OLD NoScript 1.1.4, bookmarks and places friendly

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
i hate registrations

Post by i hate registrations »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
i hate registrations wrote:Is there a possibility to block only thirdparty scripts?

Not by default. You just need to click on the NoScript icon and allow the first domain (the "top page"'s one it's alway on top).
But this is only per domain, not for all domains in general.

Giorgio Maone wrote:
i hate registrations wrote:Is there a possibility to have NoScript in the toolbar and not in the statusbar?

Yes, use NoScript Options|Appearance to hide the status bar icon, and the Customize toolbar contextual menu to add the NoScript button.
Thanks, I must have overseen this for some reason. I should have checked the customize menu. Thanks, it is working now.
I hate useless registrations at forums for single postings.

Username: i hate registrations
Password: 123456
therube

Post by therube »

WinInstantly wrote:Let me recap so that I understand the suggestions so far correctly. The idea of a fix for this is to:

1. Go to a website which may or may not have an embedded movie file
2. Find out that it does but the error message that I'll get is already initiated and pops up.
3. Click the checkbox to not show this message again
4. Browser crashes with an illegal operation
5. Restart Firefox
6. Pull up the extensions option screen
7. Add site I wanted to visit into the "Allow Javascript" whitelist
8. Revisit site
9. Hope that site doesn't load anything malicious now that I've unzipped my fly by allowing all JS

It was pointed out recently, that ...
ecjs wrote:In Noscript options, you can also try to block media contents for unknown sites, so you won't get this problem if you do not allow javascript.

ecjs wrote:IceDogg wrote:
Where can you do that? Is that part of forbid other plugins?

Indeed it is.

And that has worked ok for me. (In general) WMP is blocked. If it is, & you are expecting something to have happened, then you enable (temporarily) JS for that site. Reload the page. If still nothing, then at that point, generally, you will see a picture area where the WMP plugin would normally be. That will usually then be at a different URL. Temporarily enable that, reload the page, & your media should play. With less likelyhood that Mozilla will crash.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DucemBarr

Suggestion -> Message about blocked scripts -> Selecti

Post by DucemBarr »

Hello everyone,

I have a suggestion concerning the message about blocked scripts. This message is most useful in normal cases, because it allows you to identify new domains to whitelist.

But it isn't really useful for adware / advertising domains. => <b>What about 'blacklisting' domains that we don't want NoScript to mention in the blocked scripts message?</b>

Apart from that, NoScript is a <b>gem</b>! Keep up the good work.
hynekcer

Noscript BUG

Post by hynekcer »

The Noscript extension has a BUG, which I demonstate on my web page.

If scripts are disabled by Noscript, the link to a named fragment of the same document fails if
1) the destination of the link is only the name of the fragment and 2) the link contains also any "onclick" event attribute with any string expression in apostrophes, 3) current versions of Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.2 and Noscript 1.1.4

Example of the bug:

Code: Select all

<a href="#section1" onclick="mystring='abc';">such link - BUG</a>
any text
<a name="section1">x</a>

I thing, that my web describes and demonstrates this bug more exactly than this text.
Fionavar

Post by Fionavar »

I tried a search, but I did not seem to find something particular to this.

The site - http://www1.ca.dell.com/ - does not list the top menu bar, even though scripts are enabled for this site. If I disable NoScript, everything is fine - thoughts? Am I missing something?
The Road to Violence (Mahatma Ghandi):
Wealth without work - Pleasure without conscience - Knowledge without character -
Commerce without morality - Science without humanity - Worship without sacrifice -
Politics without principle
Giorgio Maone

Re: Noscript BUG

Post by Giorgio Maone »

hynekcer wrote:1) the destination of the link is only the name of the fragment and 2) the link contains also any "onclick" event attribute with any string expression in apostrophes, 3) current versions of Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.2 and Noscript 1.1.4

and 4) The NoScript Options|Advanced|Attempt to fix JavaScript links preference is enabled.

This is a known bug and already fixed in next NoScript version by "attempting to fix" links wich point an empty fragment (a trailing "#") only and leaving meaningful fragments alone.
Thank you for your report anyway :)

Fionavar wrote:The site - http://www1.ca.dell.com/ - does not list the top menu bar

This link is apparently broken, all I get is "Directory listing denied" :-k
foxy26

Post by foxy26 »

Noscript crashes firefox 1.5 when downloading a page with flash 8
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

foxy26 wrote:when downloading a page with flash 8

Which page?
Can you please point me the URL where it happens and what your about:plugins tells about your exact Flash plugin version (just type about:plugins in your address bar like it was a normal URL, and search for "ShockWave Flash").
Thank you.

[edit]
I've just checked my own setup: player is the latest version (8.0.24r) and seems to work as expected, on both allowed and forbidden pages :-k ...
hynekcer

Post by hynekcer »

Thank you for this satisfactory solution:
Giorgio Maone wrote:and 4) The NoScript Options|Advanced|Attempt to fix JavaScript links preference is enabled.
... This is a known bug and already fixed...

Where could I read list of known bugs and its temporary solutions?

NoScript is a good program, but it seems its options are little documented.
Can you explain on your site what is the purpose of this option?

and what is Allow < a ping...> ?
What is Temporary allow [...] ?
These three options are the worst understandable of all.
foxy26

Post by foxy26 »

Which page?
Can you please point me the URL where it happens and what your about:plugins tells about your exact Flash plugin version (just type about:plugins in your address bar like it was a normal URL, and search for "ShockWave Flash").

In all pages that use flash. I think that is the vesion 8 just instaled it from Macromedia site

Well I use the portable version of firefox 1.5
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

hynekcer wrote:Where could I read list of known bugs and its temporary solutions?

usually here: http://www.noscript.net/changelog

hynekcer wrote:what is Allow < a ping...> ?

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/darin/ar ... 09594.html
hynekcer wrote:What is Temporary allow [...] ?

It is in the "Appearance|Contextual Menu|Show..." section, meaning that you can hide the "Temporarily allow" menu item if you want.

foxy26 wrote:In all pages that use flash.

Considered that I can't reproduce this problem, what other extensions have you got installed?
ScotZ

New functionality request - block specific JS functions

Post by ScotZ »

I love NoScript! One thing that would make it even better for me is to be able to block or replace individual JavaScript functions that are fed to my browser by the sites I visit.

Typically, I will see functions that disable the use of various mouse buttons or prevent the use of the context menu on the page, etc. Is this something that could be addressed by NoScript? I'm thinking of a grouped-by-domain, user-populated list of functions that are outright ignored within a script, or for which a user can substitute their own code. Or, perhaps there is a better way to achieve the effect I'm looking for?

Thanks
foxy26

Post by foxy26 »

I use noscript with adblock plus
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

foxy26 wrote:I use noscript with adblock plus

Me too, but adblock has interactions with Flash too and maybe we've got different usage patterns.
Can you try to disable adblock plus and see if the problem persist?
Also, what AdBlock+ version are you using?
Thanks for your help...
therube

Post by therube »

v 1.1.4
=====================================================================
+ "Allow sites opened through bookmarks" option
+ Notification delay in seconds can be changed through the
"noscript.notify.hideDelay" about:config preference
x Removed bogus JS messages on SeaMonkey startup
x Fixed bookmarklet support to work with the new "Places" code,
the bookmark sidebar and the bookmark manager
x Added mozilla.com to the default whitelist
x Always honour "Attempt to fix JavaScript links" option (links
were processed anyway if "Forbid <a...ping>" was enabled)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript