(Still) Stuck trying to get an addon signed by Mozilla

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
kukla

(Still) Stuck trying to get an addon signed by Mozilla

Post by kukla »

Want to get Redirect Cleaner 2.4.0 signed before I lose it completely in 42. It is not verified or signed or even listed at AMO because it's developer suddenly walked away from it. I trust it and have been using it for years.

Not sure if this is the right place at Mozilla to get it signed, but this is where I'm stuck. Seems I would need a manual review, but no idea how to get that done.

Last edited by kukla on August 28th, 2015, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Stuck trying to get an addon signed by Mozilla

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Extension Development, where those who work on such things are more likely to see the question.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

What happened when you clicked "See full validation report"? No way there to reply to the review message?

You might want to join the AMO official forum @ Latest Add-ons topics - Mozilla Discourse
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
kukla

Post by kukla »

Does anything here help? Here, I'm seeing "addon passed validation," so why does the first screen show that it didn't pass?

lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

The automated signing dialog is a complete mess. It changes every day as they fix problems and try to get it to some workable state.

The image in your original message shows exactly why it failed validation. Just underneath the scary red message: "Duplicate UUID found". This addon is already hosted on AMO (possibly not visible for various reasons) and so you can't upload it again. You have to fix that and go from there.
kukla

Post by kukla »

lithopsian wrote:The automated signing dialog is a complete mess. It changes every day as they fix problems and try to get it to some workable state.

The image in your original message shows exactly why it failed validation. Just underneath the scary red message: "Duplicate UUID found". This addon is already hosted on AMO (possibly not visible for various reasons) and so you can't upload it again. You have to fix that and go from there.

That's one of the best Catch 22s I've seen in a while. Addon is still hosted, duplicate ID needs to be fixed, but duplicate can't be resolved because it's not visible at AMO.

For some interesting reading, see:
https://forums.mozilla.org/viewtopic.ph ... 841#p41841

Looks like I might have to start using Clean Links,which seems to carry on the work of the RC dev.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ean-links/
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

If it is for personal use, then just change the UUID, upload it not visible, and install the signed version.
kukla

Post by kukla »

lithopsian wrote:If it is for personal use, then just change the UUID, upload it not visible, and install the signed version.

Thanks, would this work? Change redirectcleaner@example.net.xpi to redirectcleaner@gibberish.net.xpi

But question, since I have to upload the .xpi, and that's not how it appears in the profile, if I change it to redirectcleaner@gibberish.net.xpi in the profile, will that stop it from working? And where else do I need to make that change? Besides that ID, as listed in Extensions in the profile, I'm seeing it also in the install.rdf, and maybe in other places inside the .xpi file.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Use anything unique for the UUID. It is essentially meaningless. It is only in install.rdf.

You might have to change the name also. At one time, addons were rejected for identical names, but when I tested this recently they seemed to be accepted.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Changed it to redirectcleaner@gibberish.net.xpi and lost it in the AOM. Also gone in profile>extensions. When I try to edit the ID in the install.rdf, using Text Wrangler (Mac) I get a message back saying that it needs to be edited as Save As, and that the original won't be changed.

Will try a completely different name, but that still won't change the message I'm getting when I try to edit the name in the install.rdf.

Edit: nope, as soon as I edit the ID, not matter how, in profile>extensions, the addon disappears. And for editing the install.rdf

lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Sounds like you're trying to edit the contents of a zip file with an editor that doesn't understand zip files.
kukla

Post by kukla »

lithopsian wrote:Sounds like you're trying to edit the contents of a zip file with an editor that doesn't understand zip files.

install.rdf is a zip file? Anyway, even before I get around to changing the ID there, any change I make to the .xpi file, as it appears in profile>extensions, and I lose the addon completely.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Did the following to the letter, as recommended by AMO, but still no dice. When I do this, the addon disappears completely.

1) Rename the .xpi to .zip
2) Extract the contents somewhere
3) Look for a file named install.rdf
4) Open it in a text editor, like Text Wrangler.
5) Look for the add-on ID and change it to something else. Save the file.
6) Select the extracted files and compress them again.
7) Rename the resulting file from .zip to .xpi
lithopsian

Re: (Still) Stuck trying to get an addon signed by Mozilla

Post by lithopsian »

They missed one important step:
8) Open the new xpi in Firefox (ctrl-O or drag/n/drop).

You didn't edit an addon. You created a brand new one so you have to re-install it.
kukla

Re: (Still) Stuck trying to get an addon signed by Mozilla

Post by kukla »

lithopsian wrote:They missed one important step:
8) Open the new xpi in Firefox (ctrl-O or drag/n/drop).

You didn't edit an addon. You created a brand new one so you have to re-install it.

Did that. Still no dice. Got this message, below, after just editing the ID. Next, even tried changing the name, not just the ID, everywhere in the install.rdf and also for the name of the .xpi file itself, so they would all be the same.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">
<Description about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">

<em:id>redclean@exam.net</em:id>
   <em:name>Redirect Cleaner</em:name>
   <em:version>2.4.0</em:version>
   <em:description>Redirect Cleaner cleans Redirects from Links</em:description>
   <em:creator>Alexander Bergmann</em:creator>
   <em:type>2</em:type>

<em:optionsURL>chrome://redirectcleaner/content/options.xul</em:optionsURL>

<em:targetApplication>
   <Description>
      <!-- Firefox -->
      <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
      <em:minVersion>17.0</em:minVersion>
      <em:maxVersion>27.*</em:maxVersion>
   </Description>
   </em:targetApplication>

<em:targetApplication>