OLD NoScript 1.1.4, bookmarks and places friendly

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Giorgio Maone

Re: Ebay Search

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Cykaos wrote:Ebay search results page doesn't show results. I have allowed ebay.com and ebaystatic.com the only domains I could find in the source of the page but with those allowed it still doesn't work. It does work with JavaScript globally allowed. I am using Firefox 1.0.4 and NoScript 1.0.2

Mmmm, very strange.
I've just entered "foxes" on the main page search box, and it seems to work regularly (14601 items found for foxes) even with script disabled!

Neverheless, I'm sending you by PM the latest beta I'm testing against, maybe there's something different which fixes your ebay issue :-k

Good luck and let me know.
Ashamanic

Post by Ashamanic »

I thought I had replied, but guess not
It does prevent flashblock from working. If Js is globally allowed (or Noscript is disabled, which amounts to the same things as I think the default when disable is chosen is to allow JS again) , Flashblock works again, which is I think why I initially thought it didn't interfere
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ashamanic wrote:I thought I had replied, but guess not
It does prevent flashblock from working. If Js is globally allowed (or Noscript is disabled, which amounts to the same things as I think the default when disable is chosen is to allow JS again) , Flashblock works again, which is I think why I initially thought it didn't interfere

Hi. I'm digging into the Flashblock code too see what's the problem, but I suspect FlashBlocks injects JavaScript in the document whose Flash movies have to be blocked (much like GreaseMonkey does). This way, FlashBlock generated scripts are seen by Firefox as originated by the (blocked) document.
If things go this way, there's no work-around other than rewriting FlashBlock to use a more script-blocking friendly approach :(
OTHO, I've tested AdBlock and it works wonderfully together with NoScript to block Flash movies as well (I know, I know, the button is handy, but...)

Ooops, I almost forgot... thank you very much for your report :)
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Giorgio Maone wrote:I'm digging into the Flashblock code too see what's the problem, but I suspect FlashBlocks injects JavaScript in the document whose Flash movies have to be blocked (much like GreaseMonkey does). This way, FlashBlock generated scripts are seen by Firefox as originated by the (blocked) document.

I'm pretty sure Flashblock uses XBL... if that is the case, then this is indeed the problem. My Image Toolbar (0.6 dev) extension also works this way and likely others.

Giorgio Maone wrote:If things go this way, there's no work-around other than rewriting FlashBlock to use a more script-blocking friendly approach :(

There is talk of allowing XBL injected from chrome to act as chrome code and not be subject to content restrictions. I doubt we'll see this before Gecko 1.9 or maybe even later.
Ashamanic

Post by Ashamanic »

Actually, I think the reason I at first thought flashblock worked is that it does still work on pages where javascript is allowed
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Awesome extension. I'm currently using 1.0.2 and the nightly builds. Ebay is working find even with javascript disabled for me. So, I'm not sure that is the issue. WinXP OS
pacanukeha

Post by pacanukeha »

Love it, it's great, kudoes, will use it, train children to use it, have wife tatooed with logo, dog is now renamed, fan fic website set up, &c. :)

Feature request: can we add the chrome:// protocol?
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

pacanukeha wrote:Love it, it's great, kudoes, will use it, train children to use it, have wife tatooed with logo, dog is now renamed, fan fic website set up, &c. :)

ROFWL :D
pacanukeha wrote:Feature request: can we add the chrome:// protocol?

AFAIK there's absolutely no need for this: chrome:// URLs are privileged and cannot be forbidden by NoScript...
You can check this by typing on the location bar:

chrome://noscript/content/noscriptOptions.xul
pacanukeha

Post by pacanukeha »

I am guessing that there is javascript in that xul? Cuz I can't view source/view source with/view rendered source ... I am thinking that the check boxes being clickable means alles ist moglich.

Cool. So, delete that request and replace it with:

Feature request: can we detect that we are on a chrome:// page and ensure that the icon is the allowed one?
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

pacanukeha wrote:Feature request: can we detect that we are on a chrome:// page and ensure that the icon is the allowed one?

OK, that's fair. In the meanwhile I released 1.0.3 - so:

TODO:
  • Allow some URLs only for current session life-span
  • Detect that we are on a chrome:// page and ensure that the icon is the allowed one

CHANGELOG:

v 1.0.3
=====================================================================
+ Feedback about actual presence of script elements in current page
(white "S" icons if no script tag is found, while number of found
tags is shown in the tooltip - thanks to Volker for suggestion)
+ Feedback about partial permissions in pages containing subframes
(a broken red "stop" sign means only some frames are forbidden)
+ Events are coalesced for better performance and stability
+ Improved options dialog usability (new items are ensured visible
and "delete" key performs mouse-less site removal)
+ Added hotmail/msn/passport domains to default whitelist (thanks to
Swann for suggestion)
+ Added googlesyndication.com and noscript.net to permanent list ;)
x Fixed whitelist options dialog sometimes "forgetting" recently
added items (thanks to TheOneKEA, Bill Mayer and Bill Selden for
their reports)
Another

Post by Another »

I've found a bug with Hotmail. Go to New Message, press a button that won't change the page("To:" for example) and then you'll notice that all buttons will be rendered useless(besides Mail, Calendar, Sign out; non Javascript buttons)
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

WFM I followed your directions and hotmail web interface behaved like it was supposed to. In order to use hotmail I had to white list passport.net, passport.com and hotmail.msn.com. Everything else worked as advertised. In case anyone payed attention I did fix the slight problem I was having and it ended up being user error. :)

Great extension loving it. ;)
Willempie

Noscript 1.0.3 causes Firefox 1.0.4. crashes

Post by Willempie »

first, I want to state that I think that this extension is a valuable addition to Firefox.

However,...
The first time I tried Noscript was it's version 1.0.1. That resulted in an instability within firefox with a lot of firefox crashes as a result. The result was that I deinstalled 1.0.1 and decided to wait for better times to come.
Today I installed the latest version, 1.0.3. The result was desastrous. When I restarted Firefox in order to get the extension installed, Firefox wouldn't start anymore, it crashed all the times. Only after starting Firefox in secure mode and deinstalling Noscript I was able to use Firefox again in a normal fashion.

There is still some more work to be done.
b.t.w. I used firefox 1.0.4 and Noscript 1.0.3. :cry:
Giorgio Maone

Re: Noscript 1.0.3 causes Firefox 1.0.4. crashes

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Willempie wrote:There is still some more work to be done.
b.t.w. I used firefox 1.0.4 and Noscript 1.0.3. :cry:

Thank you for your report.

Did you follow the procedure explained in FAQ 2.1?

I'm working hard to find the Firefox bugs which may lead to the reported crashes (incidentally, during my quest, I think I've already found something which makes blacklists useless if not harmful, for those who were asking, and I'm filing a bug report on this to MoFo)

Also, I need all your help about possible extensions conflicts.
What I know at this moment is that FlashBlock and GreaseMonkey don't work on blocked sites (but do on trusted ones), while AdBlock does its wonderful job everywhere :)
vhable

Re: There's a browser safer than Firefox... [reloaded - v1.0

Post by vhable »

Giorgio Maone wrote:CHANGELOG

v 1.0.3
=====================================================================
+ Feedback about actual presence of script elements in current page
(white "S" icons if no script tag is found, while number of found
tags is shown in the tooltip - thanks to Volker for suggestion)

Hi Giorgio!
Thank you very much for implementing this feature so quickly :-) Seems to work fine!
Best wishes,
Volker