MozillaZine

Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
PTS

User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: January 28th, 2005, 8:56 am

Post Posted April 27th, 2005, 7:57 am

NickJH wrote:Everyone will have their own views of which bits of TBE they want replicated. All the bits everyone wants, when added togeather, will make another TBE!

I concur. If you can not live without a TBE feature then use TBE.

~PTS

Defenestration
 
Posts: 359
Joined: July 7th, 2004, 11:33 am

Post Posted April 27th, 2005, 11:13 am

PTS wrote:
NickJH wrote:Everyone will have their own views of which bits of TBE they want replicated. All the bits everyone wants, when added togeather, will make another TBE!

I concur. If you can not live without a TBE feature then use TBE.

~PTS

You're missing the point. As explained in my post most of the functionality to achieve Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions is already present in TabMix in the form of the SessionSaver/Crash Recovery feature. I agree that TabMix should stay lean but that doesn't mean excluding useful functionality for the sake of it, especially when the Load/Save/Delete functionality is a logical extension of SessionSaver, and expanding it to include Load/Save/Delete functionality should not make TabMix much larger or more complex.

I could counter-argue that anyone who wants a really light version of TabMix should stick with 0.2 or 0.2.1. After all, if they're happy with the way it is, why would they need any new functionality or new versions ?!

logixoul wrote:
Defenestration wrote:Please can you reconsider adding this Load/Save/Delete Sessions feature to TabMix.

I will think about it.

Thanks.

MorpheusUK

User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: September 25th, 2003, 3:40 pm

Post Posted April 27th, 2005, 1:23 pm

Defenestration wrote:You're missing the point. As explained in my post most of the functionality to achieve Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions is already present in TabMix in the form of the SessionSaver/Crash Recovery feature. I agree that TabMix should stay lean but that doesn't mean excluding useful functionality for the sake of it, especially when the Load/Save/Delete functionality is a logical extension of SessionSaver, and expanding it to include Load/Save/Delete functionality should not make TabMix much larger or more complex.

I could counter-argue that anyone who wants a really light version of TabMix should stick with 0.2 or 0.2.1. After all, if they're happy with the way it is, why would they need any new functionality or new versions ?!

logixoul wrote:
Defenestration wrote:Please can you reconsider adding this Load/Save/Delete Sessions feature to TabMix.

I will think about it.

Thanks.


I obviously am with Defenestration on this, either remove all session save/restore options from tab mix and truly leave it to another extension hence keeping it light (after all as an example I save sessions regularly and reload them but never restore on startup so this COULD be considered bloat from my POV) . As it stands Tab Mix does have some save-restore functionality but not enough to replace either SessionSaver or CrashRecovery yet I suspect many people consider this an integral part of tab behaviour and hence run one or the other.

I prefer Tab Mix to TBE because it runs faster, is very stable and I don't feel pushed into constantly upgrading every week because with TBE you are never sure if the update is important or not due to the way it insinuates its way into core FF files and so it is hard to follow the old adage of if it aint broke don't fix it. Whilst for me TBE was (mostly) rock solid until the latest 1.14.x builds a lot of TBE's features were simply bloat to me as I never used them and in the past I had ended up uninstalling and reinstalling TBE a couple of times to fix weird behaviour because of install order or another extension being upgraded. I would never have dumped TBE until I discovered tab mix because i did not want to install half a dozen extensions to get the functionality I was after. Tab Mix basically does all of the major features I was interested in.

If Tab Mix didn't already have some session restoration (and by implication saving) features already in the code base then I would agree that it shouldn't be added but as it is already there I wouldn't expect extending it to add much in the way of a performance hit or size increase. However as Session Saver also has some of the undo close tabs behaviour etc. adding this functionality into Tab Mix could also help remove potential conflicts in the future.

Logixoul, thanks for considering implementing the additional tab storage and restoration features and hopefully this post will give you an idea from where I was coming from with this feature request. Unfortunately I have never written an extension (in fact I am not even sure what languages are generally used for this or the details of the API) and so I cannot really make any technical judgement on how easy or hard this is to implement and hence what impact this will have on the performance or size and so my comments related to this area are just speculation but I know from experience that sometimes things which appear trivial are anything but.

Thanks for your efforts, they are much appreciated.

Morpheus

sobel
 
Posts: 129
Joined: December 6th, 2003, 3:21 am

Post Posted April 28th, 2005, 11:29 am

Hi logixoul. Thanks for continue maintaining and developing Tab Mix.

Plans wrote:Bring back the "consider as unread when a background tab is reloaded" feature from version 0.1.5 but without the bugs.

Thanks for considering this.

Do you also have plan to resolve the conflict of Tab Mix + LastTab + ImgLikeOpera (Ctrl+Tab doesn't work) or perhaps integrate the other half of LastTab's feature into Tab Mix to get rid of LastTab altogether?

Cheers!

logixoul

User avatar
 
Posts: 166
Joined: January 5th, 2005, 3:03 am
Location: sofia, bulgaria

Post Posted April 28th, 2005, 11:50 am

sobel wrote:Do you also have plan to resolve the conflict of Tab Mix + LastTab + ImgLikeOpera (Ctrl+Tab doesn't work) or perhaps integrate the other half of LastTab's feature into Tab Mix to get rid of LastTab altogether?
Maybe.

onemen

User avatar
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: October 15th, 2004, 7:48 am

Post Posted April 29th, 2005, 6:31 am

logixoul i set this pref on
  • Do not close window when closing the last tab by hotkey
  • Open new tabs next to the current one
  • Change opening order

when i close all the tab one by one, i get this error after the last tab closed and replaced by blank tab
Code: Select all
Error: [Exception... "'Invalid pointer' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]"  nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml :: set_selectedIndex :: line 414"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml
Line: 414

neoborn

User avatar
 
Posts: 195
Joined: July 9th, 2004, 7:22 pm

Post Posted April 29th, 2005, 11:24 am

I have an issue with Tab Mix & Paste and Go extensions. When I copy then paste and go the location does not open in new tab it just overights or launches from the current open page. If I have the "open new tabs from location bar" checked or not.

Any input on this? It used to work.
"What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply, electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

irkregent
 
Posts: 176
Joined: July 15th, 2003, 9:04 am

Post Posted April 29th, 2005, 11:42 am

Having trouble with TabMix not installing under the 2004-04-29 trunk. Is this still a Firefox bug, or something that needs to be cleaned up in TabMix?

Edit:
Well, I take that back. It now seems to work just fine with this trunk. Hmm...
Last edited by irkregent on April 29th, 2005, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TCrawford
 
Posts: 3
Joined: March 18th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Post Posted April 29th, 2005, 12:38 pm

[UCC]Smack! wrote:I have an issue with Tab Mix & Paste and Go extensions. When I copy then paste and go the location does not open in new tab it just overights or launches from the current open page. If I have the "open new tabs from location bar" checked or not.

Any input on this? It used to work.


Strange, I just installed TabMix 0.2 (first time user) and it works great with Paste And Go 0.4.1. Did you check the Search Bar item under Open New Tabs From within the options for TabMix?

CPU

User avatar
 
Posts: 624
Joined: August 13th, 2004, 4:22 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Post Posted April 29th, 2005, 12:56 pm

[UCC]Smack! wrote:I have an issue with Tab Mix & Paste and Go extensions. When I copy then paste and go the location does not open in new tab it just overights or launches from the current open page. If I have the "open new tabs from location bar" checked or not.

Any input on this? It used to work.


set this pref

Code: Select all
extensions.pasteandgo.OpenNewTab


to true
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403

Mossop

User avatar
 
Posts: 717
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:24 am
Location: Swansea, UK

Post Posted April 30th, 2005, 4:08 am

logixoul wrote:About everyone that has problem with the trunks, the problem seems very difficult to fix :( .


Is this likely to get fixed anytime soon, I absolutly love tab mix, it has exactly the features I need :)

Mossop

onemen

User avatar
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: October 15th, 2004, 7:48 am

Post Posted April 30th, 2005, 9:06 am

onemen wrote:....
when i close all the tab one by one, i get this error after the last tab closed and replaced by blank tab
Code: Select all
Error: [Exception... "'Invalid pointer' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]"  nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml :: set_selectedIndex :: line 414"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml
Line: 414

well i'v found small bug in flst.js if the pref is When closing a tab focus last selected tab then the mentioned above error occur.
to fix the byg replace flst.js line 81:
if ( mode != 4)
with
if ( mode != 4 || tabs.length==1)
if there is only one tab we don't need to look for flst_id.

Clued2it

User avatar
 
Posts: 195
Joined: June 27th, 2004, 8:30 am

Post Posted May 1st, 2005, 1:36 am

I've just installed TabMix and I find it a quite good replacement for TBE which I used to have. However, I would like to ask if there is a setting anywhere to adjust the time needed before focus is given to a tab by pointing the mouse to it.

This is one of the features that I use all the time and I would like to shorten the time needed to change tabs, if possible.

sobel
 
Posts: 129
Joined: December 6th, 2003, 3:21 am

Post Posted May 1st, 2005, 2:00 am

@Clued2it: Check out http://tab-mix.info.tm/ in Hidden Settings section. I think it is extensions.tabmix.tabXDelay.

Clued2it

User avatar
 
Posts: 195
Joined: June 27th, 2004, 8:30 am

Post Posted May 1st, 2005, 2:09 am

Thank you sobel. Is that URL correct? I cannot access the site. :(

Return to Extension Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests