SeaFox - Development

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
11ryanc

Re: SeaFox - Development

Post by 11ryanc »

Wow. Sea Fox has really made quite a bit of progress over the past months since I used it. Love the new updates.
I do have a question though, and forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this.
There are 2 things I'd like to get back from Firefox 3, even found today in modern versions. That being the dropdown identity box information, and the more modern history manager with library pane etc.
Is there perhaps a command, or addon that can grant these 2 features? Or perhaps even see something like this in a later update?
I've been curious about that for some time.
-Thanks
Browsers: Firefox ESR , Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Chromium (testing purposes).
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Thank you.

I've directed the page favicon to show the Page Info > Security tab. That's about as close to the old Identity box popup as I know how to get.

SeaMonkey uses a very different system for the History and Bookmarks... more like pre-Firefox 3.0 back when these used separate databases. Combining those into one interface is ***way*** beyond what I'm capable of.

Both of these requests deal with creating wholly new secondary interfaces and I'm really just not clever enough to do that. (And Frankly, I'm in relaxation mode and trying to not worry too much about my extensions for now)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Thank you.

I've directed the page favicon to show the Page Info > Security tab. That's about as close to the old Identity box popup as I know how to get.

SeaMonkey uses a very different system for the History and Bookmarks... more like pre-Firefox 3.0 back when these used separate databases. Combining those into one interface is ***way*** beyond what I'm capable of.

Both of these requests deal with creating wholly new secondary interfaces and I'm really just not clever enough to do that. (And Frankly, I'm in relaxation mode and trying to not worry too much about my extensions for now)

Ah, I see. Well no no biggy, current config is just fine. I just assumed maybe there was some workaround. Thanks anyways.
On an off topic note, any ideas what the shell of SM based on in particular? I've always debated with myself whether it showed more characteristics to FF 2.x, or 3.x. Closing sessions asks to save tabs or not, status bar has no customizable space by default, same context menus, etc. Hmm. Almost is like a hybrid between both, of course Sea Fox fixes that all up.
patrickjdempsey

SeaMonkey is basically the old Netscape browser from the 90's. Yes, it's still alive! Firefox and the Thunderbird email software were forked from it bout 12 years ago.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

patrickjdempsey wrote:SeaMonkey is basically the old Netscape browser from the 90's. Yes, it's still alive! Firefox and the Thunderbird email software were forked from it bout 12 years ago.

Yeah, I know it's not really changed much since it's earliest of development on the outside. But it does seem to follow some Mozilla Firefox traits, which really is probably vice versa. Interesting really.
In the end it's always nice to see a project out there that doesn't forget it's roots, and keep pulling through. Both for an extensions, and customization point of view. Projects like this, are essentially whatever the user makes of it. One of the many aspects in open source :wink:
patrickjdempsey

Firefox is the main development project and SeaMonkey is built off of the same Core, and some features end up in SeaMonkey from Firefox work (for better or worse).
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Firefox is the main development project and SeaMonkey is built off of the same Core, and some features end up in SeaMonkey from Firefox work (for better or worse).

So I'm assuming the interface remains pretty much in a static fashion? I know of some other projects that work in this direction, PM being one of them. Of course, it's direction is rather different. Though either seem to house a lot of folks not too comfortable with Australis.
patrickjdempsey

The primary UI of SeaMonkey has been essentially the same for almost a decade now. A few things like the searchbar and the findbar have changed as a result of changes in the toolkit. So yes, it's extremely stable. Extension-breaking changes are relatively rare.
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The primary UI of SeaMonkey has been essentially the same for almost a decade now. A few things like the searchbar and the findbar have changed as a result of changes in the toolkit. So yes, it's extremely stable. Extension-breaking changes are relatively rare.

Which is by far a great thing for Sea Fox's sake. lol
I really wish more themes would be developed though. Heck it would probably only need 2 updates in 2 years. Lot of amazing skins from FF 2.x and 3.x left in the dust..
patrickjdempsey

Well, I developed a new theme and Frank Lion has two new themes. Theming SeaMonkey is stupid easy compared to current Firefox.
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Well, I developed a new theme and Frank Lion has two new themes. Theming SeaMonkey is stupid easy compared to current Firefox.

Personally, I'd like to learn how to create themes myself. Always been of interest. Lot of free time available to me at this time. Any suggestion where to start? What I would LOVE to do is fork the Firefox 3 Vista Strata theme to SM. Then perhaps Kempelton, which has already been done for PM. Looks beautiful: https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/mode ... -reloaded/
At the moment, I use the FF 3 for SeaMonkey. Looks nice. Metal Lion and Kilome look cool as well.
But yeah, goal now is fork off Strata theme for SM. Can I do it..? Who knows :D
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Frank Lion has two new themes.

Are they compatible with the latest SF? After reading something a while back I've been leery about updating.. Need my eye candy..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
patrickjdempsey

Frank's themes are compatible with SeaFox except for the combined back/forward button that I added in the latest version, but if you don't use that they work great.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Done..thanks..Image
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

Metal Lion works like a champ here with Sea Fox