Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
harvesterx

Post by harvesterx »

Is it possible to open links normally in the foreground, but if I use the [mouse wheel button] or a [key]+[left mouse button] to open them in the background?
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

IceDogg wrote:
Works here. I don't use any themes. And I use the nightly builds and the tabmix nightly version.

I found that using tabmix 0.2 and Qute that firefox crashed. Disabling tabmix still caused it to crash (but disabling tabmix still leaves some options set I believe). Uninstalling tabmix resulted in no crashing. Going back to 0.16 (which I believe is close to what you are using) resulted in no crash.

Interestingly, trying to view this page in ie6 sp1 resulted in the page not rendering at all, barring part of the background.

Peter
MorpheusUK

Post by MorpheusUK »

I use Qute 3 as my default theme with TabMix and don't get crashes, are you sure this is the culprit.
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

Thanks Peter ... ! Too funny... in the course of correcting the validation errors I twitch up some code. This of course stopped that page from rendering in our friend IE... have corrected that now. thx again.
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

MorpheusUK wrote:I use Qute 3 as my default theme with TabMix and don't get crashes, are you sure this is the culprit.

I do not know if this was addressed to me and I was just going to reply and state that I did not think the theme was the culprit and was mentioning it for completeness only as others were mentioning this.

But after the crashes at that site I had gone back to 0.16. I therefore decided to test if just perhaps it was a theme issue and changed my theme back to the default and uninstalled 0.16 and went to 0.20 again. It did not crash now at all. So I decided to keep .20 and go back to Qute and try again. It did not crash now either. Puzzling.

Edit: But something has changed on the web site (http://www.pcmcomputing.com/lightscribe.htm). It now displays in ie6 sp1 and would thus appear to have been revised.

So it would appear that whatever was causing firefox to crash on the page for some of us, but not all, has been corrected.

Peter
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

Abhoth wrote:Thanks Peter ... ! Too funny... in the course of correcting the validation errors I twitch up some code. This of course stopped that page from rendering in our friend IE... have corrected that now. thx again.

Fair enough and as you see from my test now everything works fine with firefox and tabmix 0.20 and with ie6 sp1 and no crashes or errors with either.

Peter
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

I'm running the Gnome theme and just checked and I still crash. Just in Firefox... This system just went through a fresh winxp install, thus the only versions of Firefox and Tab Mix it's seen are the most recent ones. I'll play around here and pull the theme and such and see if any of that corrects the issue.
Abhoth

Post by Abhoth »

O.K., so ... went back to the default Firefox theme. Still errors out... restart FF and it still crashes, restart system and it still crashes. Uninstall Tab Mix and all is good ... download and install Tab Mix again ... still crashing FF ... restart FF and now it's all good. Gnome theme back and still good ... switch the settings around and still good. Restart put it back the way I want it and good to go.

Strikes me as a few too many gyrations to get things to work ... such is life.
logixoul

Post by logixoul »

Abhoth wrote:So, earlier today I noticed an odd thing with Firefox erring out... turns out it's an issue with Tab Mix and JS pop-up handling. So I sent off an email. See the text below:

Hi logixoul ...
Hope this gets to the right place ...! Had an issue with Tab Mix 0.2 ... If you go to my web site you may be able to replicate the problem. Site is in my sig below... once there go to Vinyl to CD then the Lightscribe link that's down the page a bit ... if you click on the second picture it will pop-up an image. With the default settings of Tab Mix it opens in a new tab, when you click the image to close it Firefox crashes... I fixed it by allowing pop-ups to open in resized window... but I figured you might like to know of the error.
Love the extension, good work ... Give a yell if you have any questions. thx

Thought I was being pretty nice, for me at least!!! ;-) The following is the response I received:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.pcmcomputing.com/lightscribe.htm
21 validation errors!!!!!!!!
oh sorry but i get a bit tired from 20 mails per day asking "why does it crash here" and i validate it and it has 90392190348921 zillions of errors..........
fix the errors and if it continues to crash,contact me.

My message back to him was simply Screw off.

And no, he wasn't wrong if you follow the link ... there were 21 errors. Not now, the error still occurs. And Stefan(logixoul) needs to work on his people skills.

The method used for the pop-up image is by no means unusual, it's a Dreamweaver extension. As far as any validation errors being the issue ... well, that's just not the case. I still like the extension, have a bad taste in my mouth after the little exchange above... I'll get over it.

21 does not make a zillion and you have been notified logixoul.
If we start quoting mail, here is what I replied to this:
???
to which he replied
I was trying to help, your response back to me was rude, I responded "in kind" ... errors fixed, FF still crashes, posted the bug over at mozillaZine in the Extensions forum. Done.
to which i replied
oh,i am very sorry.i did not mean to be rude,really.excuse me for my offensive reply.it was 3 o'clock in the morning and i was half-asleep.i did not know what i was writing...not that it excuses me...now i will see what i can do about it.thank you very much for the bug report.i will try to be more polite the next time,i promise.
Then I investigated the case and replied
after a bit experimenting i found out accidently that disabling tab mix,restarting firefox and re-enabling tab mix solves the problem. it seems to be some problem with the transition from 0.1.6 to 0.2.again,thanks for reporting.
I hope this clears up things a bit. I admit it was my fault.
@Zed: Cool idea, I am going to add a link to this thread in the homepage.
Abhoth wrote:My reply was rude because his "request" was extremly rude
Yes, it was.
@harvesterx: It will not be added in soon versions. It sounds kind of exotic to me, i doubt it would be used by many people. Maybe when more important things are done.

Sorry people for replying so seldomly, but I am very busy recently...
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

Abhoth wrote:O.K., so ... went back to the default Firefox theme. Still errors out... restart FF and it still crashes, restart system and it still crashes. Uninstall Tab Mix and all is good ... download and install Tab Mix again ... still crashing FF ... restart FF and now it's all good. Gnome theme back and still good ... switch the settings around and still good. Restart put it back the way I want it and good to go.

Strikes me as a few too many gyrations to get things to work ... such is life.

I spoke too soon. Under some circumstances I still get a crash and under other circumstances it does not using .20. I do not know whether it is a combination of options but I can repeat it and I am getting tired of clearing out my user.dmp files :) Because it works once or twice in a row once does not mean that it will not crash another time. I get the feeling it may be related to whether it is the only tab open or whether there are other tabs open.

Peter

Edit: if the main page is the first tab and the popup is the second tab and no other tabs are open I can repeatedly click on the second tab to close it and all works fine. No errors or anything. But if I decide to create another tab with something else and then thereafter decide to close the tab for the popup firefox crashes.

I don't know where the error lies and I will play around a bit more and go back to 0.16 and see if I can repeat this.

Edit again: I can duplicate this behaviour with 0.16 and with 0.14.
whisky

Bug/Conflic with Pinstripe Modern 1.1 Theme

Post by whisky »

There is also some kind of conflict between tabmix and the Pinstripe Modern 1.1 theme
(Apple OSX theme -- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13516529/).

FF isn't unstable, but it is bloody slow and the tabmix features don't work --
FF reverts to the regular tab functionality and performs abysmally ](*,)
Morac

Post by Morac »

A few things:

1. The tablib (and minit) version in Tab Mix is 20050127.1, the latest version is 20050216. The version is Tab Mix should be updated since 20050216 contains bug fixes. See The Minit extension page for more info. Pretty much all the code you need is already in MiniT+ 20050216.4.

IceDogg wrote:
Abhoth wrote:Hey Zed, send some of those drugs our way! No worries ... always fun to track these things down.

So, let's do some tracking on what I'm talking about:

1) Let's test ... here's how we play the game. Install the latest Firefox and Tab Mix.
2) In the options for Tab Mix, the javascript popup setting defaults to "no additional settings" ... leave it like that, or set it there if you've changed it.
3) Go to this page http://www.pcmcomputing.com/lightscribe.htm ... you'll see two images, the bottom one, when clicked on, will display a larger image.
4) Click on the image to see a larger image, that will display it in a tab in the browser, now close it ...... Firefox crashes.
5) Start Firefox back up and go back to the JS popup setting, set to "allow resized popups in new window", and all is good.

Let's see if it dies for anyone else ... crashes for me.

Works here. I don't use any themes. And I use the nightly builds and the tabmix nightly version.

I tested this and found that it is not a bug with Tab Mix, but a but with Firefox/Mozilla itself.
I can pretty much reproduce this at will. Here's the steps.

1. Create a new profile (so there are no extensions)
2. Go to about:config and change the preference "browser.link.open_newwindow" to 3. Also make sure "browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction" is set to 0. This will duplicate the change made by Tab Mix.
3. Make sure at least 2 tabs are open and go to step #3 in the original procedure. If only 1 tab is open when you go to that page (meaning that clicking on the image opens a second tab) then the browser will not crash. If the image opens a 3rd, 4th, ... tab, the the self.close() command executed will crash the browser.

This will crash Firefox 1.0.3.

I tested the latest Firefox nightlies and it does not crash in those so it looks like the bug has been fixed in the trunk. So until Firefox 1.1 comes out, don't set javascript popup setting defaults to "no additional settings".
Morac

Post by Morac »

I found a bugs in the tab.css file:
At the top:
/* For TabX */
tab .tabs-closebutton.always, tab .tabs-colosebutton.showhover,
tab[tabx=no-button] .tabs-closebutton.showhover, tab[tabx=always] .tabs-closebutton.showhover {
display: none;
}

"colosebutton" should be "closebutton".

In addition I notice that after the extension is first installed, the newTab button will display even though it is not set to display in the options. Going into the options and clicking "OK" will fix this and it won't be a problem again.
I didn't look too far into this, but most likely the preference is being set to false (unchecked) by default, but the "newTab" attribute is not being set to equal the preference setting when the extension is first installed. The code looks like it should be doing this, but unfortunately I don't have the time to look into it right now.
PTS

Post by PTS »

Morac wrote:I tested this and found that it is not a bug with Tab Mix, but a bug with Firefox/Mozilla itself.

Good work Morac.

Now Logixoul can concentrate on other things,

PTS
Escher0

Post by Escher0 »

I already emailed this to Logixoul and got a reply but I figured I'd add this to the discussion here
Hi, I'm really glad to see someone is continuing the work with TabMix as its a great extension. I'd like to request three features though as I used to use TBE way back when and there are still some lingering habits.

First off, I prefer the "Change Opening Order" option off normally, but I prefer the opposite order for when opening multiple bookmarks (by middle clicking a folder). An option to have reverse opening order only for bookmarks would be great.

Second, I had it set in TBE that left clicking a bookmark in the toolbar opened it in a new tab but middle clicking replaced the current tab. This option is missed in TabMix.

Lastly, I'd like middle clicking on a live bookmark to not act as a folder (opening every page listed) and rather open the site it points to (minus the feed filename of course).

In my eyes, these are the only features lacking from TabMix and, at least for me, add a lot. I don't expect miracles but please keep these features in mind for the future. Thanks.