Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

logixoul wrote:of course i will not add it.it would be a guideline violation for an extension options to be accesible from another place but the extension manager.

Ok, you're probably right. That menu cluttering doesn't disturb me personally since I tame it with the menuedit extensions; but I get your point.
I guess that guideline includes a possible keyboard shortcut?

logixoul wrote:i will think about the second.

Thanks.
jctl

Post by jctl »

sorry -- mispost
MorpheusUK

Post by MorpheusUK »

Kitefighter wrote:@logixoul: thank you for taking the task of developing. This is really a great extension.

I'd like to place two Feature Requests:

1) The integration of a Firefox menu item "Tab Mix Options". To access the vast amount of option it's a pain to always start the Extensionsmanager, search, scroll, click and choose "Options"

Not a solution but have you installed the Sort Extensions extension this allows them to be sorted in alphabetical order making finding things in the Extension Manager a lot easier.
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

So, earlier today I noticed an odd thing with Firefox erring out... turns out it's an issue with Tab Mix and JS pop-up handling. So I sent off an email. See the text below:

Hi logixoul ...
Hope this gets to the right place ...! Had an issue with Tab Mix 0.2 ... If you go to my web site you may be able to replicate the problem. Site is in my sig below... once there go to Vinyl to CD then the Lightscribe link that's down the page a bit ... if you click on the second picture it will pop-up an image. With the default settings of Tab Mix it opens in a new tab, when you click the image to close it Firefox crashes... I fixed it by allowing pop-ups to open in resized window... but I figured you might like to know of the error.
Love the extension, good work ... Give a yell if you have any questions. thx

Thought I was being pretty nice, for me at least!!! ;-) The following is the response I received:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.pcmcomputing.com/lightscribe.htm
21 validation errors!!!!!!!!
oh sorry but i get a bit tired from 20 mails per day asking "why does it crash here" and i validate it and it has 90392190348921 zillions of errors..........
fix the errors and if it continues to crash,contact me.

My message back to him was simply Screw off.

And no, he wasn't wrong if you follow the link ... there were 21 errors. Not now, the error still occurs. And Stefan(logixoul) needs to work on his people skills.

The method used for the pop-up image is by no means unusual, it's a Dreamweaver extension. As far as any validation errors being the issue ... well, that's just not the case. I still like the extension, have a bad taste in my mouth after the little exchange above... I'll get over it.

21 does not make a zillion and you have been notified logixoul.
Last edited by Abhoth on April 22nd, 2005, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

And whether you are right or wrong, being truthful or lying, you are exposing yourself as a person who is clearly clueless of any form of decorum by quoting email in a public forum. This is not done but if one is a refugee from AOL or simply a clueless newbie you should learn a modicum of netiquette.

Peter
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

Decorum, yes... those unwritten rules, right? I have little doubt that I expose myself in some way shape or form, in your mind and possibly others. I frequent any number of forums and whether it be a forum post or an email it's out there good people. And calling me a "refugee from AOL" or a "clueless newbie" ... oh my! And I thought I was being harsh with the "Screw off" ! roflmao!!!!!!!!!!! And you speak of decorum, so be it.

My point was simply to point out an issue, a small one really, with an excellent extension. Take it as you wish.
chob

Post by chob »

Abhoth > What was wrong with logixoul's request? Seems totally reasonable to me. Your reply to him was extremely rude and is the kind of thing that anoys devs to the extent that they pack their hard work in and the community is worse off for it.
dgrimm1

Post by dgrimm1 »

Just my personal opinion, but if I was logixoul, I would not even respond to personal emails regarding the tabmix extension. As the developer now responsible for what is one of the most popular Firefox extensions available, he is doing all of us a large favor with his coding efforts, and seems his focus should remain there. Simply answering support questions once in a while in a forum such as this should be all that is expected from a developer. There are others in the community that are more than willing and able to help with support... And by posting support issues in a public place, gives everyone a chance to learn and see the issues, a key component of the whole open-source movement.

And BTW, from what I understand, an extension should NEVER cause Firefox to crash, if it does, that is a bug in Firefox that should be filed in the appropriate place (Bugzilla).
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

dgrimm1: I don't want you to think I'm taking Abhoth's side. And I agree with what you said up to the last part. Extensions can and do crash Firefox. I've seen it happen a lot. but I agree that if I was a Dev I don't think I would answer a bunch of emails about it. Unless of course I'm getting paid.

@logixoul Great extension. Don't let the words of a few (or one) discourage you.

@Abhoth: I have gotten way worse responses then that, and from programs I PAID for. Was the Dev just nice and sweet? no. But it sounds to me like he's a little feed up with this kind of thing. If you had looked at it from their point of view, you might not have been so offended. I would have fixed the errors tried again and if it still crashed wrote them back explaining that it wasn't caused by the errors as they are now fixed and it's still crashes. It really wasn't that bad of a response. Not the best, but dang sure not the worse.
Zed

tab borders disappear with Plastikfox Crystal SVG theme

Post by Zed »

I had reported this to logixoul by email as a bug, and have subsequently realized it's a conflict with a specific theme:

With Tab Mix 2.0 (but not 1.6) and the Plastikfox Crystal SVG 1.5.1 theme, the black-line borders between tabs don't appear, making it hard to read the tab bar, and hard to distinguish the active tab (running on Firefox 1.0.3, Windows XP SP2.)

I'll also report this to the theme developer.

Thanks very much for Tab Mix, logixoul! When setting up a new Firefox instance recently, it was the second extension I installed. (And thanks for pointing me here for bug reports -- might I suggest adding such a pointer to the extension homepage?)
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

1) chob, yes, a reasonable request ... quite reasonable. My reply was rude because his "request" was extremly rude, I simply responded in kind. I took the time to determine that it was indeed Tab Mix that was causing the crash. And the specific area of the extension that was at issue. Sent a nice email and received something back that I would expect more from an 11 year old.
2) dgrimm1, would have to agree with you regarding the receipt of email if in logixoul's shoes.
3) IceDogg, it's not about "taking sides" and if you'll notice I have nothing but praise for the extension... very little in the way of discouraging words. The errors in the page have been fixed and the crash of Firefox still occurs under certain circumstances...
4) Not sure what Zed is talking about and how it pertains here.

Bottom line, the bug still exists and logixoul may do with it as he wishes, fed up or not.
Zed

Post by Zed »

Actually, after playing around further, I'm not sure it pertains here, either. It looks like lots of themes have the unfortunate behavior of not putting a black-line border between tabs on the tab bar, and the behavior is consistent with or without Tab Mix 1.6 or 2.0 enabled or installed.

I'm still sure I wasn't seeing this behavior with Firefox 1.0.2, Tab Mix 1.6, and Plastikfox Crystal SVG, but maybe I was on drugs.

At any rate, this appears to be a non-issue; never mind.
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

Hey Zed, send some of those drugs our way! No worries ... always fun to track these things down.

So, let's do some tracking on what I'm talking about:

1) Let's test ... here's how we play the game. Install the latest Firefox and Tab Mix.
2) In the options for Tab Mix, the javascript popup setting defaults to "no additional settings" ... leave it like that, or set it there if you've changed it.
3) Go to this page http://www.pcmcomputing.com/lightscribe.htm ... you'll see two images, the bottom one, when clicked on, will display a larger image.
4) Click on the image to see a larger image, that will display it in a tab in the browser, now close it ...... Firefox crashes.
5) Start Firefox back up and go back to the JS popup setting, set to "allow resized popups in new window", and all is good.

Let's see if it dies for anyone else ... crashes for me.
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

Hmm....on my system at work Firefox crashed (with Tab Mix enabled, didn't try without) while on my nearly identical system at home Firefox doesn't crash with or without TabMix enabled. TabMix itself is configured identically (JS: "no additional settings")

Edit: Qute Retro Theme is the only one installed beneath the default theme
Last edited by Kitefighter on April 22nd, 2005, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Abhoth wrote:Hey Zed, send some of those drugs our way! No worries ... always fun to track these things down.

So, let's do some tracking on what I'm talking about:

1) Let's test ... here's how we play the game. Install the latest Firefox and Tab Mix.
2) In the options for Tab Mix, the javascript popup setting defaults to "no additional settings" ... leave it like that, or set it there if you've changed it.
3) Go to this page http://www.pcmcomputing.com/lightscribe.htm ... you'll see two images, the bottom one, when clicked on, will display a larger image.
4) Click on the image to see a larger image, that will display it in a tab in the browser, now close it ...... Firefox crashes.
5) Start Firefox back up and go back to the JS popup setting, set to "allow resized popups in new window", and all is good.

Let's see if it dies for anyone else ... crashes for me.

Works here. I don't use any themes. And I use the nightly builds and the tabmix nightly version.