opening in the same window with tabbed links

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
nuala76

opening in the same window with tabbed links

Post by nuala76 »

With the Tabbed Browser Extension, you used to be able to leave "open any link in a new tab" selected and when you wanted the link to open in the same window you could middle-click. I liked this feature because I rarely want my links to open in the same window and it was inconvenient to check and recheck the option in preferences. That seems to be no longer possible with the latest releases, however. Is there a way to bring it back?

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on the subject, I hope I'm not being repetitive.
alanjstr

Re: opening in the same window with tabbed links

Post by alanjstr »

nuala76 wrote:With the Tabbed Browser Extension, you used to be able to leave "open any link in a new tab" selected and when you wanted the link to open in the same window you could middle-click. I liked this feature because I rarely want my links to open in the same window and it was inconvenient to check and recheck the option in preferences. That seems to be no longer possible with the latest releases, however. Is there a way to bring it back?

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on the subject, I hope I'm not being repetitive.

Are you saying the feature is there, but doesn't work? The preference to open any link/URI in a new tab is still there in TBE.

Or is it just a problem with middle click not opening in the current window. Piro is very responsive if you email him.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
nuala76

Re: opening in the same window with tabbed links

Post by nuala76 »

alanjstr wrote:
Or is it just a problem with middle click not opening in the current window. Piro is very responsive if you email him.

Exactly, middle click doesn't open in the current window. I'll try emailing him, I was just hoping someone else had come across a workaround in the meantime. Thank you.
flii

Post by flii »

middle clicking is a feature of the default phoenix browser to open links in new tabs. middle click and ctrl+click open links in new tabs even when you have 0 extensions installed. this is not piro's fault...
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

i got the single window mode working for me, but i was wondering if you can change the focus where it would immediately go to the "new window" the tab opens. right now, if i click on a link that is supposed to open a new window, then a tab is loaded in the background, just as if i had clicked the middle mouse button.

however, if i click a link with shift + middle mouse button, it loads up a new tab and immediately focuses on it. this is what i want my left button to do. any ideas?
nuala76

Post by nuala76 »

Flii wrote:middle clicking is a feature of the default phoenix browser to open links in new tabs. middle click and ctrl+click open links in new tabs even when you have 0 extensions installed. this is not piro's fault...

I understand, but it was possible to middle click and open in the same window when "open any link in a new tab" was checked previously. I was just hoping that someone would have a suggestion as to how to be able to do that again, since I haven't been able to figure it out.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

roachfiend wrote:however, if i click a link with shift + middle mouse button, it loads up a new tab and immediately focuses on it. this is what i want my left button to do. any ideas?

What about "Tools > Preferences > Advanaced > Tabbed Browsing > uncheck 'Load links in the background'"?
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

laszlo wrote:What about "Tools > Preferences > Advanaced > Tabbed Browsing > uncheck 'Load links in the background'"?

well, i like it when i use the middle mouse button for them to load in the background, but i want a left click to open and focus on the new tab.