SeaFox - Development

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: SeaFox - Development

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Well.... just use that then.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Exalm's Old Addons Manager is based partly on my work, and used to be compatible with SeaFox, but he appears to have abandoned it: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2791661

Pity. I was going to ask him if I could appropriate his code for SeaMonkey :wink: .
patrickjdempsey wrote:There are a bunch of weird issues that come up with this and I'm not really prepared at the moment to tackle a major new feature. Lot's going on in life... about to move into a new rental house... living alone for the first time in 17 years will be interesting.
Oh dear, I hope you're OK.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Exalm's Old Addons Manager is based partly on my work, and used to be compatible with SeaFox, but he appears to have abandoned it

Have you seen this:
https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/aviary-addon-manager
This is a fork of "Old Add-on Manager" for Pale Moon that restores the orginal Aviary Toolkit style add-on manager seen in Firefox 1.0 to 3.6
Phil
patrickjdempsey

Thanks Phil. Yeah, all is well... just way too old to be living out of one room with 4 flatmates like I'm still in college. Living alone should be fun! I likely won't have internet access at the place when I move for awhile, which I probably need to take a break for a bit anyway!
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Philip Chee wrote:I've uploaded seamonkey-2.38a1.en-US.win32-20150601-233926.zip to google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B04dWkRZkXcrdG1YZDd6UmRjTGs&authuser=0
Hope this helps.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. First results:

Looks pretty gnarly but it only took me a few minutes to come up with fixes for it. I'll go through it at some point later and see if I can simplify all of this down:

Code: Select all

#addons-page { -moz-box-direction: reset!important; background-color:-moz-Dialog!important;}

#addons-page > hbox {
 -moz-box-orient: vertical; /* puts categories on top of addons */
}
#addons-page #nav-header {display:none!important;}
#addons-page .category { padding: 8px!important;}
#addons-page .category-name { padding:3px!important;}

#addons-page .main-content { padding:0!important; }

#addons-page  #header {
-moz-box-ordinal-group:10!important; /* move header to bottom */
margin-top:8px!important;
}

#addons-page .global-info-container { border:none!important; margin-bottom:-8px!important;}

#addons-page #addon-list {
margin-top:10px!important;
-moz-appearance:listbox!important;
}

.view-pane > .list > scrollbox {
-moz-padding-end: 0px!important;
}
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

SeaFox seems to be going on and off *very briefly* during SeaMonkey 2.33.1 start up and also when closing the browser.
Can't move the search bar width. Am still able to do that whilst using 2.38a1
Also, using Classic Toolbar Buttons and it too is going on and off *very briefly*
Normally I chose to clear private data , etc. when I close SeaMonkey.
And clearing private data, etc. while using SeaMonkey causes the same thing to happen when the browser starts and closes.
Also, did clean install of SM after unintstall, removes SM folder whilst using %appdata%, no SeaMonkey in the registry keys and in the Mozilla file folder.
2.33.1 downloaded from ftp.mozilla.org, brand new profile, settings and bookmarks, etc.
Themes and Personas aren't affected. Says Classic Toolbars is -signed. SeaFox doesn't say that.
Not a serious problem IMHO, but, it's odd it's not happening at all in 2.38a1
patrickjdempsey

What do you mean "going on and off"... *what* exactly is going on and off? Most of SeaFox is XUL meaning it should load before you even notice it. As far as CTB goes, there's nothing I can do with issues in that extension, and I don't test against it.

Sometimes the search bar splitter moves off into the Customize deck... just drag it back into place. Not sure why it happens.
patrickjdempsey

LuvKomputrs wrote:Says Classic Toolbars is -signed. SeaFox doesn't say that.

Mozilla is only automatically signing extensions for Firefox... which includes extensions that may also work on SM and TB.
patrickjdempsey

Have uploaded a new version with first-draft fix of the Addons Manager in SM 2.37 and up.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

patrickjdempsey wrote:What do you mean "going on and off"... *what* exactly is going on and off? Most of SeaFox is XUL meaning it should load before you even notice it. As far as CTB goes, there's nothing I can do with issues in that extension, and I don't test against it.

Sometimes the search bar splitter moves off into the Customize deck... just drag it back into place. Not sure why it happens.

SeaFox doesn't load first and then I notice it.
My apologies, should have worded that better. :oops:
Thanks for the tip for the search bar splitter. :)
Updated to SeaFox 0.4.3 and the problem with SeaFox is now gone! :D
Maybe it was just a temporary glitch? :-k
Aris does the CTB so I will be contacting him on that issue.
Thanks again for making such a wonderful add-on for SeaMonkey. =D>
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on June 6th, 2015, 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Have uploaded a new version with first-draft fix of the Addons Manager in SM 2.37 and up.

Works WUNDEBAR =D>
And I've also got the new version in 2.33.1. :wink:
patrickjdempsey

I'm still not sure I understand the problem you were having before, but I'm sure it's nothing that I "fixed". It's very possible you have an extension conflict... I'm extremely suspicious of "restartless" extensions because they seem to create more problems on startup and shutdown than they supposedly solve. Also note that the build of 2.38a I'm using seems to have some startup issues of it's own: viewtopic.php?p=14188343#p14188343

New for 0.4.3:

- Use Modern compatibility skin for LCARStrek theme
- Added buttons to standalone Downloads Progress Dialog
- Initial support for new Addons Manager in SM 2.37
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I'm still not sure I understand the problem you were having before, but I'm sure it's nothing that I "fixed". It's very possible you have an extension conflict... I'm extremely suspicious of "restartless" extensions because they seem to create more problems on startup and shutdown than they supposedly solve. Also note that the build of 2.38a I'm using seems to have some startup issues of it's own: viewtopic.php?p=14188343#p14188343

New for 0.4.3:

- Use Modern compatibility skin for LCARStrek theme
- Added buttons to standalone Downloads Progress Dialog
- Initial support for new Addons Manager in SM 2.37

The only extensions that I am using are SeaFox and CTB.
Thanks for the info on the issues with build 2.38a1
Was just thinking that could have been the reason. :-k
Not seeing any issues now.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What is a compatibility skin for a theme? I thought "skin" was another name for a theme.
patrickjdempsey

In the sense I'm using it here, "skin" (like "chrome") is a generic browser term that refers to the aspect of a theme or extension that contains the CSS files that controls the appearance. Extensions can be designed with multiple "skins" to specifically support different themes. In addition, an extension (and browser) can apply individual CSS "skins" to individual XUL elements. "Skin" is perhaps an analog but not a synonym for "theme" to developers... although laypeople use them interchangeably.

SeaFox directly supports Default, Modern, Firefox 3 for SeaMonkey, and Alfred Kayser themes. Older themes that are based on Modern: LCARStrek, Orbit Retro, and EarlyBlue are directed to use the Modern skin.