Writing Extension Preferences UI for Firefox 1.1

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Andrej Matko

Post by Andrej Matko »

Uff, i'm lost. I'm writing application for mozilla (1.7.12) and i want to include basic preferences window. It is standalone application, but i have no idea how do preferences in prefwindow refer to let say width/height of the window, or how to change locale or skin? And cause i mentioned these two, is it possible to change locale and skin on the fly, or does the app need to be restarted? Is there any simple example showing the relations between main.xul and preferences? Or if anybody can point to me such extension, i just need it to see how it works all together. Thank you!
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I don't think it's actually possible to use <prefwindow> or any of it's child elements in SeaMonkey, let alone Mozilla 1.7.x. I don't think it's possible to change locale on the fly. Skins can be changed on the fly, but a preference needs to be enabled.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Cusser wrote:I don't think it's actually possible to use <prefwindow> or any of it's child elements in SeaMonkey
You could include the XBL bindings for the new Firefox <prefwindow>/<prefpane> in your Seamonkey extension. I'm looking into this myself at the moment for the xSidebar extension.

The author of the Console^2 extension includes the richlist.xml in his extension so that it will work in Seamonkey as well as in Firefox.

Phil
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

I thought zeniko includes richlist.xml because he uses a modified version of the binding (with multi-select support, for example), not for the sake of being compatible with seamonkey.

I don't think bundling various toolkit bindings with one's extension is the right solution. The right solution would be for people who care about Seamonkey to port it to toolkit (instead of trying to get everyone else to backport their code to work with xpfe).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

asqueella wrote:I don't think bundling various toolkit bindings with one's extension is the right solution. The right solution would be for people who care about Seamonkey to port it to toolkit (instead of trying to get everyone else to backport their code to work with xpfe).
Too late. I've implemented the <prefwindow> bindings in xSidebar (a seamonkey only extension) as some of the firefox sidebar extensions I'm porting to Seamonkey use this in their options dialog.

Phil