OLD NoScript 1.1.4, bookmarks and places friendly

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Read the FAQ
Aphex_Twin

NoScript - the source of my woes !

Post by Aphex_Twin »

This is an excellent tool, unfortunately it has the nasty habit of crashing my browser. While in the beginning I thought it was a bug in the browser, then a bug in the OS, then, after uninstalling all plugins and re-setting them one by one (a laborious process) it seems NoScript is at fault.

Here is what happends, when I allow javascript for say this site:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/249522

I click the "watch this movie" link

Then it may or may not load, but surely the browser WILL crash.

Now, only if someone is listening and this post is not a complete waste of time...
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Your post is a complete waste of time. You too sir, need to read the FAQ.
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

I have read the FAQ's and not seen this come up. I have this forum set in the NoScript white zone and since installing, after typing out a lengthy Quick Reply hit Reply and somehow everything is erased and I am told I "must insert text in order to reply". Is this NoScripts fault or some other issue with the board?
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

mtz1of4 wrote:I have read the FAQ's and not seen this come up. I have this forum set in the NoScript white zone and since installing, after typing out a lengthy Quick Reply hit Reply and somehow everything is erased and I am told I "must insert text in order to reply". Is this NoScripts fault or some other issue with the board?

Are we talking about this board (mozillazine)?
I'm not inclined to believe it is NoScript fault, because I send several posts a day to this forum and never experienced this issue, even with mozillazine.org not whitelisted (i.e. forbidden). :-k
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

That has been an issue with Mozillazine before, see:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=218058

Recently I experienced the problem again a couple of weeks ago and noticed a new [QE] quick edit option appear on your own posts. But the problem dissapeared a few days later along with that new option :-k.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I have used some other extensions that cause this to happen as well, but not noscript. Try testing on a new profile with only noscript installed for yourself. I think one extension that caused this was always save password.
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

Thanks for the quick replies. My thought was NoScript only because it's the only extension I've added in the last two days. And of course, you always blame the last thing you tried even if it's only found a different weakness. I did uninstall NoScript and will reinstall in a day or two, if no more funny experiences pop up.
Thanks, I don't use Save Password.

Giorgio, just so you know, Fx just crashed also as I was attempting to start a new thread in the Mozillazine Site Forums after copying the post that I had written here and trying to put it into there to ask them. I'm not blaming you, just informing you, in case you cared. What I mean is, I thought I saw your name on the Bug report in your FAQ's for the Fix.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

mtz1of4 wrote:What I mean is, I thought I saw your name on the Bug report in your FAQ's for the Fix.

You're right, I'd be very interested if you're using a Firefox build released after 30 June (e.g. latest 1.0.5 test preview), because it contains my patch and it must work with no crash!!! ;)
If you're using 1.0.4, I don't give a damn (just kidding, but it was a Firefox 1.0.4 bug, so crashes are expected...)
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

Sorry, I'm not up to using the dailies yet. I have been very satisified with the regular releases. No sweat, I can patiently wait for 1.0.5.

Thanks for your time and work.
Lynx2001

Post by Lynx2001 »

Noscript crashed Fx for me. What I did was install Firefox 1.04 play with it a little (default config) then installed only Noscript and BANG it crashed. I think that's pretty close to proof that the extension is at fault.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Lynx2001 wrote:Noscript crashed Fx for me. What I did was install Firefox 1.04 play with it a little (default config) then installed only Noscript and BANG it crashed. I think that's pretty close to proof that the extension is at fault.

Mmmm, I believed the things we said in this forum and FAQ 2.1 were clear enough.
Well, let's repeat again:
  1. NoScript uses Configurable Access Policies (CAPS), a built in Firefox security feature
  2. A serious (crasher) bug in CAPS (a Firefox bug, obviously) has been overlooked for two years because there was no user interface to test and easily reproduce it
  3. NoScript happens to be the first widely spread and intuitive user interface for CAPS, hence triggered this otherwise "sleeping" bug
  4. I fixed this bug (patching the Mozilla code, not the NoScript one) on 30 June, hence Firefox 1.0.4 is obviously still affected, but all the Firefox builds after that date are not

I think that's pretty close to proof that the extension helped to fix a Firefox fault ;)
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Hi Giorgio,

Just letting you know about javascript.options.strict and javascript.options.showInConsole preferences in about:config that someone has just alerted me to. These probably don't matter too much but notice your two extensions have a few errors output to the console.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

mcm_ham wrote:Hi Giorgio,

Just letting you know about javascript.options.strict and javascript.options.showInConsole preferences in about:config that someone has just alerted me to. These probably don't matter too much but notice your two extensions have a few errors output to the console.

Thank you. They are not real errors - its the "strict" mode that should be renamed pedantic ;)
Blue_Drache

Post by Blue_Drache »

Mr. Maone,
I've noticed that there is a bypass for certian java-enabled websites... J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 1 is installed on my system. Apparently, it allows java to be run, even if the site is not on the whitelist. Is this a problem? Case in point - This site uses the J2SE RT and is NOT on my whitelist, yet it can run java.
Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...
The Blue Drache
At home & work: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7