Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

BTW, why does adding a new tab (Ctrl+T) get slower the more tabs you have open ?

Can anything be done about this ?
CPU

Post by CPU »

2) Keep browser window in background when clicking on links in external applications
3) Integrate max tab rows parameter into TabMix prefs GUI.
Also, a small bug.... The tab bar is not redrawn when the min/max tab width is changed.

2. it will take a lot of coding, i think
3. i am trying to do this but not sure how to make it appear

and the last one works for me
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

@CPU: Your extended development of TabMix is kind of irritating. I know that you are only extending TabMix for fun and yourself but since you are going public and the project grows you might consider the next steps.

Don't get me wrong, your work is very much appreciated but what do you think of developing the extended extension (*huh*) under a different name from now on? My fears are that logixoul takes your efforts as a silent takeover and will be discouraged from further developing. If you call it "Tab plus" or whatever both paths could live side by side without seeding confusion for the users.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

I agree. A new thread may be a good idea too.
apachedude

Post by apachedude »

I just switched over to Tab Mix from TBP/Tab X/Session Saver/undoclosetab/etc., and I think it's great. However, one of the features I liked from TBP was that I could force external links to open in a new tab in the same window, rather than a new window. I haven't been able to produce that behavior in Tab Mix. I've tried enabling Single Window Mode, but that setting wouldn't stay (i.e., after a while, perhaps after I click a link, the setting reverts back to disabled).
Luana

Post by Luana »

apachedude wrote:I've tried enabling Single Window Mode, but that setting wouldn't stay (i.e., after a while, perhaps after I click a link, the setting reverts back to disabled).

Go here: (in You're using an Official 1.0.x Build)
Firefox -> Tools-> Options... -> Advanced

Go here: (in You're using a Deep Park Build)
Firefox -> Tools-> Options... -> Tabs

Set the options like in the image :wink:

Close and restart Firefox (for precaution)

I hope this help :)
apachedude

Post by apachedude »

[quote="MatrixIsAllOver"][quote="apachedude"]I've tried enabling Single Window Mode, but that setting wouldn't stay (i.e., after a while, perhaps after I click a link, the setting reverts back to disabled).[/quote]

Go here: (in You're using an Official 1.0.x Build)
[i]Firefox -> Tools-> Options... -> Advanced[/i]

Go here: (in You're using a Deep Park Build)
[i]Firefox -> Tools-> Options... -> Tabs[/i]

Set the options like in the image :wink:
[img]http://img169.echo.cx/img169/4713/settings4singlewindow4tm.png[/img]

Close and restart Firefox [i](for precaution)[/i]

I hope this help :)[/quote]

Thanks. Wow, I was stupid. I think what happened was that TBP altered the preferences menu, so I thought all tab-related preferences were in the TBP section. Thanks again!
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

CPU wrote:
2) Keep browser window in background when clicking on links in external applications
3) Integrate max tab rows parameter into TabMix prefs GUI.
Also, a small bug.... The tab bar is not redrawn when the min/max tab width is changed.

2. it will take a lot of coding, i think

When running TBE I had this option (2) enabled and I had not checked the behaviour of it since uninstalling TBE and installing TabMix. Interestingly, the browser window is still staying in the background with TabMix.

This is a workaround to get this behaviour in TabMix, but it would be nice if it could be integrated into TabMix itself. Can't the relevant code just be lifted from TBE ?
apachedude

Post by apachedude »

Another question. Tab Mix seems to have Session Saver restore capacity, but if I reboot my operating system without closing Firefox, Tab Mix will not restore my previous session. I believe rebooting my system constitutes a "crash", which Session Saver can handle, but Tab Mix cannot. Am I correct? If so, are there any plans to handle crashes?
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

Defenestration wrote:I support Morpheus' request for TabMix to allow Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions (ie. the same functionality offered by TBE's Session Saver feature). I don't require all the extra functionality of SessionSaver, just basic Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions.

Please reconsider...

i'm personally in favor of this feature being added, and i just want to say that the arguments against it seem rather weak. the code will never be used unless the user initiates it, as stated before, so i doubt it'll slow tab mix down any. and as for size: tab mix is 41 kb right now. i think you could add this feature and still keep the size pretty close to that. i don't know about everyone else, but i'm not that desperate for disk space, that i need to save up a few kb.
the only real argument that has any merit is whether coding this feature would result in too much work for the programmer, and if he is willing to take his time to add it. the coding seems to be solved if you can lift it from SessionSaver, as others have been saying, so it only remains if CPU will listen to our pleas. [-o<
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

Kitefighter wrote:@CPU: Your extended development of TabMix is kind of irritating. I know that you are only extending TabMix for fun and yourself but since you are going public and the project grows you might consider the next steps.

Don't get me wrong, your work is very much appreciated but what do you think of developing the extended extension (*huh*) under a different name from now on? My fears are that logixoul takes your efforts as a silent takeover and will be discouraged from further developing. If you call it "Tab plus" or whatever both paths could live side by side without seeding confusion for the users.

i'm with Kitefighter. let Tab Mix Plus be born!
CPU

Post by CPU »

i will consider renaming it, i did have a feeling that if i continued some of the development on the official one might not be done, however it didnt bother me because i just do this for fun since i think tabmix is one of the best extensions ever

one of the reasons i dont go out and change the name is because i dont feel right taking the project from someone else expecially since most of the coding wasnt dont by me, im just adding it with the help of people like onemen, but who knows
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403
bolidew

Post by bolidew »

CPU wrote:one of the reasons i dont go out and change the name is because i dont feel right taking the project from someone else expecially since most of the coding wasnt dont by me, im just adding it with the help of people like onemen, but who knows

most of the coding of TabMix wasn't really done by logixoul or even SUN Chun-Yen, ... isn't there a reason it is called "MIX"?
A new name with version number will better help all users of the extension. I believe many will apprceciate that. No worry, buddy. :)
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

bolidew wrote:
CPU wrote:one of the reasons i dont go out and change the name is because i dont feel right taking the project from someone else expecially since most of the coding wasnt dont by me, im just adding it with the help of people like onemen, but who knows

most of the coding of TabMix wasn't really done by logixoul or even SUN Chun-Yen, ... isn't there a reason it is called "MIX"?
A new name with version number will better help all users of the extension. I believe many will apprceciate that. No worry, buddy. :)

tab mix is the frankenstein of extensions. the original tab mix homepage had a list of about 10 extensions or so whose code was used to make it. logixoul and Sun Chun-Yen simply put it all together and fixed it so they wouldn't conflict and stuff. not to make their achievements any less worthy. i can barely find out my own ip address.
bolidew

Post by bolidew »

makondo wrote:A new thread may be a good idea too.