Console Filter 0.3 [discontinued]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

sure can and work much faster than base console.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

onemen wrote:can u install both console2 and console filter in the same profile ?

Yes, you can. Just make sure that you've got two compatible versions (such as the current Console² v0.1.7 and CF v0.2.14+). Then you can add Console Filter to the toolbar (Console Filter is the disabled drop-down menu item in the Customize dialog) and remove the simple search box from it. If you don't use Console², CF's search bar is always present, since the original JavaScript console doesn't allow toolbar customization.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

I must have missed that, what is the reason that the Console Filter is a separate extension? Users have to think about compatibility between the filter extension and console2, and you have to maintain two extensions.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

One reason is that Console² doesn't work on the Aviary 1.0 branch, another is that I don't want to force anybody to install Console² - and just among us: should it ever be proposed to officially replace the JavaScript console with Console² (not that I'd expect that), the CF code would have to go anyway, since it's not intuitive enough.

As for the compatibility: I intend to alway update them together, so if you're auto-updating, you should always have compatible versions (they're even using the same update.rdf source). And should anything break, that'll remind me of the fact that other extensions which overlay the console might have been broken as well (AiO-Sidebar comes to mind).
onemen

Post by onemen »

with 0.2.14+ (Console2 not installed) i see 2 bug
  1. onemen wrote:when i open javascript console All button is always focused, even if when i'v closed the console another button had the focus.
    but the console content is matching to the button that had the focus.
    it was fixed in 0.2.12, but it's back in 0.2.14+
  2. Code: Select all

Error: aRow is not defined
    Source File: chrome://consolefilter/content/consolefilter.js
    Line: 78
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I'm not able to reproduce bug #1 on a clean profile (tested with Firefox 1.0.6, yesterday's 1.4 nightly and Thunderbird 1.0.6). As for bug #2: it has already been reported twice - including once by yourself - and it has been silently fixed after the very first report (please clear your cache and redownload). So:
* Test for bug #1 on a clean profile and with other extensions disabled one-by-one. It's probably an incompatibility with another extension).
* Please read through the thread more carefully before reporting bugs.
onemen

Post by onemen »

zeniko thank you for your help.
bug #2 - fix now. clear cache did it this time. :oops:
bug #1 - it only happen when extensions.consolefilter.categories is true
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

All right, <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/consolefilter.xpi">Console Filter v0.2.15+</a> officially solves both mentioned problems (since I don't change the filename, you might have to clear your cache again). Thanks for reporting.
Ohayou

Re: Console Filter 0.3 [Oct 28]

Post by Ohayou »

Tiny suggestion for a docs overviewability improvement:

zeniko wrote:Additionally, there are a few special category filters: @js (JavaScript errors only), @css (CSS errors only), @xml (XML/XUL/XBL/HTML errors only) and @- (messages and strict warnings only). These can be enabled through about:config (extensions.consolefilter.categories, recommended for Firefox 1.5).

Might one feature request a @chrome category too? (And is "off" really a good default above?!)

Awesome already. It would be devastatingly excellent with an array of checkboxes for toggling each supported category at the click of a button without messing about with the text field. Is there a paypal account that might reach the author? With Mozilla 1.5 I was very close to (reluctantly) leaving it behind as my primary development environment, prior to finding this excellent hack (there is just Too Much Noise! if you run a gazillion tabs in parallell).
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@Ohayou: You're probably looking for the Console² extension (Firefox 1.5 only).

Ohayou wrote:Might one feature request a @chrome category too? (And is "off" really a good default above?!)

@chrome is mostly the same as chrome://. Now, since the categories were initially a hack which is much better solved the Console² way, I probably won't add any more. And defaulting them to "off" is sensible, since for Firefox 1.0 there are no CSS and XML errors and for Firefox 1.5 it slows down console loading quite a bit (you don't get that speed penalty when using Console²).

BTW: Console Filter and Console² do work together flawlessly.
Ohayou

Post by Ohayou »

zeniko wrote:@Ohayou: You're probably looking for the Console² extension (Firefox 1.5 only).

Indeed I was! Beautiful. Just beautiful. Thanks a million!
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Console Filter 0.3 installation bug report:

platform: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051024 SeaMonkey/1.1a
error message:

Code: Select all

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
file:///C:/TEMP/DOWNLOAD/consolefilter-0.3.xpi  --  2005-10-31 00:28:05
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Line: 0   can't convert Error to string
     ** Line: 14   /^p=([01])$/.test is not a function

Install **FAILED** with error -229  --  2005-10-31 00:28:05
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

That's what you get for claiming SeaMonkey compatibility without actually testing it... fortunately the installation failed, as the extension wouldn't have worked anyway. ;-) Well, I've uploaded a silent update to fix the two issues I've found for SeaMonkey. Thanks for the notification.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

It wouldn't? But it seems to have installed properly once I commented out the if clause.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Minor nit for Seamonkey+Multizilla. For some reason, in order for the Multizilla extension manager to detect consolefilter (and other extensions), the contents.rdf file needs additional attributes in the Description stanza:

chrome:extension="true"
chrome:displayName="Console Filter 0.3"

Updated consolefilter-0.3 and reinstalled and now it shows up in the Multizilla EM.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:chrome="http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/chrome#">
   <Seq about="urn:mozilla:package:root">
      <li resource="urn:mozilla:package:consolefilter"/>
   </Seq>

<Description about="urn:mozilla:package:consolefilter"
      chrome:name="consolefilter"
      chrome:displayName="Console Filter 0.3"
      chrome:author="zeniko"
      chrome:authorURL="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=264146"
      chrome:description="A text filter for the JavaScript/Error Console."
      chrome:extension="true"/>
   </RDF:Description>

<Seq about="urn:mozilla:overlays">