Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
walkthesky

Post by walkthesky »

clav, had to give you big props for the new work; haven't had a chance to read this whole thread to find out what's happened, but looking forward to seeing what's new.

i saw some changes you made, and actually just wanted to comment on why i'd vote to have the cache and cookie buttons: I do use the web dev toolbar, but only when at work and sparingly (it's hidden otherwise). the cache and cookie buttons you had were nice to be able to use 'on their own', especially because i run firefox off of a usb drive and need to clear cache as i exit. and the cookies button was awesome since i could clear for the current site, or see thru the menu what ones were set. quick and easy access...

oh, yeah, and i definitely vote for 'themes' and 'extensions' buttons as well if possible...

but i know the icon creation is a pain, etc., so it's not the end of the world....thanx again
Well... I... I told Bill that if Sandra's going to listen to her headphones while she's filing, then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating.
slang123

Post by slang123 »

Excelent extension, a must have imo. I second the 'themes' and 'extensions' button. I would use them alot, plus you can steal the icons straight from the winstipe theme :)
flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit »

I'd throw my vote in for "Themes" & "Extensions" buttons too, I don't see why these weren't included in the 0.9 release anyways(or at least kb shortcuts)
flatrabbit
-- A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
‡ [ home | give | game ] ‡
ehume

Post by ehume »

clav wrote:
ehume wrote:Um, so clav--just which button shall we use to clear our caches?

Well there's one in Tools > Options > Privacy. If you would like the toolbar button back how about:
a) asking nicely
b) explaining why it is useful. The only use I can see is for web developers, and I thought they would be better suited by the Web Developer extension or something like that (though I've never used it). I may be wrong though.

a) Please. Oh please please please keep the Clear Cache button.

b) It is useful because Firefox is a descendant of Netscape. All Netscape-derived browers sometimes get bollixed up--at least in Windows systems. This happens in Mozilla and Firefox. Sometimes it is only one website that won't display. Sometimes a website won't update. Sometimes the browser behaves in very strange ways. And it seems there is nothing for it but to uninstall and reinstall the app (if this seems strange to you, just recall that there was a time when it was easier to reinstall Windows than to debug it).

But all of these problems go away when you clear the cache.

Sometimes I don't trust that I am getting a refreshed website. So I clear the cache. And I do this when I am browsing, not 'developing'.

So, please please please keep it in tbx.
In particular, Arvid's icons go beautifully with SphereGnome, which is the theme I use.

They're not Arvid's icons. They're icons I created from Arvid's ones, without permission, back when I was under the impression that Qute was MPL'd. I don't believe I can legally distribute those, and I certainly can't include them in an extension hosted on mozdev, unless Arvid releases Qute under some kind of Open Source licence.

Yours are beautiful icons. if they are based on the look and feel of Arvid's work without being directly copied from Arvid's work, there is probably not a permission problem. However, since you like to be polite, you could simply ask Arvid''s permission to redistribute them. I would hope that if you asked Arvid's permission to redistribute them, he would grant that permission. From reading his posts, I got the impression that he is not averse to permissioned distribution.

In Arvid's original Firebird/Firefox default there are button icons featuring a lowercase red a with plus, minus and filled circle for text zoom in, out and rest, respectively.

Those aren't part of Arvid's theme; they were part of the extension.

My point was that you have solved the problem you raised: how to depict a reset button. Yours was just fine. At any rate, I liked it and understood immediately what it was for.

[Edit]Count mine as another vote for Themes and Extension buttons.[/edit]
[Edit]I don't know if you intended this, but using tbx 0.14 in the Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040617 Firefox/0.9.0+ build, there appears to be no Add Bookmark button. This is a button I use a lot.

Also, I notice that there is no way to tell a new toolbar where to display itself, and no way to tell it to display icon size independently of the rest of the browser. Since i use a toolbar on the left of the screen with small buttons, I noticed this right away.[/edit]
Sen

Post by Sen »

My Stop/Reload button icons have changed to random icons (cut icon and another). Icon corruption used to happen occasionally for me in 0.8 when a certain extension might have conflicted with another.
I`ve deleted my profile and reinstalled the 30 or so extensions i commonly use and the problem reaapeared.

I`m using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040618 Firefox/0.9 (MOOX-AV) and all the extensions installed are from update.mozilla.org or myextensionsmirror.nl and supposedly 0.9 compatible.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems or knows of a fix/workaround before i begin the arduous task of installing the extensions one by one to see where it breaks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050405 Firefox/1.0+ (BlueFyre)
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Clav: Could you please update TBX to include the new Stop/Reload buttons from Winstripe 2.0 as seen in Firefox 0.9.1? I haven't updated to the latest TBX because I don't like the buttons it comes with, but Winstripe 2.0 is a great improvement. I still don't like the "Save Page As..." button, but I can stomache that one icon.
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

In the meantime, you can put this in your userChrome:

Code: Select all

/* TBX Stop-Reload button */
#tbx-stopreload-button {
   list-style-image: url(chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar.png) !important;
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 96px, 24px, 72px) !important;
}

toolbar[iconsize=small] #tbx-stopreload-button {
   list-style-image: url(chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar-small.png) !important;
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 64px, 16px, 48px) !important;
}

#tbx-stopreload-button[state=stop] {
   list-style-image: url(chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar.png) !important;
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 72px, 24px, 48px) !important;
}

toolbar[iconsize=small] #tbx-stopreload-button[state=stop] {
   list-style-image: url(chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar-small.png) !important;
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 48px, 16px, 32px) !important;

You may want to muck around with the padding a bit. To my eyes the Winstripe Stop and Reload buttons look out of alignment by default, but that may just be me.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
clav

Post by clav »

(I meant to post this a few days ago, but the forums went down while I was typing it.)

ehume wrote:a) Please. Oh please please please keep the Clear Cache button.

Very well. I'll restore it, and the Zoom Reset button, in tbx 0.15.

Yours are beautiful icons. if they are based on the look and feel of Arvid's work without being directly copied from Arvid's work,

They're the result of loading the Qute icons in Paint Shop Pro and fiddling for a while. The font size button icons in particular were based on the icon that was used for the "Fonts and Colors" panel in Options... that Firefox used to have.

Count mine as another vote for Themes and Extension buttons.

Another extension appears to have been made for this now, so I think I'll leave them out.

I don't know if you intended this, but using tbx 0.14 in the Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040617 Firefox/0.9.0+ build, there appears to be no Add Bookmark button. This is a button I use a lot.

The Add Bookmark button in tbx 0.14 works fine for me.

Also, I notice that there is no way to tell a new toolbar where to display itself, and no way to tell it to display icon size independently of the rest of the browser. Since i use a toolbar on the left of the screen with small buttons, I noticed this right away.

Look at the context menu for the new toolbar?

TychoQuad: Yes, tbx 0.15 will use the Winstripe 0.2 icons, since I agree that they're a great impovement.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

w00t, thanks
ehume

Post by ehume »

Thanks for the feedback.
clav wrote:
ehume wrote:Count mine as another vote for Themes and Extension buttons.

Another extension appears to have been made for this now, so I think I'll leave them out.

Which One?
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
clav

Post by clav »

ehume wrote:Which One?

This one: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 24&start=0 ?

"EMbuttons 0.2 for Firefox.

Adds toolbar buttons for the extension manager and theme manager, just drag them from the toolbar's customize window."
ehume

Post by ehume »

Thank you. EM Buttons works great.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
clav

Post by clav »

tbx 0.15

- Clear Cache button reinstated (Zoom Reset left till 0.16)
- uses standard Winstripe Stop/Reload icons for the combined button

You should uninstall any old versions of tbx before installing 0.15. I changed the id in the install.rdf (so the EM will think it's a different extension) and the chrome package name too.
djmaniak777

Post by djmaniak777 »

tbx 0.15 on firefox 0.9.1 still doesnt remember your choice of : icons/icons and text/text and small icons.
clav

Post by clav »

I presume you mean when you set it via the controls on the toolbar customisation dialgoue/window/sheet/thingy, rather than via the individual toolbars' context menus? I'll look into that.