OLD NoScript 1.1.4, bookmarks and places friendly

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
m)

NoScript and other extensions

Post by m) »

If there is anyway to allow extensions globally, it would be greatly appreciated.
Giorgio Maone

Re: NoScript and other extensions

Post by Giorgio Maone »

marc_b wrote:If there is anyway to allow extensions globally, it would be greatly appreciated.

NoScript allows/forbids JavaScript scripts.

What do you extactly mean by "allowing extensions"? :-k
m)

NoScript and other extensions

Post by m) »

Some extensions use JS and for these extensions to work, I have to 'allow JS globally. I'd rather allow only the JS from extensions if there is a way.

I remember another member mentioning something along the lines of selectively allowing javascript (i.e., allowing only 1 JS of many on a page). If this were possible, I would be able to allow the scripts of my choice, which would fullfil my request.

(Sorry if this reply didn't go through an expected path. On my end, it doesn't seem to be working cleanly.)

Great extension, by the way.
Giorgio Maone

Re: NoScript and other extensions

Post by Giorgio Maone »

marc_b wrote:Some extensions use JS and for these extensions to work, I have to 'allow JS globally. I'd rather allow only the JS from extensions if there is a way.

Usually those extensions (e.g. GreaseMonkey and its children) work on every page where JS is allowed, i.e. you don't need to allow it globally.
marc_b wrote:I remember another member mentioning something along the lines of selectively allowing javascript (i.e., allowing only 1 JS of many on a page). If this were possible, I would be able to allow the scripts of my choice, which would fullfil my request.

I'm afraid this is not possible, dued to (not so unreasonable) limitations in the core Firefox security model.
I'm getting quite experienced in this mozilla internals domain, because I'm just writing a patch that should fix bug 217967, finally (you know, when current Mozilla developers overlook a bug for too much time, it's time for a new developer to jump on the Mozilla wagon :D )

Great extension, by the way.

Thank you! :P
MassJeff

Also seems to cause crashes for me...

Post by MassJeff »

Blue_Drache wrote:Ok, "Automatically reload current page when permissions change" is causing problems for me. If this is checked, and I change permissions on a page, FF crashes every time.

<snip>

I've disabled that option, via the UI and now only manually re-load the page if necessary. That seems to have helped fix the problem.

I am having the same problem (I haven't diagnosed it thoroughly, but the symptoms seem identical); it apparently started (on my system) a few weeks ago - perhaps after some (automatic) update.

I am running Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows XP Pro SP2.
Jeff Rosenberg
Giorgio Maone

Re: Also seems to cause crashes for me...

Post by Giorgio Maone »

MassJeff wrote:
Blue_Drache wrote:Ok, "Automatically reload current page when permissions change" is causing problems for me. If this is checked, and I change permissions on a page, FF crashes every time.

<snip>

I've disabled that option, via the UI and now only manually re-load the page if necessary. That seems to have helped fix the problem.

I am having the same problem (I haven't diagnosed it thoroughly, but the symptoms seem identical); it apparently started (on my system) a few weeks ago - perhaps after some (automatic) update.

I am running Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows XP Pro SP2.

OK, people, good news for everybody.
Aside FAQ 2.1, with the usual explainations and work-arounds, I've finally decided to patch the awful Mozilla bug 217967 with my own hands.

I really don't know what more should I do:
  1. I've requested developers' attention on a two years old bug, abandoned and neglected even if causing crashes... :?
  2. I've analyzed the problem, finding the underlying Mozilla/Firefox code flaw which caused the pseudo-random crashes, and hoping some Mozilla developer with more knowledge of mine about Mozilla internals would fix it soon [-o<
  3. Finally I've decided I couldn't stand anymore NoScript being blamed (and flamed) because of a Firefox fault: hence, even if I'm not a core Mozilla developer (so I had to make some considerable effort to figure out things), I wrote the patch that fixes the Firefox bug 8)

Now this patch is waiting to be reviewed by 3 Mozilla developers (that's what it needs before being checked in the "official" Mozilla/Firefox codebase).
There are no more excuses [-X the code is already written.

If you want a trouble-free NoScript experience, let them hear your voice and vote this bug!!! :2gunfire:.
But please, don't say anymore things like "This extension is full of bugs, it crashes Firefox all the time": NoScript actually fixes Firefox bugs :D
Another

Post by Another »

Cool, I hope this fix is put on 1.0.5; so the problems are gone.
Red Dragon

Ok I have a question

Post by Red Dragon »

This bug fix sounds good. How do I get this in Firefox, along with its patch? Id like to try it. Will the original be updated with the patch incorporated?

Thanks
Alan Baxter

Re: Also seems to cause crashes for me...

Post by Alan Baxter »

Giorgio Maone wrote:If you want a trouble-free NoScript experience, let them hear your voice and vote this bug!!!
Looks like using the Quality Feedback Agent might have been even more effective than voting.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

From Bug 217967

Code: Select all

g.maone@informaction.com changed:

What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|ASSIGNED                    |RESOLVED
         Resolution|                            |FIXED

------- Additional Comments From g.maone@informaction.com  2005-06-29 11:26 PDT -------
Patch landed by timeless on both branches and trunk.
Thank you all :-)
Congratulations, Giorgio. I can't wait to hear the test results from trunk users. Is this the same thing as Deer Park Alpha?
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Giorgio, I am amazed and grateful. That's the spirit projects like Firefox need.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Brausepaul wrote:Giorgio, I am amazed and grateful. That's the spirit projects like Firefox need.

Alan Baxter wrote:Congratulations, Giorgio.

Yes, today is a great day for NoScript :banana:
Also bug 296764 (arrow keys disabled for trunk users) has been fixed :D
smartguy wrote:This bug fix sounds good. How do I get this in Firefox, along with its patch? Id like to try it.

Alan Baxter wrote:I can't wait to hear the test results from trunk users. Is this the same thing as Deer Park Alpha?

Deer Park Alpha is a particular snapshot of the trunk, taken at a certain date (one month ago, IIRC).
For obvious reasons, you can find the fix in any of the nightlies from tonight (30 June) on, both from the trunk (pre-Fx1.1) and from the aviary branches (pre-Fx1.0.5 and Moz1.7.9).

smartguy wrote:Will the original be updated with the patch incorporated?

Yes
Another wrote:Cool, I hope this fix is put on 1.0.5; so the problems are gone.

Of course, final Fx 1.0.5 and Fx 1.1 releases will contain this patch as well.

It's time to cope with another "interested" bug 8)

Alan Baxter wrote:Looks like using the Quality Feedback Agent might have been even more effective than voting.

Yes, now you know what QFA is for: fixing 2 years old bugs.
Thank you all for your talkback pressure! :lildevil:
oldaccountbegone

Post by oldaccountbegone »

Giorgio is it possible in the near future to allow javascript executions from extensions even if the sites aren't allowed to use it?
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

aliumalik wrote:Giorgio is it possible in the near future to allow javascript executions from extensions even if the sites aren't allowed to use it?

If yours is an innuendo to GreaseMonkey, FlashBlock et al running only in pages where JavaScript is allowed, there are a bunch of related open Mozilla bugs:
  1. Disabling JavaScript should not prevent JavaScript contained in chrome XBL from running
  2. Need ability to execute trusted XBL/JS when doc is untrusted
  3. disabling javascript in browser doesn't allow chrome:// to add eventListners to window

They are pretty intricated, involving different areas of the Mozilla code, and scary as security is involved.
There are not many developers who dare to touch this kind stuff (see this comment and the following), so I've little hope for a quick "spontaneous" resolution.

You may ask GreaseMonkey developers if they can imagine a different and more compatible approach to this problem and/or they are willing to patch the relevant bugs theirselves (as I've done and am doing with 217967 and trying to do with 298823).

Good luck! :)
incredibles

Post by incredibles »

Einmal problem - Can't use the arrow keys in input forms anymore. (Using latest Deer Park Alpha at date of post)

I posted a thread here (in error) about it: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=
bugmenot account is disabled.