SeaFox - Development

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: [ext/dev] SeaFox - convert SeaMonkey into Firefox 3.x

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Version 0.1.5 is up: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... /versions/

New for 0.1.5:

- Added toolbar context menu to Bookmarks toolbar and to tab-strip all-tabs button.
- Make First-run classic Firefox buttons option clean up the Bookmarks toolbar.
- Hide SeaMonkey features option hides Sidebar "Search" and "Address Book" areas and Tabs button.
- Moved findbar tweaks, grippy hiding, and window menu hiding to global.css to apply to all windows.
- Created Sidebar, Downloads, New Tab, New Window, Cut, Copy and Paste toolbar buttons.
- Removed extraneous SeaMonkey menu items out of main menu via Hide Components option.
- Fixed Findbar to have labels and accesskeys for Next and Previous.
- Changed toolbar button rearrangement to accommodate custom setups using match and replace.
- Fixed first run dialog so that it's not too small.
- Added localized tooltip for urlbar Go button.
- Added addons.mozilla.org url to install.rdf.
- Fixed issues with Identity Box click and tooltips.
- Added identity-box lock icon, and worked on identity-box colors.
- Beginning of multi-theme support.
- Added support for "Firefox 3 theme for SeaMonkey".
- Added Firefox 3 icon set.
- Added Modern-like icon set based on default icon set.
- Fixed tab closer hover order.
- Added theme-specific styles for the identity box and the findbar.

All-told this is a pretty dramatic change, and there are dozens of minor tweaks I did that I forgot to record in the changelog. One thing I'd recommend doing for anyone who has installed a previous version... clear out the old XUL cache by doing the following:

After you install 0.1.5:

- In about:config, filter for "seafox" and right-click -> Reset the 3 Sea Fox preferences.
- Right-click on the main toolbar and select Customize. Restore Default Set. (this clears the XUL cache)
- Close SeaMonkey.
- Open SeaMonkey.
- You should encounter the first-run popup. Choose the options you want... I recommend to let it reset the toolbars.
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on December 2nd, 2013, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Thanks for the New Tab, New Window, Cut, Copy and Paste toolbar buttons. I use these frequently in FX. This adds ease to my transition to SM. Kudos!

Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
patrickjdempsey

Sure thing! Is that your own theme, Classic Firefox Theme, or Classic Toolbar Buttons?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Sure thing! Is that your own theme, Classic Firefox Theme, or Classic Toolbar Buttons?

A combination of my theme and Classic Toolbar Buttons. Aris asked me if he could use my icons from my FX themes to incorporate in his CTB add-on. Of course, I didn't care, so his add-on has a bunch of different icons sets to choose from. He added my icons and a lot of others as well. He also included icons from TB and added them to the SM mail.

I was using the Classic Firefox Theme for SeaMonkey, but since Aris added the icons to CTB, I've been using it instead.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
patrickjdempsey

Cool. Since you are using different parts of the Suite, let me know if you notice anything weird I need to fix. I tend to just focus on the browser. ;)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Cool. Since you are using different parts of the Suite, let me know if you notice anything weird I need to fix. I tend to just focus on the browser. ;)

So far your add-on is working great on my system. If I encounter any problems, I'll be sure to let you know! :D
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
patrickjdempsey

A note on two fixes coming your way thanks to the SeaMonkey developers (well mostly Neil Parkway):

This bug means that SeaMonkey 2.24 will carry over the favicons in the urlbar like Firefox:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=906920

Note that this will not be adding all the craziness of the Firefox 3.0+ AWESOMEBAR, just the favicons... more like Firefox 2.0 .... for those of you old farts who remember it. ;) Honestly I much prefer the simple version to the 3.0+ AWESOMEBAR thing. But then again any feature that needs the word AWESOME in it's name sounds like it's over compensating to me.

Not sure when it will land... maybe 2.24? but it looks like my bug about the autohide attribute is being worked out. When this lands I'll be able to modify what I'm currently doing to hide the menubar and make it use autohide so you can show it again using the Alt button, for Firefox 3.6 parity:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=938447
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

patrickjdempsey wrote:When this lands I'll be able to modify what I'm currently doing to hide the menubar and make it use autohide so you can show it again using the Alt button, for Firefox 3.6 parity: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=938447

Will hiding the Menu Bar be optional? I like my Menu Bar being visible (old school curmudgeon).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:When this lands I'll be able to modify what I'm currently doing to hide the menubar and make it use autohide so you can show it again using the Alt button, for Firefox 3.6 parity: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=938447

Will hiding the Menu Bar be optional? I like my Menu Bar being visible (old school curmudgeon).

It hides now as well. Press F11. The difference is that it will show up when you press Alt, and now it doesn't.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Exalm wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:

It hides now as well. Press F11. The difference is that it will show up when you press Alt, and now it doesn't.

Thanks Exalm, I'm new to using SM regularly. It will take me some time to get used to it. I didn't know about the keyboard shortcut.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Thanks Exalm, I'm new to using SM regularly. It will take me some time to get used to it. I didn't know about the keyboard shortcut.
Well, it's also View->Full Screen, and Firefox also has full screen mode, unless it has been removed with Australis.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Exalm wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Thanks Exalm, I'm new to using SM regularly. It will take me some time to get used to it. I didn't know about the keyboard shortcut.
Well, it's also View->Full Screen, and Firefox also has full screen mode, unless it has been removed with Australis.

In my opinion Firefox has been removed with Australis. May they should rebrand it by calling it AussieFox or FoxTralis?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
patrickjdempsey

In basic SeaMonkey, the menubar is always shown, with no option to remove it except in Fullscreen mode.

In Firefox, they actually use a feature called "autohide" which allows the menubar to briefly shown while it's hidden by pressing the Alt key. SeaMonkey uses this in Fullscreen mode, but it's currently broken due to some changes in bindings a few months ago.

With Sea Fox, I've added the ability to show or hide the menubar through the right-click context menu on toolbars. Because "autohide" has been broken since I started working on this feature, I haven't been able to add "autohide" to the feature.

The bug I posted should fix SeaMonkey's use of autohide in Fullscreen mode, which will allow me to fix it in Sea Fox.

Got it? :)
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:In basic SeaMonkey, the menubar is always shown, with no option to remove it except in Fullscreen mode.)
There is a grippy for that, but you removed them. ;)
patrickjdempsey

Yeah, never liked those stupid things. It's fine if you only use it for one toolbar, but once you hide more than one it becomes a pain to figure out which one is which, which makes getting to the menu when you need it a real hassle. Autohide is a much better solution. Out of the way until you need it, and instantly there when you ask for it... especially for keyboard users!