Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
clav

Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Post by clav »

Toolbar Enhancements 0.15, for Firefox 0.9

screenshots

- Adds buttons for Zoom In/Out, JS Console, Clear Cache, Page Source, Page Info, Add Bookmark, Manage Bookmarks, Save Page, Options, Toggle Fullscreen, and a combined Stop/Reload button. Buttons can be middle clicked where that makes any sense (JS Console, page source etc)

- adds per-tab preference toggles for Images, Javascript, meta-redirects and Plugins

- Makes the 2 sidebar toggles middle-clickable to open their sidebar in a new tab.

- Downloads buttons can be middle clicked to open the window in a tab instead

- Allows for toolbars on the left, right or bottom of the window, and below the tab bar. just right click on a toolbar while in customise mode and the select where you would like the toolbar to be moved to. (does not apply to the menu bar, Navigation Toolbar or Bookmarks Toolbar)

- allows you to add toolbar items to each end of the tab bar (most likely use is to put the New Tab button on the left end), and to each end of the status bar

- allows each toolbar to have its icon size, its mode (icons only, text only, both), and whether it shows in full screen mode configured independently, via the context menu when in customisation mode.

Issues to be resolved in later versions:

- Bookmark Toolbar Items (unsurprisingly) screws up if put in a toolbar at the left or right. I'll try to make it lay out vertically, with a maximum width, in a future version
- bookmarks toolbar behaves oddly if placed on the tab bar

other stuff i might add:

- more toolbar items from PrefButtons
- dragging of whole toolbars from one toolbox to another, or onto the customisation palette to delete it
- autohiding toolbars.
- make all statusbar items available as toolbar items so you can place them where you want and turn off the statusbar.
- a User Agent spoofer.

[edit] updated for 0.15
Last edited by clav on July 9th, 2004, 4:34 am, edited 17 times in total.
David James

Post by David James »

Let the countdown begin - for someone to ask that themes (in my case Pinball) skin this extension...
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
clav

Post by clav »

the vertical toolbars stuff should require little if any work. just sorting out some css for spacers and separators, and maybe look at the toolbox borders

the hordes of extra buttons are of course every themer's nightmare :)

<del>yet another thing for me to do for Px Classic...</del>
Last edited by clav on February 19th, 2004, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

This is very good I have to say and a great improvement.
Two things however:

- When you View>toolbars and untick a scrollbar created with the extension, then close firebird, at the next restart the extension is shown. ie: firebird doesn't remember that the toolbar has been hidden between 2 sessions.

- The rendering space of the page is not automatically modified to take into account the size of the toolbar. Therefore if you are in 800 by 600 and add a side toolbar, the rendering space for the page is smaller as the toolbar takes some of that space..
I am not sure how easy it is to solve but it is probably possible. When you have only one tab open and the tab toolbar is not visible, note how the rendering space remains the same when you open another tab. Basically, the window size increases to accomodate the new toolbar...

Just some thoughts. Nonetheless, an excellent extension! Thanks
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Stop making new extensions! Go finish ExtensionManager!
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
clav

Post by clav »

Laurentbon wrote:- When you View>toolbars and untick a scrollbar created with the extension, then close firebird, at the next restart the extension is shown. ie: firebird doesn't remember that the toolbar has been hidden between 2 sessions.

true, and annoying, and i'll fix it.

note that Fb as standard does not remember the state of extra toolbars

- The rendering space of the page is not automatically modified to take into account the size of the toolbar. Therefore if you are in 800 by 600 and add a side toolbar, the rendering space for the page is smaller as the toolbar takes some of that space..

i could make it resize the window, but I think that would look very strange, so I'm not likely to do it.

I am not sure how easy it is to solve but it is probably possible. When you have only one tab open and the tab toolbar is not visible, note how the rendering space remains the same when you open another tab. Basically, the window size increases to accomodate the new toolbar...

i don't understand what you mean by that. when I switch from tabs hidden to two tabs the window does not resize, so the rendering space decreases.
clav

Post by clav »

alanjstr wrote:Stop making new extensions! Go finish ExtensionManager!

:p

extension manager isn't fun to write. this is
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

I think allowing toolbars to be placed in different places it very cool.
Although it needs a horozontal seporator.

And the Bookmark manager button keeps giving me two managers when I click it.
clav

Post by clav »

bdeonline wrote:I think allowing toolbars to be placed in different places it very cool.
Although it needs a horozontal seporator.

sure. i'll be adding one for 0.2

And the Bookmark manager button keeps giving me two managers when I click it.

d'oh. that was working properly a couple of days ago.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

clav wrote:
alanjstr wrote:Stop making new extensions! Go finish ExtensionManager!

:p

extension manager isn't fun to write. this is

Suck it up, Extension-Boy.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

clav wrote:

i don't understand what you mean by that. when I switch from tabs hidden to two tabs the window does not resize, so the rendering space decreases.

Absolutly right. It doesn't resize the window and I am wrong... It really should though as the standard is to design webpages for resolution of 800 by 600 and it seems logical that the true size of the rendering space remains 800 by 600. For example, when you resize the window using the 'Web developer' extension..
L
clav

Post by clav »

i've sorted out separators for vertical toolbars :)
(not doing another release just yet though)

Laurentbon wrote:Absolutly right. It doesn't resize the window and I am wrong... It really should though as the standard is to design webpages for resolution of 800 by 600 and it seems logical that the true size of the rendering space remains 800 by 600. For example, when you resize the window using the 'Web developer' extension..

designing for 800*600 is evil. authors who do so should expect problems

and webdeveloper should be setting the width of the page, not the browser window, by doing something like:
<code>window._content.innerWidth = 800;</code>

if it isn't then i would count that as a bug in that extension.
chrispederick

Post by chrispederick »

I agree that authors shouldn't build web sites purely for 800x600 resolutions, but when they do it is because the computer screen has a resolution of 800x600 not the browser viewing window.

This is why the Web Developer extension resizes the browser window rather than the content area to 800x600. And because of this, I don't think clav's extension should work any differently.

Cheers,
Chris
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

I understand both your points of view, however, if I decide to use firebird as a browser to try webpages that I or other people developed at this resolution (whether it is right or not), it seems indispensable for me to keep the rendering space at that display whatever toolbars I decide to add to the UI.
Just my thoughts.. I still find the extension great, don't get me wrong!
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Thanks clav. 8)