MenuManipulator 20140526

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Milesch

Re: MenuManipulator 20080929

Post by Milesch »

Here's the basic problem. BM This Page refuses to move from the 1st position. If Organize Bookmarks, with or without it's spacer is moved to the top, it is seen there in both the BM's and MM's dropdowns. Restart FF and it's back to 2nd place. The same occurs if Bookmark This Page is moved to below Organize BM's.

Before I managed to do this a couple of times out of 20, but now cannot. Perhaps the menu has become damaged?

No other extension related except Menu Editor and it reads "Bookmarks is not yet implemented." Perhaps he has found similar problems? At this stage it's not that important and I can't spend any more time. If you find a method to correct it, please let me know.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Milesch wrote:No other extension related except Menu Editor [...]
Well, using two menu editing extensions will lead to problems.

• While Menu Editor displays a "Not yet implemented" it does add ids to containing elements missing it ( likely trough MenuEdit_addIDs in chrome://menuedit/content/common.js ) as is the case with Bookmark This Page.
  • MenuManipulator tries to build a XPath for the elements following moved elements (1 + menumanipulator.Move.fallbacks) preferring ids.
  • At the time MenuManipulator tries to rebuild the menu structure, Menu Editor hasn't assigned the id yet causing MenuManipulator to use the fallback
The simplest thing you can do (if you want to use both extensions) is to disable Menu Editor, Restart, Edit the Bookmarks menu with MenuManipulator, enable Menu Editor, and restart again.

Note that even if you disable MenuManipulator (or reset everything) most moved elements might still be in that order once you've restarted as Menu Editor does seem to remember changes to the menu structure made by other extensions (this most likely explains what you meant with "However I do see that the File menu is as I had reset it").
Milesch

Post by Milesch »

Thanks, but still doesn't work with Menu Editor disabled. Tried to move BM Toolbar to 2nd to top and when restarted FF, the line was there, but was blank -- same as before -- so had to reset. Sorry, but it simply doesn't work with the BM menu.

Incidentally it would be best if the MM window would open with the tree closed in order to quickly reach the one to be edited.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Milesch wrote:Thanks, but still doesn't work with Menu Editor disabled. Tried to move BM Toolbar to 2nd to top and when restarted FF, the line was there, but was blank -- same as before -- so had to reset. Sorry, but it simply doesn't work with the BM menu.
The reason for this is that moved nodes (but not their children) seem to loose their XBL bindings until they are redrawn (maybe related to bug 265086 or bug 276190) causing initBookmarksToolbar (called from delayedStartup which runs after MenuManipulator) to fail to set the label attribute (as the property handler for .label isn't there yet).

You should be able to work around that by inserting a label attribute on the right pane (right click) with a value you want.

Milesch wrote:Incidentally it would be best if the MM window would open with the tree closed in order to quickly reach the one to be edited.
You can set menumanipulator.saveState to true in about:config and MenuManipulator should remember as it appeared last.
Milesch

Post by Milesch »

Not being a programmer I don't understand either of the bugs! I just know that it still doesn't work. Organize BM's can be moved to the top, but moving BM Toolbar causes failure and both entries completely disappear.

saveState did the trick and it's much easier to reach BM's.

However couldn't make changes as wanted in the Tools menu. So switched to Menu Editor and had no difficulty. Guess I'll stick with use of that extension until perhaps FF 3.1 and any necessary changes are made to the extension.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Milesch wrote:Organize BM's can be moved to the top, but moving BM Toolbar causes failure and both entries completely disappear.
Works fine for me.

Milesch wrote:However couldn't make changes as wanted in the Tools menu.
What changes? If I can't reproduce it I can't help...

Milesch wrote:Guess I'll stick with use of that extension until perhaps FF 3.1 and any necessary changes are made to the extension.
I am not aware of any necessary changes...
Milesch

Post by Milesch »

Was attempting to move several items in the Tools menu, but couldn't make them stick after restarting FF. Disabled your extension and enabled Menu Editor and moved them all. (About 10 to put in the wanted sequence - don't ask me which ones now, except to move Options to the top.)

If you can make it operate apparently I have a conflict with another extension. Guess you are saying that the current extension will work with 3.1?
dorando

Post by dorando »

Milesch wrote:If you can make it operate apparently I have a conflict with another extension.
If any extension adds/modifies something dynamically MenuManipulator might fail to generate the appropriate actions to restore the original structure.

Milesch wrote:Guess you are saying that the current extension will work with 3.1?
It seems to work fine for me in Gecko/20081202 Shiretoko/3.1b3pre. It seems Bookmarks > Bookmarks Toolbar won't get its label added dynamically anymore in 3.1 so no workaround should be necessary anymore for moving it.
Amsuke

Post by Amsuke »

I used MenuManipulator with Firefox 3.6.10 to remap the "History" pulldown menu hotkey from "S" to "I", so that the "S" key would be freed for use with website "submit" buttons. However, although the remapping took place, when I try to use "Alt-S" with a website "submit" button (such as most forums allow when posting), it doesn't work.

Somehow, MenuManipulator still isn't fully freeing up the "s" key. Is there any way to fix this?
dorando

Post by dorando »

You likely need to set ui.key.contentAccess to 4.
Amsuke

Post by Amsuke »

That worked, thank you.
mantra

Post by mantra »

dorando wrote:You likely need to set ui.key.contentAccess to 4.

sadly i update thunderbird to the last built 3.1.5 :( :(
and MenuManipulator is not more compatible
http://www.pcmech.com/article/clearing- ... he-how-to/
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated
dorando

Post by dorando »

Compatibility information has been updated, it might be necessary to click on Tools > Add-ons > Find Updates (which might incorrectly state at the top that "No updates were found" while "A compatibility update has been applied" as stated below the extension name) if the extensions didn't got re-enabled already.

Note that it is possible to disable the compatibility enforcing by adding a boolean 'extensions.checkCompatibility.3.6' (Firefox 3.6) or 'extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1' (Thunderbird 3.1) through about:config.
mantra

Post by mantra »

dorando wrote:Compatibility information has been updated, it might be necessary to click on Tools > Add-ons > Find Updates (which might incorrectly state at the top that "No updates were found" while "A compatibility update has been applied" as stated below the extension name) if the extensions didn't got re-enabled already.

Note that it is possible to disable the compatibility enforcing by adding a boolean 'extensions.checkCompatibility.3.6' (Firefox 3.6) or 'extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1' (Thunderbird 3.1) through about:config.

is it safe ?

what should i add extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1 and value ?

thanks for you great job! really
http://www.pcmech.com/article/clearing- ... he-how-to/
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated
dorando

Post by dorando »

mantra wrote:is it safe ?
Depends on what you mean, setting that pref to false allows you to install/enable extensions which don't claim support with the current Application version, but the Application will still check and warn about compatibility at various places.