Spreading Extensions by localization

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
goofyFr

Post by goofyFr »

Flod wrote:In any case, I will give my support to a similar project.

So will I, as far as I can help. :lol: :lol:
No doubt that most translators from htt://extensions.geckozone.org ()
would like to collaborate...
Please german fellow translators from Erweiterungen.de
http://www.firefox-browser.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=13
are you interested ?
xavivars

Post by xavivars »

Catalan translators also have a web page where all translated extensions are explained for our community: Projecte Mozilla - Softcatalà.

If you need any help, please tell us
Seewak

Post by Seewak »

Hello

jooliaan wrote:I could say a lot of extension names which are still only in english and that are not localizable because all the label entity are put directly inside the code.

The name "Firefox" is not translated... Translating extensions name is not really important (IMHO).

I'm the administrator of http://extensions.geckozone.org, a French-speaking Mozilla community site. We provide to the Mozilla user community extensions translated into French.

If you make anything, don't forget me ;)
Last edited by Seewak on July 17th, 2005, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

Seewak wrote:The name "Firefox" is not translated... Translating extensions name is not really important (IMHO).

I didn't mean to translate the name of the extensions... When I wrote the above phrase I meant is to translate the extension items... :roll:

Seewaks wrote:If you make anything, don't forget me

I'll certainly do! Thanks for your co-operation! :D
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

xavivars wrote:If you need any help, please tell us

I'm sure we will need your help too! Thank you very much! :D

[OT] I love Barcelona. I'll be there tomorrow! ;) [/OT]
Luana

Post by Luana »

goofyFr wrote:
Flod wrote:In any case, I will give my support to a similar project.

So will I, as far as I can help. :lol: :lol:

Eh eh eh !!!
Ehy, did you all guys forget me? :P :wink:
I also will give all my support to this wonderful project!!! :D
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Great idea...

Perhaps coordinating with The Extensions Mirror as well could be possible, as it is the single largest collection of extensions in one place...
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Indeed.

I'm quite pleased by the discussion going on in this thread, as I suffer more than most with regards to alerting localisers of my changes easily.

If eXtenzilla.it hadn't volunteered I'm sure sboulema and Co. would have considered creating something that could be used for a similar purpose.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Luana

Post by Luana »

TheOneKEA wrote:Indeed.

I'm quite pleased by the discussion going on in this thread, as I suffer more than most with regards to alerting localisers of my changes easily.

Exactly, this is the "right" point! :D
I think that all the authors and all the localizers need one "new and separate" Forum
Why?
Simple!
'Cause if an author would to create an "international" new extension, currently he/she has to put one or more announcement here or on TEM and wait for the answers; or he/she has to ask on eXtenZilla for Italian localization, ask on GeckoZone for French localization, ask on Firefox-browser.de for German localization, ask on Softcatalà for Catalan localization, etc etc, and wait for the answers...

But if the volunteers of all these Forums, without distinctions, choose "to blend" for this project, every single author and every single localizer will have many benefits!

No more "scattered" announcements or demands
More synchronization of localizations
Smaller time of wait
And other!

Well, I'm already thinking to the possible names of this new Forum! :P :wink:
goofyFr

Post by goofyFr »

AnonEmoose wrote:Great idea...

Perhaps coordinating with The Extensions Mirror as well could be possible, as it is the single largest collection of extensions in one place...

Yes of course but... the idea is to have a forum to work together efficiently BEFORE releasing officially, so it would be a complement to TEM, not the same thing
On the other hand I must say I am a little reluctant to consider that TEM would be the best place to work on an international basis, considering that sboulema refused some months ago to include and promote a french extension on the basis that its name was not english (though the en-US locale was duly included)
I hope this was only misunderstanding and some episode from a remote past, because as everyone I consider that TEM is the very place for extensions once they are released, thanks for that Mr Boulema.
But the point is : imho the authors-translators forum must be independent from existing other ways of publishing extensions.
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

TheOneKEA wrote:If eXtenzilla.it hadn't volunteered I'm sure sboulema and Co. would have considered creating something that could be used for a similar purpose.

As I wrote, I'm one of the owners of eXtenZilla.it and I already offered to buy a web hosting dedicated to this new project not related in any way with eXtenZilla.it.;)

goofyFr wrote:On the other hand I must say I am a little reluctant to consider that TEM would be the best place to work on an international basis, considering that sboulema refused some months ago to include and promote a french extension on the basis that its name was not english (though the en-US locale was duly included)
I hope this was only misunderstanding and some episode from a remote past, because as everyone I consider that TEM is the very place for extensions once they are released, thanks for that Mr Boulema.

I fully agree with goofyFR's opinion.

AnonEmoose wrote:Perhaps coordinating with The Extensions Mirror as well could be possible, as it is the single largest collection of extensions in one place...

What I've in mind isn't new place from where get extensions, what I'd like to create is a website/forum dedicated to extensions |10n only, where authors and localizators could stay easily in touch in order to get always updated localization for the extensions.

MatrixIsAllOver wrote:But if the volunteers of all these Forums, without distinctions, choose "to blend" for this project, every single author and every single localizer will have many benefits!

This is exactly the meaning of the project I've in my mind! :D
Seewak

Post by Seewak »

Please note that I don't speak english very well

Currently, if an extension containing french locale and english locale (example) is updated but the new version contains only english locale it causes a "parsing error". I hope this bug will disappear with Firefox 1.1 otherwise we need to warn extensions's authors. Apparently yes :o

[OT]Please vote for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=257155 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245948[/OT]
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0+
Site Admin of Extensions.geckozone.org.
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

Seewak wrote:Currently, if an extension containing french locale and english locale (example) is updated but the new version contains only english locale it causes a "parsing error".

The above one is exactly one of the reason making mr think to start (I really hope to!) this kind of project ;)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

jooliaan wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:Perhaps coordinating with The Extensions Mirror as well could be possible, as it is the single largest collection of extensions in one place...

What I've in mind isn't new place from where get extensions, what I'd like to create is a website/forum dedicated to extensions |10n only, where authors and localizators could stay easily in touch in order to get always updated localization for the extensions.

That is what I meant as well, but i guess didn't explain it well enough... I was just saying that having TEM onboard would greatly enhance the project's reach.
Seewak

Post by Seewak »

I sum up :
-We must warn authors that they do not have to update an extension if local are missing.
-We could create a glossary which list the "difficult" words and their translations. I know Frenchmozilla (team translating mozilla products into French) use a glossary written with the team translating OpenOffice.org into French.

Are you agree ?

What about :
-the (PHP ?) script
-the categories
-the site's name
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0+
Site Admin of Extensions.geckozone.org.