Mozilla to stop supporting XPCOM binary components

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
joao.augusto

Re: Mozilla to stop supporting XPCOM binary components

Post by joao.augusto »

Hi,

I have a binary xpcom that is installed by a third party software, it doesn't have a "extension" and it's not available on addons.mozilla.org.
So my question is, when you say "stop supporting XPCOM binary components" does this means that all xpcom binary that are installed via the chrome.manifest file will not be loaded ?

Thanks.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

But be aware that this is part of a longer-term strategy to start removing XPCOM from the critical path of anything in gecko. As we start removing XPCOM from the critical path of anything in gecko. As we start less valuable, to the point where we can eventually remove the XPCOM component system from Firefox completely.

REF: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla ... ypHZFWp2IJ
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
The_Rave

Post by The_Rave »

I read a developer comment before 3-4 years or so, that XPCOM is planned to be removed completely in long term schedule. So i have already there converted my XPCOM dll and changed to jc-types and compilled new dll. It was no big challenge. The code looks a lot more cleaner now. The announcement strategy is sadly not very open and addon developer have to take that they get. This was the first thing what i had to learn here.