Writing Extension Preferences UI for Firefox 1.1

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

*Replaces "is producing" with "has started"...*
Grauw

Post by Grauw »

Wouldn’t a suitable place for information like this be the wiki (kb.mozillazine.org or something)? At least that is the first place I would look for it...
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

If Cusser decides to move this to a wiki, I'd suggest moving to devmo instead of kb.mozillazine.org, along with the current kb page I created.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I'm much more comfortable on forums, but I'd be quite happy for someone to take this and move it. If nobody does then I'll get to it sometime.
pv7Xrc7AXziXd50tB

Post by pv7Xrc7AXziXd50tB »

There is no standard way of doing file pickers with this new prefwindow, is there?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

No, you still have to use JavaScript as before.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I couldn't get the pane switcher to show up for my extension: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=295237. I might be able to work around that bug by adding my own CSS.
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

If the preference browser.preferences.instantApply is set to true (the default on Linux/MacOS), then the "Cancel" and "Apply" buttons will be hidden. Changes within that window will instantly update the corresponding preferences.

This is bad -- what if I'm changing preferences and the decide that I've made a mistake? It will also confuse users who expect a cancel button.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

The default on Windows is to have "cancel" and "apply" buttons as before. The default on MacOS and Linux is to instantly apply preferences, just like every other application on those systems. This won't confuse anyone, on the contrary, it's better design and means that MacOS and Linux users are better catered for.

As for making a mistake, there are few things in the options that can't be undone by rechecking a box or switching a radio button back.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

I updated the kb doc. Feel free to correct/improve.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Cusser wrote:As for making a mistake, there are few things in the options that can't be undone by rechecking a box or switching a radio button back.

Umm, hate to be devil's advocate but...

If a particular extension has many many options ( tabs of ) and you are happily checking/unchecking as you go thru each.. but at some point, you see an option that apparently contradicts one from a previous tab ( and you can't remember which ) .. sometimes its better to just click cancel and go thru it all again.. No ?

Those that have extensions that are running all-the-time should also be aware that prefs might change piecemeal and mid-stream
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

ausdilecce wrote:If a particular extension has many many options ( tabs of ) and you are happily checking/unchecking as you go thru each.. but at some point, you see an option that apparently contradicts one from a previous tab ( and you can't remember which ) .. sometimes its better to just click cancel and go thru it all again.. No ?

No, it's better if the extension isn't designed badly. Either way, the default on Windows is to have apply and cancel buttons. Users of other operating systems are already using the instant-apply method for loads of apps.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

V true..

Guess I gotta get my head round it then..

Cheers
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

If you need any help post back. Keep up the good work, I've used some of your extensions in the past.

I'm curious as to what resolution you use though, to fit your website's entire sidebar on your screen. Probably an issue that's beyond the scope of this thread.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »