Tool for minimizing Thunderbird to the system tray

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
TeddyBerlin

Post by TeddyBerlin »

gbrandl wrote:Sorry, it is not much better now.

I can start TT, launch TB (it is hidden by then). The context menu remains Start TB/Exit TT.
A double-click on the icon shows TB, but minimizing does not hide the window in the taskbar.
Sometimes, when I click the taskbar entry twice or mor times rapidly, the window disappears.
But I can't get it up again, double-clicking the tray icon does not help.

(WinXP SP1, TB 0.2)

Georg

That all works fine for me.

Heinrich Witt
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040309 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040304)
dfx

Post by dfx »

gbrandl wrote:Sorry, it is not much better now.
I can start TT, launch TB (it is hidden by then). The context menu remains Start TB/Exit TT.
A double-click on the icon shows TB, but minimizing does not hide the window in the taskbar.
Sometimes, when I click the taskbar entry twice or mor times rapidly, the window disappears.
But I can't get it up again, double-clicking the tray icon does not help.

I am very curious about why this goes wrong on some XP systems and works perfect on others. Can you send a (or some) screenshot(s) of this to support@protonfx.com and put Thundertray somewhere in the topic line?
gdeka

Post by gdeka »

in relation to that problem, as i had it originaly had almost given up on thundertray however i had put it in my startupu and noticed that after reboot it works fine

XP
Tb 2.0
dfx

Post by dfx »

gdeka wrote:in relation to that problem, as i had it originaly had almost given up on thundertray however i had put it in my startupu and noticed that after reboot it works fine

Great :) Let me know if you encounter any other problems.
Hekx

Post by Hekx »

I've been using this tool since around 0.6 beta, and I've had similar problems to everyone else.
Sometimes it would work, and other times it wouldn't.
At present I haven't been able to get it to work at all.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP1.
I'm not sure if it works on reboot, but I can say I've had my system up for quite sometime while upgrading to newer versions.
The icon appears in the tray, but is usually blue and listed as "inactive" in the tooltip.
If I try to minimize the Thunderbird window, it minimizes to the taskbar, and not the tray.
If I remember correctly, it used to "intergrate" with Thunderbird after I recieved a new email notification or opened up a new UI other than the main window (Options / Compose / Address Book)
My Thunderbird version is RC 0.3

Is there a site/list with all the bugs and requests?
hekx.ed
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
dfx

Post by dfx »

Hekx wrote:Is there a site/list with all the bugs and requests?

This forum :)

But seriously... as mentioned here before, Thundertray seems to work perfectly on some XP systems and not as good on others. The most common problem is the one you described. Please try the following and let me know if the problem persist afterwards.

1) Close Thunderbird completely.
2) Exit Thundertray (right click the icon, select Exit)
3) Make sure that you've got version 0.7.6 of Thundertray (check the program properties in Windows).
4) Start Thundertray (not Thunderbird).
5) Double click the Thundertray tray icon (or right click and select Launch) to start Thunderbird.

If this doesn't work in you case then can you please let me know if you are using a modified/special version of Thunderbird (different language maybe). A screenshot of your main Thunderbird window would help too (you can black out your personal profiles/mails if you like). Do not post it here, but send it to support@protonfx.com instead and put "Thundertray" somewhere in the topic.
gbrandl

Post by gbrandl »

gdeka wrote:in relation to that problem, as i had it originaly had almost given up on thundertray however i had put it in my startupu and noticed that after reboot it works fine

XP
Tb 2.0

That's the same for me - at reboot it works. I suppose it works the first time TB is started, but not if you had already started TB once without using TT - just a guess.

dfx wrote:1) Close Thunderbird completely.
2) Exit Thundertray (right click the icon, select Exit)
3) Make sure that you've got version 0.7.6 of Thundertray (check the program properties in Windows).
4) Start Thundertray (not Thunderbird).
5) Double click the Thundertray tray icon (or right click and select Launch) to start Thunderbird.

That doesn't work if TB had been started, as I said above.

I'm using the German build of TB, and I sent you a screenshot of the main window.

Georg
kame_sense

Post by kame_sense »

kame_sense wrote:Parameter -launchhide has no effect with v7.1 nor with v7.5

I'm running Windows 2K Pro SP4 (French) and ThunderBird 0.2 (20030901)

Keep up the good work ;)

Even worse with v7.6: parameter -launchhide doesn't launch MozillaThunderBird no more
Once TT launched, I must launch TB manually (either by TT or directly) then everything works as expected
dfx

Post by dfx »

I do hope that you mean <b>launchhide</b> (without a dash that is because) <b>-launchhide</b> will most definitely <u>not</u> work.
kame_sense

Post by kame_sense »

ok I apologize I used -launchhide with a dash :-/
but even if I use launchhide ( without dash ;) ), TT launches TB but doesn't hide it (TT v7.6, Win 5.0 Pro TB 0.2)
dfx

Post by dfx »

kame_sense wrote:ok I apologize I used -launchhide with a dash :-/
but even if I use launchhide ( without dash ;) ), TT launches TB but doesn't hide it (TT v7.6, Win 5.0 Pro TB 0.2)

Quite alright, you're not the first one to have made that mistake.

Well, I developed Thundertray with TB 0.3 in mind, and I've only tested it on that version. Let me know if the problem remains after upgrading to 0.3 (which I assume you will be doing at some point in the future).
Gnerma

Post by Gnerma »

Thundertray v0.7.6 & launchhide is working flawlessly for me with TB 0.3 on win2kSP4. It is just how I wanted a tray feature to work in TB. Thanks a lot dfx :)
kame_sense

Post by kame_sense »

Well then I'll try to upgrade and I'll tell you how it works
Thanks dfx ;)
dfx

Post by dfx »

Gnerma wrote:Thundertray v0.7.6 & launchhide is working flawlessly for me with TB 0.3 on win2kSP4. It is just how I wanted a tray feature to work in TB. Thanks a lot dfx :)
I'm glad to hear that it actually <i>does</i> work for some people :banana:

(no offence to everyone who can't get it to work just yet, I know it still has some bugs which may prevent it from working on your system. Just hang on in there, some day we'll all be dancing the funky banana :-))