Rightmouse + Scroll wheel opera-feature extension? :)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
maubp

Post by maubp »

Thanks in advance mozzmike/4711 for the HistoryScroller

(Are you doing this together?)

Any decision yet on how to invoke it? I made some suggestions earlier in this for people to muse on/discuss...
Peter

Post by 4711 »

Now it´s LeftMouseButton+Scroll. Is it free?

Post by 4711 »

OK! HistoryScrollor is out: http://www.krickelkrackel.de/historyscroller.htm !!!!

Thanks to mozzmike!

No FavIcons! Never!

HAPPY TESTING!
maubp

Post by maubp »

Thanks 4711 - I have just downloaded an installed the History Scroller, and put it to work with Phoenix 0.5 on Windows 2000 SP2

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207 Phoenix/0.5

I know I suggested "Left Mouse Down + Scroll Wheel" to invoke it, but my fingers will take a litttle while to get the hang of it! I'll let you know how I get on :)

The only things I have noticed so far, is the popup is allways in the same position vertically - i.e. the "current page" in the history is not "where you clicked" but instead the "most recent page" is.

Also (and I know I suggested it this way in the first place - sorry) is it "right" to have the "old" history pages at the bottom, and the new ones at the top? i.e. Back = scroll down, Forward = scroll up

When reading a document, Back = scroll up, Forward = Scroll Down. So maybe the "back history" should be above the current page in the popup, and the "forward history" below...

What do other people think?
Peter
maubp

Post by maubp »

While reading "101 Things You Can Do in Mozilla" I spotted something relevant to this thread:

http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

44. Mouse wheel options
Pressing Alt and scrolling the wheel will navigate back and forward in the browser history. One can also...

Just tried it and it works with Phoenix 0.5 as well - but has no GUI.

Perhaps the HistoryScroller should listen for "Alt + Scrolling" as well/instead in order to "enhance" the base functionality with the popup.

Are many of you people who try to use the "mouse only"?
Peter

Post by 4711 »

For me HistoryScroller was always a "variation" of TabScroller. Useless or not.
For navigation backward/forward you can also use backspace (/+caps).
The only advantage of HistoryScroller is the menu for directly choosing the
history entry without trying to hit the little button under the big one.

For moving back/forward there is also "Mouse Rocker" which works well with
"Mouse Gestures" if modified a bit.

I´m a "mouse-only" user and don´t like "mixed-mode". Mouse-only navigation
is very good for fullscreen (presentations etc.) and other "pencil-in-the-other-hand"-action.

But, of course for only moving backward/forward it´s useless.
maubp

Post by maubp »

I've just noticed that the TabScroller does not show a loading icon (rotating arrows by default on Phoenix 0.5) for those tabs that are currently "Loading..." and have this icon on their tab.

I haven't got the latest version of the extension installed yet...

EDIT:-
I have just reinstalled Phoenix 0.5 (clean profile) and applied TBE, Mouse Rocker, Nuke Image, and finally TabScroller Vers. 0.1.1
As I rather expected, no loading icons are shown on the tab scroller.
Peter
nelius

Post by nelius »

i get tabscroller to work..but historyscroller is barely visible (aprox a nanosecond) before it dissapears..i can see that is's there..but i cant scroll or choose anything
shimage

Post by shimage »

4711 wrote:For moving back/forward there is also "Mouse Rocker" which works well with
"Mouse Gestures" if modified a bit.

could you share, maybe? i'm lazy and i hate coding... either way, thanks for sharing your extensions!
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Tab scroller is awesome! Thank you very much! My extensions:

Mouse Gestures, TBE, Nuke Image, Ad Block, Mouse Rocker (not working right now), Tabscroller, Autohide Toolbox, leech, Preferential (not working right now), User Agent Toolbar.

Woohoo!

The Phoenix help site needs to add Tabscroller and Ad block.
maubp

Post by maubp »

badrad wrote:Tab scroller is awesome! Thank you very much! My extensions:

Mouse Gestures, TBE, Nuke Image, Ad Block, Mouse Rocker (not working right now), Tabscroller, Autohide Toolbox, leech, Preferential (not working right now), User Agent Toolbar.

I think there might be a problem with having "Mouse Rocker" and "TabScroller".

I think if you try and install "Mouse Rocker" then "TabScroller" both work,

but if you do "TabScroller" then "Mouse Rocker" only the "TabScroller" works.

N.B. I might have that back to front. Try some experiments with a clean installation & clean profile.

P.S. The latest version of "Mouse Gestures" includes the "Mouse Rocker" functionality, see here:

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3908
Peter
maubp

Post by maubp »

4711 wrote:For me HistoryScroller was always a "variation" of TabScroller. Useless or not.
For navigation backward/forward you can also use backspace (/+caps).
The only advantage of HistoryScroller is the menu for directly choosing the
history entry without trying to hit the little button under the big one.

Going off topic again, but:-

I found out recently on another thread that you can right click on the back/forward toolbar buttons to get the drop down list. Some themes don't even have the little drop down buttons.
Peter
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Perhaps it is just me but the combination of finger gestures required to use this feature sounds like a RSI (repetitive stress injury) injury waiting to happen. Using 2 fingers on the same hand to perform opposing tasks is a huge strain on your hand/wrist muscles if you do it for very long.

But perhaps you don't use a mouse for the same duration that I do? Suffice it to say that I wouldn't use this.
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Hm, didnt think of it that way Chirs. I need to start thinking that way though, I am 19 and already have symptoms of Carpal Tunnel. Im at work right now and I am wearing these funky glove things so that I don't mess myself up even more:

http://www.imakproducts.com/products/smart_glove.htm

smart money

Post by 4711 »

Because of a 28 Billion $ "compansation for personal suffering" i have to remove
the link from server. Sorry... :wink: