see it as an individual extension. I was thinking it could be similar to popup counter (shows a "cookies" icon in the statusbar area when a site sets/changes/ect a cookie and clicking on that would invoke the extensions options). I had also suggested some kind of log (IE, history of all the cookies set or changed since the browser was opened) that way a use could go back through all the cookies that have been set and manage them, ect. Not sure exactly how you've got all this implemented since I haven't gotten 0.6 installed yet, but I definetely think it's a great idea and can't wait to try it out. My idea was also for it to open a small window too, might be easier than having it be entirely menu driven.
flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit »

clav, this just gets better and better with every build.
flatrabbit
-- A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
‡ [ home | give | game ] ‡
clav

Post by clav »

Paradox52525 wrote:I was thinking it could be similar to popup counter (shows a "cookies" icon in the statusbar area when a site sets/changes/ect a cookie and clicking on that would invoke the extensions options).

i was considering that, but i've yet to find any xpcom interfaces to get the required info. I think cookie notifications are sent via the observer service (see nsIObserver and nsIObserverService), but I've not looked into it enough yet

Not sure exactly how you've got all this implemented since I haven't gotten 0.6 installed yet,

it loops through window._content and all it's subframes and gets the host/domain of each page. it then retrieves all the cookies (using nsICookieManager.enumerator), and filters them for those from hosts which would be available to a host one fo the current pages is from. (e.g. doubleclick.net cookies are available to ad.doubleclick.net) and then it shows a submenu for each different domain there are relevant cookies from.

it might be very slow if you have hundreds of cookies, but there isn't a way to get cookies for a specific domain that i've found

My idea was also for it to open a small window too, might be easier than having it be entirely menu driven.

menus work very well when only showing cookies for the current page. with a cookie history as you suggested above a window might work better

btw, there's a small bug with the tooltips for the page-cookies button: the text gets clipped at the right because there's a max-width set for all tooltip elements. i tried overriding it for the specific tooltip, but it didn't work
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

I'm all for the seperate cookie extensions. Also, remember to change the version in the thread title to 0.6. :-)
clav

Post by clav »

ok, Page Cookies button will become a seperate extension (3 votes in favour, none against). i think i'll call it Cookie Jar :)

would anyone like to see Toolbarext for Thunderbird ? and if so, what buttons should it add, and which should it enhance? I think context menus on Forward (Inline, As Attachment), Get Msgs (list each account), Next (same as Go > Next), Prev and Print (like the dropdown) could be useful.
James

Post by James »

I'm for the seperate cookies button extension too.

*chomps on some cookies*

I read in another thread you were thinking of adding a combined reload/stop button to the toolbar. Does that mean that it will be a seperate button or it will modify and combine the current reload + stop buttons so the theme a user is using is not clashing with the new button, if that is possible without bugs.
clav

Post by clav »

James wrote:I read in another thread you were thinking of adding a combined reload/stop button to the toolbar. Does that mean that it will be a seperate button or it will modify and combine the current reload + stop buttons so the theme a user is using is not clashing with the new button, if that is possible without bugs.

it will be a new button, and the Qute icons will have to be duplicated within the toolbarext jar. reliably picking up the theme for an existing button is not possible, because theming is all based around ids rather than classes :(
ehume

Post by ehume »

flatrabbit wrote:clav, this just gets better and better with every build.
!
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
talou

Post by talou »

clav wrote:
talou wrote:Ok you can use a little bash shell under cygwin, if you want to build a well-formatted package...

good idea. i have cygwin already, but it never occurred to me to use it.

sorry, but, that wasn't a good idea : same problem... I'll try to repackage your extension under linux...
wait & see
EditCSS & wpe extensions http://editcss.mozdev.org/
jid:talou AT timot.net
clav

Post by clav »

talou has kindly provided this repackaged version of 0.6, which should have the correct file permissions on linux:

http://downloads.mozdev.org/clav/toolba ... xt0.6l.xpi

the mirrors don't seem to be working well today though, so try this link instead:

http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/cl ... xt0.6l.xpi
frease

Post by frease »

It is a nice extension but it does not work properly on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20030928 Firebird/0.7+.

The buttons don't seem to work and the startup time slows down quite a bit. It would freeze for at least 8secs before the browser loads and then freeze for a few secs again.

EDIT: It works fine now.. Don't know why it can't before this. Great Extension! :)

EDIT2: Using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20031012 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim)

It seems to conflict with latest TBE. If both are enabled, alt+t+c would only show a tiny window with nothing in it. After I close it, all the menu items cannot be accessed, unless with a restart of the browser.

If TBE is disabled, I am able to do the alt+t+c and everything is fine. After customizing, I enable TBE and everything is fine. So everytime I have to access customize, I would have to disable TBE first.

Nonetheless, great extension!
Last edited by frease on October 12th, 2003, 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I am using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20030928 Firebird/0.7+ and the following buttons work on my leftbar: New Tab, Add Bookmark, Save Page, Print . . . , Enlarge Font, Shrink font, History Sidebar, Options, View Source, Page Info, manage Bookmarks, Cookies, Clear Cache (it does clear the cache; I checked) and Full Screen.

One thing I have noticed. When I leave the window open on the Cache directory, Clear Cache deletes the directory. Closing and restarting the browser does bring it backi, however.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

well done Clav!
The cookie extension is an excellent idea and will be very useful!

Implementation-wise, my suggestion would be to have the extension creating a new tab in the 'page info' window.
"Live HTTP headers" uses this method (along with a separate window) and I think it is a good idea to have all the information related to the page at the same place.
As a complement, may be you could keep the menu system you used in toolbarext 0.6 but move it to be an option of the 'tools' drop-down menu..

My two-pence worth...
L